Check Out Our Shop

Skimo Race Bindings: Plum 99 and Ski Trab Gara Titan

I know it's not the right crowd overall, but I also know there are a few who might have some info- thinking of upgrading my race setup, there are some pretty slick new binding options out there. Top on my list are the Plum 99s and the Ski Trab Gara Titans... seems like the Trabs are a great option but you must depress the toe when entering (i.e. can't just click in toe), which seems like it's OK once you get used to it but a potential PITA. On the other hand, Plum 99s seem great on paper but the low weight makes me wonder if they'll just explode or break.

Any slim chance someone's tried either of these?

The ski trabs look good. I only know of one racer using them so far, but they seemed to like them. PM me and I can get you in contact. The heel is the same bomber heel they've had for a while. Having used the similar toe-depress entry on TR2s, it really isnt a big deal, and is probably less likely to miss-enter than a standard heel. Depression can be done with your thumb in sketchy spots or ski-pole on flatter stances.

Also, as FYI, I've got trab race adjusts on my backup skis, and LTR2.0s on my main race skis.

I have the Gara Titans - have only been out in them a few times but they are solid - no more fiddly than any other skimo binder.

But I strongly suggest adjustable styles - unless you REALLY like the boots you are using now.

Get the red ones in the longest, stiffest version available
    "...if you're not doing a double flip cork something, skiing spines in Haines, or doing double flip cork somethings off spines in Haines, you're pretty much just gaping."

Call Jason at Skimo.co, he knows his stuff and is a straight shooter and will give you his honest option.

What bindings do you have now/are thinking of upgrading from?
    When life gives you haters, make haterade.

Thanks... Updating whole setup from Dynafit race performance and plum 145

Quote Originally Posted by yesIsaidyes View Post
    But I strongly suggest adjustable styles - unless you REALLY like the boots you are using now.
    Bah -- you just haven't lived life to its fullest until you've remounted nonadjustable skimo race bindings for a ~4mm bsl differential.
    Mo' skimo here: NE Rando Race Series

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan S. View Post
    Bah -- you just haven't lived life to its fullest until you've remounted nonadjustable skimo race bindings for a ~4mm bsl differential.
    And I do REALLY like my alien 1.0s

Adjustable bindings are for people who want to go slower. Or if you share your backup skis with your wife.

Are you replacing your bindings on your same skis? Or getting new skis/bindings?

I haven't fondled either new version, but I have used TR Race and TR Race Adjustable, Plum 165, ATK SL, ATK SL-R Lady, ATK Revolution R, Dynafit LTR 2014

I don't like bindings toes that need a separate plate for the toe to lock correctly. So that means the old Plum toes, and old Trab toes(and new Trab toes, but I haven't specifically fondled them). Depending on what you will be using them for I find having a crampon receptor VERY nice. I sold my ATK SL(plus ski) this past fall for a pair of SL-R specifically because not having a crampon mount on my race skis was a limiting factor. I am not thrilled with the old Plum crampon mount, not the Trab mount. I don't know if the Plum 99 can take a crampon mount.

I would strongly suggest buying a pair of ATK bindings from Italy. The Revolution toes are much easier to step into than any other toe I have used. The Revolution heel spring will not wear even though it is titanium(steel bushings on the ends). And the SL-R while lacking those advantages of the Revolution is still a better binding than anyone else makes.

I'm pretty sure the 99 lacks any means of using crampons.
    Agreed that the old Plum crampon mount does not look reassuring but I've used it for a lot of tricky traversing. (Including today!)

Quote Originally Posted by timmaio View Post
    Are you replacing your bindings on your same skis? Or getting new skis/bindings?
    Both skis and bindings.
    Or whatever it will take for him to finally beat me.
    Oh wait, he did on Saturday. So maybe he no longer needs to upgrade?

Quote Originally Posted by dark_star View Post
    And I do REALLY like my alien 1.0s
    I've said that about two different pairs of boot that I had mounted with nonadjustable bindings.
    Then yet another perfect boot comes along...

I'm pretty sure the 99 lacks any means of using crampons.
    Agreed that the old Plum crampon mount does not look reassuring but I've used it for a lot of tricky traversing. (Including today!)
    The lack of crampon mount doesn't really worry me- these would be 100% dedicated to racing/training on hardpack, with my current setup moving to backup and actual use in the mountains. (They are Plum 135/145s and can accept crampons)

Both skis and bindings.
    Or whatever it will take for him to finally beat me.
    Oh wait, he did on Saturday. So maybe he no longer needs to upgrade?
    Well, you're a tough, stone-cold competitor who doesn't make stupid transition mistakes (unlike me) so I anticipate still needing every edge going forward

I've said that about two different pairs of boot that I had mounted with nonadjustable bindings.
    Then yet another perfect boot comes along...
    True- not gonna lie, if the option to pick up the DNA for cheap and save 1/2 lb per foot (OVER THE ALIEN 1.0) came along, it would be hard to pass up!

Quote Originally Posted by dark_star View Post
    The lack of crampon mount doesn't really worry me- these would be 100% dedicated to racing/training on hardpack, with my current setup moving to backup and actual use in the mountains. (They are Plum 135/145s and can accept crampons)
    I'd still go for the ATK. The 2015-2016 line have removable crampon mounts. I feel they are much better engineered than Plum, Dynafit or Trab. Even their 'heavy' race bindings are still only 115gr and they inspire much more confidence in me. I can find the 2015-2016 SL Evo for $379 Eur from Europe, so a pretty good deal.