Womens touring/ side country boot

Looking for an opinion from the boot gurus as to their thoughts on a boot for the wife. Currently she has last years Salomon XMax 110W which she enjoys but we picked her up a Praxis BC and now are looking to toss on a Marker Tour10 (5x used from a friend) or maybe a full tech binder. I'm pushing for the full tech setup (do it right once is my thought) but she looking to be smart with money...ugh. She is currently on alpine Trekkers....I know it was cruel of me.

With that said I'm thinking of getting her a boot to bridge the cost but also make up hill a bit more enjoyable, one where once she is done hearing the tours clap around we can then move to a tech binding. I like the idea of lugged sole and having the rear articulation in a cuff which is part of the reason why I'm on this kick for her...plus I'm all geared out...so now I can't spend it on me I look to her...gear lust.

The 2 boots I'm looking for opinions on (open to others) are the Cochise Pro W and the Scarpa Freedom SL womens....both this season. She has a narrow heel and is slightly flat footed.

Any experiences with either boot or other options is appreciated.

Thanks

What size is her foot and how large are her calfs? If 22 and large, the options might be very limited. If 24 and small, things are much easier. To check calf space in the shell fit, check to see if the calf, achilles, and heel can all touch the shell at the same time. (Maybe GregL or mntlion can chime in with better info on how to check appropriate calf volume.)

Cochise Pro W does not come in a true 22, but it does come in a true 23. I can't comment besides that. Some shops say the size 23 weighs 18XX g, which seems really high to me...a consideration depending on how long you plan on touring. The Scarpa Freedom comes in a true 22, but the heel pocket is much too large for my girl's narrow heels. The Dynafit boots come in small sizes and have decent heel hold, but you can't really punch the calf out because of the placement of the lock mechanism. If her calf fits into the TLT6P or Mercury W, I'd go that route. A few months ago, you could find the small sizes on closeout for amazing deals; not sure if that's still the case.

Agreed that you should go tech now. Gear swap has some good deals on Dynafiddles right now, or EpicTV shop has the best deals I've seen. If she still wants to ski the resort, hold onto the Sallys and alpine binders. (Also: if she has a super narrow heel, when the Sallys die, maybe consider a 110-flex junior race boot like the Lange SC or Head Raptor B5 on closeout. I've seen Head B5s go for <$200 on eBay. Just an option.)
    Last edited by auvgeek; 11-16-2015 at 11:33 PM.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

has anyone bought gear from Epic TV and had it shipped to NA? I don't believe they will.

^^They have an extensive list of brands that cannot be shipped to the US, but I don't think Dynafit is on that.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

still 1 pair of last years size 22 vulcans at conrad for only 199eu ... practicality free!
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Womens touring/ side country boot

She came out of a dobie Jr. boot and there is no going back. The resort boot I'd consider is the Lange Rpz but...right now the XMax with the work we've done has her happy.

I saw sac and other sites unloading the Merc W, kicking myself but that's life and I'm not sold the Merc is the boot for times we head to the resort in a pinch.

I'm looking at a BSL of around 275 or so. Admittedly I've gone to fondle boots but haven't brought her, that time is nearing...looking to gain more info outside of the web reviews and me fingering a boot. She has high calves which aren't large...noticeable but not college soccer large (no offense to anyone)

I'd ultimately like this next boot to do a majority of double duty as her 2 all mountain skis are wtr binders. She runs a Kastle rx70 that is the only ski which isn't compatible.

Weight wise it's a win regardless, she was previously lugging up weight and I was skiing it down.

I do wish solly had a female mtn lab to mix it up choice wise. Bottom line is that I have to get her foot in some boots now or she's just going to say mount the tours....and here I am wanting to spend money on her.

