Check Out Our Shop
Page 8 of 184 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast
    I'll let you know how chair 6 looks after tomorrow...
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Over/under on number of people that ski hourglass tomorrow at Tamarack ski area?I hate crowds but love complaining about them so It'll give me a reason to go.

Quote Originally Posted by BGnight View Post
    Over/under on number of people that ski hourglass tomorrow at Tamarack ski area?I hate crowds but love complaining about them so It'll give me a reason to go.
    You might see my tracks then
    I have to get to work by 8
    Even sometimes when I'm snowboarding I'm like "Hey I'm snowboarding! Because I suck dick, I'm snowboarding!" --Dan Savage

I rode up there just now, around 3-4" of snow.

Quote Originally Posted by lepistoir View Post
    You might see my tracks then
    I have to get to work by 8

I'm on the same schedule...u might have some company.

Wah wah, anyone have beta on how hourglass held up over the last two weeks? Is there ANY base back there?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1737 (1).jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	1.97 MB 
ID:	191411
    View from Rose parking lot early this morning. Taken from web cam

Name:	FullSizeRender 58.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	911.2 KB 
ID:	191412
    This afternoon around 4:00 p.m. Got bored and went for a drive. 4"-5" and snowing hard. HWY from the Reno side was a shit show as usual. People spun out and chaining up everywhere. I can't wait for winter!!

Quote Originally Posted by truckee_splitter View Post
    Wah wah, anyone have beta on how hourglass held up over the last two weeks? Is there ANY base back there?
    I can tell you how it was in the parking lot because as I had my skins on and my pack on I was about to cross the road and looked down to see I still had my sneakers on and realized my boots were resting comfortably in my office. Can't believe how many cars there were at 7:30. Not that much snow as previously reported. I'll be waiting for real snow or going somewhere else. i wasn't bummed because I honestly can't stand Tamarack. It must be what it feels like to ski in Utah.

Quote Originally Posted by BGnight View Post
    I honestly can't stand Tamarack. It must be what it feels like to ski in Utah.
    I know what you mean man.

It is so so so crowded there these days, as it's often the only game in town with easy access.

The snow was nice, creamy pow in the top third, meh in the middle third, and thin and shitty in the bottom third. I left a little after 8 a.m. and the lot was full. Not a huge fan of Tamarack with its crowds and weird, rolling, off-fall-line approach. But, as they say, it was good to get out. I got a dozen or so good pow turns this morning, which made it better than going to the gym.

BG- Forgetting a few key pieces of equipment is pretty consistent with my first outing or two every year. Today, I forgot my insulation layer, my beacon, and to put my boots into ski mode for the first 500'.

^^^^That is why I used to chase all these early season storms. Working the kinks of summer out. Now with a child and a 4 hour drive, I have to wait to fuck up once there is good snow, coverage and room to roam.

The tongue of the Mercury has helped me to remember to buckle up. I used to ski entire sides of volcanos with my mega rides in walk mode. Just figured touring boots sucked.

Stoked to see more white and get all this water.

I just got a couple runs near the towers at Relay. The snow was ok. A firm layer on the surface put it at a 6 out of 10 rating. Lots of room for mores tracks.

Did someone say a tree fell on 6 at kwood and damaged it? Man when are they going to make the investment to a few more high-speed lifts...

I agree. Palisades lift now!!

MAKE TAHOE DEEP AGAIN ~ 2016/17 OFISHUL SNOW/FOOD/WHINE & STOKE THREAD

All I know is I set the Skinner at 6 AM from the Tamarack parking lot. I turned around at the top of proletariat because it really didn't look very promising considering I had skinned on 3 or 4 inches over grass most of the way. The skiing was decent, at least where some new snow existed on top of the old snow (which had turned into a bullet proof rain crust and at least protected you from rocks). When I got back to the parking lot at 730, there were 20 cars there. Pretty sure hourglass is hammered now.

Gorgeous morning

Last edited by lepistoir; 11-01-2016 at 08:21 AM.
    Even sometimes when I'm snowboarding I'm like "Hey I'm snowboarding! Because I suck dick, I'm snowboarding!" --Dan Savage

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    I agree. Palisades lift now!!
    No no no no no no no!

Chair 6 should be ready in time. Security guy said they got tension on the haul rope today (whatever that means). He also said they never had a 'no uphill hiking' policy. It seems their new plan is that you can ski pre and post season as long as you don't get near equipment. But skinning anywhere in the valley will require a hike from the bottom
    Name:  IMG_3897.JPG
Views: 725
Size:  211.9 KB

Just deny there ever was such a policy?

When they still have this posted?

UPHILL ACCESS
    The ski area begins operations during the fall to prepare the slopes and trails for opening. Activities may include trail work, equipment across runs, snowmaking in progress, snowmobile use and snowcat operations. The work taking place makes it unsafe for public and even impassable at times for skiers or hikers. Uphill access will not be allowed on any trails during mountain preparation or during low snow conditions when the resort or portions of it are not open to the public.

“No Trespassing” signs will be posted at entry points.

SKINNING OR HIKING
    Skiing or hiking uphill is not allowed at Kirkwood Mountain Resort at any time while Winter Operations are occurring, this includes preparation for the season and operations after the season has concluded

The above stated rules are for your safety and the safety of the employees at the ski resort. Please contact the Ski Patrol with any questions 209.258.7233

Did you get his name? How was the snow?

I can still park in the upper lot, as we pay a lease and know an owner in the valley. Ultimately, tho, leaving from my buddies place in the meadow is not that much longer, especially if you plan to lap. It could make access to the gulch harder, but you can just climb from the road as well. And there is a the A frame as well. They don't care down there.

I mentioned that the signs were gone and he said they just took them down for the storm. It seemed as though he was coached on what to say.
    There was not enough snow

There's new management at KW this year correct? Could explain a policy change and ski resorts are notoriously slow at updating their web sites.

I don't know why any lift upgrades are needed. I quite enjoy the 15 minute ride up to the wall. ;-) But in all seriousness, on some days there are already traffic jams up top as gapers try to side slip down the drop-in so I'm not sure you could increase capacity. Maybe higher speed with less chairs.

Name:	judah-2016-11-01_10_05_02.975.jpg 
Views:	201 
Size:	254.2 KB 
ID:	191518

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    There's new management at KW this year correct? Could explain a policy change and ski resorts are notoriously slow at updating their web sites.

I don't know why any lift upgrades are needed. I quite enjoy the 15 minute ride up to the wall. ;-) But in all seriousness, on some days there are already traffic jams up top as gapers try to side slip down the drop-in so I'm not sure you could increase capacity. Maybe higher speed with less chairs.
    I think it's only the GM that has changed, but dunno.
    If they replace 10, I believe the offload would be more on top of Thimble, so you could access backside...

Is that in the plan? I thought it followed the same lift line, just the base station was about 100 yards up hill, near the exit to the Drain.

And 6 is what they are working on I believe. Due to wind damage.

^^ Yes, 6 was damaged. I was just talking in general about lift upgrades. The idea of shifting the top unloading station is interesting. Gets pretty windy at the top of Thimble although I guess not much more than the final stretch of the current lift so probably wouldn't make a difference operationally.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeBC View Post

Name:	judah-2016-11-01_10_05_02.975.jpg 
Views:	201 
Size:	254.2 KB 
ID:	191518
    Looks nice! A few more inches than Fx? Bet today was better day to ski. Any reports?