Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
    Cauliflowers

Last edited by Phatstix; 09-29-2005 at 01:29 AM.

Last edited by Phatstix; 09-29-2005 at 12:51 AM.

Phatstix, i love that first photo. First the view of the faces from the heli is amazing, then I noticed the teeeeny weeeny skier ripping spray filled turns down the face...then the smiling open mouth of the heli occupant finishes it. Rad.

KS: very glad to hear that you are OK after that ride.... the word "intense" seems to be an understatement.

To the whole crew that was up there: thanks for an awesome TR of an awesome trip and thanks for helping me decide what guides to use when (no longer if) i make it up to AK. Way to get after it and kill it!

Helllll Yeahhhhh!
    SS

Happiness

Last edited by Phatstix; 09-29-2005 at 01:03 AM.

I just got to drool over this entire thread. you guys scored with weather and killed it, I love that fucking place! props to KS for hanging tough after his chugach sliegh ride, scary shit. I doubt it was skier error, Theo says random tough guy shit, but he kept you out there. some dude who had the misfortune of a similar ride when I was up there got packed into the heli, heading home and crying (literally).
    Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature... Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. -Helen Keller

I'm not Mr.AK by any strech of the imagination, but my favorite Theo-ism was an evening at the ARL lot, hanging with KKreit... and others, having some beers by a big fire ... as we wrapped up the evening (with Northern Lights blowing up above us) Theo turns to a highly stoked and silent crew and says, in a very surfer kind of way:

"Tomorrow WE RIDE!" Then walked away, without saying another word, into the darkness.

That pretty much says it all; He/We live to ride, hunt the Blue.

Thnx again for a killer report fellas - very nice.

nice. very nice indeed.
    the only question left for me(aside from where the hell do i get 5000euros ) is: why aren't airbag backpacks standard equipment in AK ?
    every comercial guiding service here in europe uses them for their clients by now and they have very convincing statistics on their side.
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

Theo is extremely progressive in his approach to dealing with and escaping capture - so, I am sure that they will have airbag devices in the near future. But, I think that clients should also take the initiative on their own to procur the best chance for survival.
    "When restraint and courtesy are added to strength, the latter becomes irresistible."
    Mohandas Gandhi

Just finished this amazing read. Glad to to see you back in one piece KS. Your words really captured the rush. I'll get there one day, perhaps with you clowns.

nice work Gents.
    Thanks.
    cool to read this after FEELING the stoke of it in the tram line with KS and Malo

I wont let this post die...

MORE PIX guys, I know you got 'em!

Nice pix MB (phatstixx); I like the Oakley fisheye funky funk, very cool!

__________________________________________________ ______

Two rules:
    1. Preserve the principal
    2. When in doubt, see rule # 1
    Warren Buffett

Quote Originally Posted by subtle plague
    nice. very nice indeed.
    the only question left for me(aside from where the hell do i get 5000euros ) is: why aren't airbag backpacks standard equipment in AK ?
    every comercial guiding service here in europe uses them for their clients by now and they have very convincing statistics on their side.
    Explosive device + heli =

Basically, there is fear that an accidental detonation of an airbag while in the heli basket could produce any number of undesireable effects: the most likely is causing the basket to be blown open and gear or other debris being sucked into the rotors.

If there's one thing AK guys are more saftey-oriented about than avy stuff, it's the helis.

Glad you're OK KS. I hope everyone else had a blast.

Exclamation Chet story

Quote Originally Posted by joshbu
    If there's one thing AK guys are more saftey-oriented about than avy stuff, it's the helis.
    So Chet is an infamous heli pilot up in Valdez when it all started....
    He flew in Nam now he was shuttling giggling kids around. What a guy.

This Newbie skier is sean approaching the heli with his skis in the upright and dangerous position. Chet tackles him and proceeds to fire his 45 into the snow next to the guys head.

Quote Originally Posted by Baconzoo
    This Newbie skier is sean approaching the heli with his skis in the upright and dangerous position. Chet tackles him and proceeds to fire his 45 into the snow next to the guys head.
    The way it should be.

