Check Out Our Shop
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by wyeaster View Post
    that article makes me a little nervous. i didn't realize that even the apps are online based. i've never used the cloud or been dependent on wifi to access things.

Gave my mom an Irulu Walknbook for Mother's Day. Load it up with a 128gb SanDisk Extreme Pro MicroSD card (95MB/S), and you have a Surface Pro. Irulu is a JV of Intel and Microsoft.

The fast SD card makes it rock out. 95 MB/s is almost as fast as a hard drive. 10" tablets are cool. 10" tablets with full Win 10.1 and detachable weighted keyboards, bluetooth, multiple HDMI & USB ports and great battery life are everything netbooks could have been, with none of the downsides.

Scored mine on sale. They seem to be about $40 higher now @ $189 on NewEgg and Zon, but you'll still be impressed. +$70 for the SD card, and you're still 10-12% under budget.

http://www.amazon.com/Walknbook-Conv...keywords=iRulu

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...9SIA4TX2RC6951

10" or around there in tablet form and long battery life is the way to go these days if you're not getting a workhorse or gaming laptop
    holy fucking shitballs

Look at refurbished Lts
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

anybody ever use woot?
    Yes. Never an issue

i don't need photoshop or anything extensive. most resize and crop.
    Then Chromebook ftw. They are cheap and work great for what you need.

Quote Originally Posted by AaronWright View Post
    You can do word processing, work with pictures and browse the internet with a chromebook.
    You can. However, two things with the Chromebook: a) no CD/DVD and b) need wifi.

So if you don't need the optical drive and you are ok on wifi all the time (or have a large amount of data on your cell phone plan and your device and carrier allow personal hotspot use) the Chromebook by itself is pretty darn nice if the available apps fit your needs. Plus I like that mine has SSD instead of a HDD. The spinning mechanical drive is what sours me on [cheap] laptops. And SSD jacks up the price of a laptop. I really like the combo of a Chromebook and a desktop. Besides, OP has said he has a kid. Having a device (the Chromebook) you can throw at a kid when you desperately need to get something done on the computer (your desktop) is money.
    I see hydraulic turtles.

There are many ways to work on a Chromebook without internet. You can also buy some that have included cell data, some fore free with purchase, some minimal cost for those few times you aren't near free Wi-Fi

Quote Originally Posted by highangle View Post
    Gave my mom an Irulu Walknbook for Mother's Day. Load it up with a 128gb SanDisk Extreme Pro MicroSD card (95MB/S), and you have a Surface Pro. Irulu is a JV of Intel and Microsoft.

The fast SD card makes it rock out. 95 MB/s is almost as fast as a hard drive. 10" tablets are cool. 10" tablets with full Win 10.1 and detachable weighted keyboards, bluetooth, multiple HDMI & USB ports and great battery life are everything netbooks could have been, with none of the downsides.

Scored mine on sale. They seem to be about $40 higher now @ $189 on NewEgg and Zon, but you'll still be impressed. +$70 for the SD card, and you're still 10-12% under budget.

http://www.amazon.com/Walknbook-Conv...keywords=iRulu

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...9SIA4TX2RC6951
    Hmmmm. Battery life seems a little short. Otherwise It looks pretty good. And I see one for $140. Grey instead of orange.
    I see hydraulic turtles.

Doesn't look like there is much success with Linux on the iRULU (I Rule You). Not at all surprised though. Windows only is a deal breaker for me.
    I see hydraulic turtles.

anybody ever use woot?
    I have done some Woot deals, but not many computer systems from them (pricing can be higher than other sources unless it is a really great deal). Waiting for a cell phone case right now from them (past the estimated delivery date by the way). They are now owned by Amazon and if the deal is good, it will not last so you have to pull the trigger fast as they will sell out. Same deal may come back later though too. Some of their computer deals are refurbished units, some are new. Many of them are either HP, Lenovo, Dell, and occasionally Asus.

What size screen are you looking for- 14 inch, 15.6 inch or something smaller? Intel iCore 3 should be just fine for basic WP and other tasks you mention.