Quote Originally Posted by jmars View Post
    The 2 boots I'm looking for opinions on (open to others) are the Cochise Pro W and the Scarpa Freedom SL womens....both this season. She has a narrow heel and is slightly flat footed.
    Is there a reason your two picks are flat-soled boots? Rocker sole walks so much better. Narrow heel and slightly flat foot ---> Scarpa Gea or Gea RS, but you won't know until she tries 'em on.
    Last edited by Big Steve; 11-18-2015 at 01:23 PM.

Just upgraded from Mercury to Vulcan, if it fits IME the Mercury is enough boot for the resort/ sidecountry and the Vulcan is for damn sure

Just went through this with my lady. She normally skis a Lange 120. The Scarpa was way too soft and practically buckled on her. The Cochise was a tad soft forward but laterally sufficiently stiff. The ROM on the Cochice is damn good, ordered them up and will see how they do in the next few weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Steve View Post
    Is there a reason your two picks are flat-soled boots? Rocker sole walks so much better. Narrow heel and slightly flat foot ---> Scarpa Maestrale or Maestrale RS, but you won't know until she tries 'em on.
    Steve, honestly no real reason and something I should've brought into the fold from the start.

Understand that BSL doesn't tell you shit about interior dimensions.

X, I get it. Did and done my fair share of boot fits...no guru but enough to be smarter than many.

We'll be getting her into some boots this weekend. As for the tech binding...I may just pull the trigger and not tell her.

My daughter skis BD Shiva with Intuitions and loves them.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Buy what fits HER best?

Quote Originally Posted by mntlion View Post
    Buy what fits HER best?
    Mtn....clearly I will only buy her what fits her best. I was curious to hear opinions on from those that have more knowledge and experience then I. The market isn't all that big for women, growing but not huge.......yet.

Quote Originally Posted by jmars View Post
    Steve, honestly no real reason and something I should've brought into the fold from the start.
    Get her a real AT boot then, Gea RS or Hercury.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by snapt View Post
    Just went through this with my lady. She normally skis a Lange 120. The Scarpa was way too soft and practically buckled on her. The Cochise was a tad soft forward but laterally sufficiently stiff. The ROM on the Cochice is damn good, ordered them up and will see how they do in the next few weeks.
    Interesting. Mine is on the Lange 120W and has had the Scarpa Freedom SL for two seasons. She loves them for touring; not as lite as some Dynafits, but can really deliver on the down, as most of our "touring" is sidecountry/shorter treks. They're not alpine stiff, but plenty for her when touring.

She bought the Scarpas hoping to use them as her all around boot, but it wasn't quite enough for the resort (driving un-rockered Fatypus 112mm and Head Monsters).

Also @XavierD - Dynafit is good to go from EpicTV. I got Merc's last month for $330 ($100 less than in the US). Boots showed up within 5 business days WITH free $50 carbon Superfeet insole. Not sure if that's a good-guy giveaway or just random or what, but I'm a fan of the French!

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Scientist View Post
    II got Merc's last month for $330 ($100 less than in the US). Boots showed up within 5 business days WITH free $50 carbon Superfeet insole. Not sure if that's a good-guy giveaway or just random or what, but I'm a fan of the French!
    Its what is a model change, consider the mercuy & vulcan were pretty much the same boot for the last 3 years so whatever didn't get sold one year would get sold the next year as the latest/greatest, but when they told us last spring the Khion was coming the ONE/Mercury/Vulcan were suddenly last years boots which a retailer then had to clear

SO I picked up a pair of Vulcans for 330can$ in the spring, sold my Mercs yesturday for 250can$ for a net cost of 85$ to upgrade to what was a 1000$ boot one year ago and you got a smokin deal on a great albeit last years boot

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    a net cost of 85$ to upgrade to what was a 1000$ boot one year ago and you got a smokin deal on a great albeit last years boot

Exactly. I'm in a similar position with my previous boots; less than $100 out the door for a "last years" upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by XavierD View Post
    Understand that BSL doesn't tell you shit about interior dimensions.
    Particularly AT boots, which have non-standard sole shapes and lengths.