Chet was the original Chugach cowboy.
    Dude had more bullet holes in him than anyone I've ever met.

If you listen to your guide and do as you are told, these situations will not happen (at least in this case). I won't get into the whole thing, but Bruce's tracks remained.
    Glad everything worked out Rocky and happy that you are home safe and sound.

Random

Last edited by Phatstix; 09-29-2005 at 01:12 AM.

Great write up by all involved, amazing pictures, made me feel like I was right there with you guys. Also, gives me pause as to why the 'other' operations run them the way that they do (farming, skiing within ski cuts, etc.), it's a dangerous place. Glad that everyone is OK and made it out unscathed, skiing ain't worth dying over.

Quote Originally Posted by Alioops
    If you listen to your guide and do as you are told, these situations will not happen (at least in this case). I won't get into the whole thing, but Bruce's tracks remained.
    Glad everything worked out Rocky and happy that you are home safe and sound.
    Ali, that's not an accurate reflection of the conversation that ensued between Bruce and me. I did not violate any specific instructions (i.e. - he did not instruct me to stay left of his tracks). Also, I was not admonished for anything I did - all he said was: "notice that my tracks remained". My guess is that had I not hit the button, Natty, Paul, or phatstix would have.

Anyway, to say that "these situations will not happen" if you listen to your guide is a falsehood; there are plenty of situations where you could get hurt despite listening to a guide in Alaska. It is amazing that I survived my first two seasons riding Valdez with no guide to protect me.

Finally, I agree with Splat. Not sure what you're going for with your post. You had five days of seeing me almost every day to discuss this and said nothing. If you read my comments on the whole ordeal, you already know that I accept responsibility for my actions, whether it be how I ski a line or whether I undertake the risk of heli-skiing in Alaska in the first place when I have tremendous responsibility to my children.

I am glad that Bruce did not take me to task like that, and am sure that you meat no harm, so none taken.
    "When restraint and courtesy are added to strength, the latter becomes irresistible."
    Mohandas Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by Ireallyliketoski
    Also, gives me pause as to why the 'other' operations run them the way that they do (farming, skiing within ski cuts, etc.), it's a dangerous place .

The reason that "other" ops (I presume you mean Alaskan) do this is because the soaring costs of jet fuel and insurance have changed their target clientele from young rippers (heli runs cost $35 a run when I started skiing AK) to people like the Nordstroms and their fortunate ilk, who don't necessarily have the ability or the inclination to put as much on the line. (I think the Nordstrom's actually kill it, but can't confirm - just wanted to name-drop a known client of the other guys )

That is why am trying to emphasize to my friends here on the internet that if you want to experience Alaska as you view it in the movies, and how it was done back when Doug Coombs was running the show, you better ski with Alaska Rendezvous Guides. If you want the miminum risk in Heli-Skiing, I would steer clear of Alaska altogether.
    Mohandas Gandhi

this thread is amazing.
    thanks to all involved for bringing it all out is such vivid detail and color.

Karl, so happy that you made it out of that situtation. meeting you at the summit i felt like we were on the same page about a lot of stuff. i was sorry we didn't get to ski much together then, but am greatfull that we have the opportunity to in the future!

Quote Originally Posted by Karl Stall
    ......you better ski with Alaska Rendezvous Guides. If you want the miminum risk in Heli-Skiing, I would steer clear of Alaska altogether.
    I heard Owens runs a very nice op. And Points North. And H20. And....and....let's mention Owens again.

'Owens'. There.

And......great story, guys.

Ali made an oops.

If you got somthing to say fuggin say it to the mans face. If you want to wait until a few thousand miles of buffer exists, you're getting called out.

Don't forget who the employees are and who the clients are. It's a very important distinction that other's have struggled with here at TGR.

Thumbs up

Great write up by all involved, thanks for sharing the pictures, sharing the stoke.
    Skiing, where my mind is even if my body isn't.