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    You can. However, two things with the Chromebook: a) no CD/DVD and b) need wifi.

So if you don't need the optical drive and you are ok on wifi all the time (or have a large amount of data on your cell phone plan and your device and carrier allow personal hotspot use) the Chromebook by itself is pretty darn nice if the available apps fit your needs. Plus I like that mine has SSD instead of a HDD. The spinning mechanical drive is what sours me on [cheap] laptops. And SSD jacks up the price of a laptop. I really like the combo of a Chromebook and a desktop. Besides, OP has said he has a kid. Having a device (the Chromebook) you can throw at a kid when you desperately need to get something done on the computer (your desktop) is money.
    Who really uses a CD/DVD drive on their laptop anymore? It's a mechanical drive and you don't like mechanical drives, see quote.

Wifi is ubiquitous, I'd be surprised if someone doesn't have it at home.

These may have been issues ten years ago but not today.

thanks for all the suggestions. i really need to be able to walk in somewhere and buy one tomorrow because i have a lot of deadlines looming. if it will save me a ton to buy it online or that is the only option then i guess i have to decide. i have a shitload of writing to do by saturday and it's not really the stuff i want to work on at the library.
    If you are limited to brick and motor stores- Staples or office supply stores, Costco, Target, Best Buy or similar electronics stores (Fry's even better), or Walmart as last resort. Shop clearance or sales and also if you find something online at a better price, then play the price match game (not all do price matching though) by having a print out or the web site up on your phone showing the same model at the lower online price from Amazon, Woot, or other stores. Biggest problem you will have at Walmart is they are all really low end (Cheaply built) models many times specifically for them only and the model numbers will be different than any you see elsewhere.

Woot and some other deal sites will probably not work if you need immediate availability and can't wait for shipping of at least 2 or more days.

my current hp laptop has a 13" screen i think. i usually have a lot of stuff open with stuff side by side -- which according to some of the articles about the chromebook, can be a problem. i can change my ways to a degree but i usually work with 2 screens at home and i don't want to make it difficult to work with one because the computer can't handle multiple tabs and programs --usually multiple browser and documents. obviously, it's supposed to be portable so i can't complain about screen size unless i want to lug a giant laptop, which i did for many years before my current laptop. that one was a workhorse and cost twice as much as the one i have now. i need to think minimalist but functional. i wouldn't want a smaller screen (measured diagonally, right?) for writing i don't think plus my eyes aren't great. at home i can hook up to the monitor and keyboard. i'd also want to be able to stream netflix or whatever since i don't and won't have cable. if i can get 2-3 years of solid not frustrating use out of a $300 computer i would be happy. it seems like free wifi is fairly available around pdx. mostly, if i'm out with the laptop it's because i have to write something.

This place is pretty reputable. I'm about to bite the bullet on an older hot rodded Mac Pro.

https://eshop.macsales.com/shop/Appl...cs_and_Tablets

Btw, I despise the IPad operating system. Seriously thinking of a used laptop.

Who really uses a CD/DVD drive on their laptop anymore? It's a mechanical drive and you don't like mechanical drives, see quote.

Wifi is ubiquitous, I'd be surprised if someone doesn't have it at home.

These may have been issues ten years ago but not today.
    My wife. She is always burning CDs or DVDs of her photos that she takes for people. Cheap, easy way to hand someone something. And in a lot of ways, easier than sharing it online, especially with older people.

WiFi is not ubiquitous if you are an outdoor person.
    I see hydraulic turtles.

i keep most of my stuff on a portable hard drive with usb connection. i am an outdoor person, but hopefully when i'm outdoors i'm not working or at least not needing wifi. just like when my son is around, he is what i focus on. when he comes into the room, the computer gets closed. as long as i can write without internet access, i should be fine. does anybody have any reservations about cloud based apps and storage? i suppose it's not more risky than normal everyday online exposure.

Get a Toshiba Chromebook 2. Best reviewed, you can get a 16 gb version at Best Buy for $269. They are in stock at several stores in/near Portland.

Get a Toshiba Chromebook 2. Best reviewed, you can get a 16 gb version at Best Buy for $269. They are in stock at several stores in/near Portland.
    i'm sure if your girlfriend can function as a professional writer with one i can be a 50 year old stay at home dad with one. thanks for all the input, everybody. i still have a couple hours but i'm leaning toward a chromebook at this point.

Yeah, you really can't go wrong with a Chromebook if your computing needs are super basic. A side benefit is that ChromeOS is apparently one of the most secure if not THE most secure OS's out there. Pretty much no need to worry about viruses with these guys. That makes them the ultimate computer for old people who love their stupid chain e-mails.

Refurbished Lenovo Thinkpad

This is a great machine for the money:

http://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-Thinkpa...ished+thinkpad
    Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    Hugh Conway sucks
    Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    I guess stfu might be right about steel toed boots
    Quote Originally Posted by pedoherp69 View Post
    I know actual transpeople.
    Quote Originally Posted by rokjoxx View Post
    We is got a good military, maybe cause some kids get to shooting sports early here.

Quote Originally Posted by AustinFromSA View Post
    First off, skip Costco. They're (typically) a ripoff when it comes to computers. One of the lines of products that they carry that are NOT a good deal.

Now that we have that out of the way, for a good cheap computer check into the Asus brand. Wife's had hers for 5 years now, and it was a budget sub-$300 model I picked up at BB. If it can survive her total abuse of electronics, then it should be fine for you. Been very pleased with the build quality and longevity. Just go with mediocre specs (all you need) and you should be able to pick one up for a reasonable price. Whatever you pick up, since it'll be a cheap computer, plan on tons of bloatware that will slow it down. So the first thing you should do is just run "PC Decrapifier" and voila. Your mediocre, cheap-o computer will run speedily and should be mostly free of crapware. A great way to turn a cheap, budget computer into something that's actually pretty good.
    I've bought two computers at Costco. Best thing about them besides great prices is 90 day return no questions asked. You can't do that with the majority of computer sellers. One of mine was a dud and if I hadn't of purchased it at Costco, I would have had to deal directly with Asus and that turns into the nightmare.

I paid $529 for a super beefy Asus laptop and love it - I use an external wireless keyboard and mouse as well, makes all the difference but I have to be mobile, thus the laptop over desktop.

Quote Originally Posted by stfu&gbtw View Post
    Refurbished Lenovo Thinkpad

This is a great machine for the money
    +1

If you need to buy one TODAY at a store, then I'd suggest:

- search slickdeals for sales at Staples, Office Depot type stores
    - google for coupon codes for those stores
    - use ebates or similar cash-back kickback shopping portal to purchase
    - buy online (so you can use the coupons, codes, ebates), pick up in store
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    My wife. She is always burning CDs or DVDs of her photos that she takes for people. Cheap, easy way to hand someone something. And in a lot of ways, easier than sharing it online, especially with older people.

WiFi is not ubiquitous if you are an outdoor person.
    you can get USB external DVD drives that would work for the occasional use like burning the photos. Or you could upload them to the cloud or internet sites out there for viewing and/or put them on a flash or thumb drive to burn on another computer.

As for the need for wifi, that really is going to be a personal debate. If you say are travelling (passenger in a car, train, plane, etc.) and want to fire up the system and can only use it if wifi hot spot or more costly 4G cellular connections are your only option, then maybe not the best solution. But if you are the type that can fire it up at home, work, or any of the number of locations with free public wifi available (hotel, restaurant or coffee shop, etc.) and are fine with that then consider a Chromebook. If it is all about money, then the big savings is the Windows license on the computer. Get the computer with Linux installed instead of Windows and save the $ and not have to deal with Chromebook.

not to totally change the equation but if were possible to spend $500, how would that change your thinking? i'm trying to decide whether an initially greater investment is worth it over a $300 chromebook. sorry for changing the target. i hate buying computers.