Check Out Our Shop
Page 271 of 280 FirstFirst ... 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 ... LastLast
Results 6,751 to 6,775 of 6991

I love my wife and all, but Jesus Hercules Christ...

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    I posted a link to a blog written by a James Beard award nominee who said to stop using salted butter. And the comments are pretty telling in that this is obviously debated in the “serious” cooking world.

But admittedly, I’m no food snob, I just like flavor. If I had to choose to give up The French Laundry level restaurants forever or the roadside dive in Oaxaca where an abuelita makes the best mole rojo, I know what I’d choose.
    Super duper foodie places like French Laundry are way overrated (for the price), but it’s great to have them in the area because it leads to a bunch of really well trained chefs launching restaurants nearby that are less pretentious, less expensive and the food is just as good.

I’d easily give up the super high end before the roadside joints.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    I hate it when I respond to a post and later find out it was 10 pages back from the latest and my post makes no sense. And sometimes they just make no sense period.

My guessi is that France being France there is a law specifying to the microgram the amount of salt in butter so baking is reproducible with salted butter. While in the US we can't even agree on the proper shape of a stick of butter, long and thin in the East, short and fat in the West, except that a lot of Euro-style (high fat) butter in the West comes in long thin sticks too. It matters if you get your wife a nice antique glass butter dish with cover that doesn't fit short fat sticks.

I like unsalted butter because that is what my saintly grandmother had and what I ate when I stayed at her house--so unsalted butter is the taste of love to me.

Kosher salt is "less salty" because the grains are bigger. If you measure salt (as opposed to weighing it) us twice as much Kosher as table.
    https://www.allrecipes.com/article/what-is-kosher-salt/

I put my Kosher salt in a grinder so the big flakes get small like table salt

There is no Iodine in Kosher salt so according to this ^^ link and they say table salt is twice as salty

We could argue about it or in France they would go on strike for 6 weeks over it

Or in America someone would just get shot
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

This butter conversation is hilarious. Who woulda thought it'd be such a controversial issue? Haha. While I'm not super opinionated on it, when I was on my own little butter making kick, I found it pretty interesting just how quickly the salted flavor ramps up in butter with barely adding more. You can over-salt it REALLY easily if you're not careful.

Also, FWIW, I stopped hand churning it with my little mason jar/hand crank setup when I found out how wicked easy it is to do with the KitchenAid mixer and the whisk. Put in heavy whipping cream and bam. The cream turns to whipped cream, but keep it going and all of a sudden you see the buttermilk separate out and the butter get whipped up into a solid ball pretty quick. It's really freaking delicious. Just add your salt to taste and whatever other fun goodies you feel like trying out. Can make awesome whipped spreads really easily. The buttermilk you just got out is also awesome for pancakes, biscuits, etc.

I love my husband and all but Jesus Hercules Christ he won’t stop arguing on the interwebs about salted vs unsalted butter.
    I’ve just decided to be a middle aged somewhat depressed somewhat anxious fucktard until the end.

Quote Originally Posted by MontuckyFried View Post

Also, FWIW, I stopped hand churning it with my little mason jar/hand crank setup when I found out how wicked easy it is to do with the KitchenAid mixer and the whisk.
    I use the paddle instead of the whisk. Just as easy and you don't have to deal with cleaning butter off that whisk, which is a pain in the dick.

Also - have you tried culturing your cream before making the butter? Moar flavor...

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    I

Also - have you tried culturing your cream before making the butter? Moar flavor...
    This is America, dammit, not France.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post

Lol

There’s about 1//4” of a teaspoon of salt in a stick of salted butter. It’s really minor.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    Alors ! Freedom frys

I vote we change the name of this forum to “The Pastry Room” and just really dive into it

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    I use the paddle instead of the whisk. Just as easy and you don't have to deal with cleaning butter off that whisk, which is a pain in the dick.

And pretty much all the culture you will find on TGR

a local chef told me that she had worked with those chefs avec the big ego's and they were all about their knives and stuff when really what they needed was a good whisk

You can get noniodized table salt if you think you can taste the iodine. Don't come crying to me when you turn up hypothyroid with a giant lump in your neck. Or you can use twice the volume of Kosher salt if the recipe calls for table, or half the amount of table salt if the recipe calls for Kosher.

A king tells his 3 sons he will give the kingdom to the one who loves him the most. The first son says as much as all the gold and silver in the world. The second son says as much as all the diamonds and rubies. The 3rd son says as much as food with salt. The king gives the kingdom to the first two and throws the 3rd into the dungeon. The palace chef starts leaving the salt out of the king's food. The king loses his appetite and is on death's door. The chef reveals what he has been doing. The king frees the 3rd son and gives him the kingdom. History does not record what he did with the other two. The Jewish version of King Lear. Told to me my the grandmother with the unsalted butter (but plenty of salt in everything else she cooked.)

You can get noniodized table salt if you think you can taste the iodine. Don't come crying to me when you turn up hypothyroid with a giant lump in your neck. Or you can use twice the volume of Kosher salt if the recipe calls for table, or half the amount of table salt if the recipe calls for Kosher.

A king tells his 3 sons he will give the kingdom to the one who loves him the most. The first son says as much as all the gold and silver in the world. The second son says as much as all the diamonds and rubies. The 3rd son says as much as food with salt. The king gives the kingdom to the first two and throws the 3rd into the dungeon. The palace chef starts leaving the salt out of the king's food. The king loses his appetite and is on death's door. The chef reveals what he has been doing. The king frees the 3rd son and gives him the kingdom. History does not record what he did with the other two. The Jewish version of King Lear. Told to me my the grandmother with the unsalted butter (but plenty of salt in everything else she cooked.)
    What in all of God's name are any of you speaking of? Is this your grandmother's version of King Lear? The Shakespearian play? We're all supposed to eat salt according to her?

What in the actual fuck?

It's 2024. Pay attention.

I love my wife and all, but Jesus Hercules Christ...

Don't come crying to me when you turn up hypothyroid
    Serious question…is that a realistic way to develop a hypothyroid condition? Meaning no table salt (only kosher salt) in the cooking/diet…
    [my limited understanding is that when you stop producing enough thyroid, you can’t grow that capability back]

Quote Originally Posted by ::: ::: View Post
    Serious question…is that a realistic way to develop a hypothyroid condition? Meaning no table salt (only kosher salt) in the cooking/diet…
    [my limited understanding is that when you stop producing enough thyroid, you can’t grow that capability back]
    Well, my FIL in his 90s used to get upset that I used mostly kosher salt for cooking. So I use iodized sea salt in recipes where it doesn't matter. And the mashed potatoes. He ate a lot of potatoes so I used iodized for that, easy way to make him happy. Congestive heart failure finally got him. At age 96. So that's a pretty good run.

Most people get enough iodine in their diet without worrying about using iodized table salt. There are small amounts of iodine in sea salt and that adds to the RDA of iodine.

hypothyrodism closely mimics the symptoms of Low T and anecdotally, many men who start supplementing with T really just need to get their thyroid health back by usually supplementing iodine back into their diets. Endocrinology is wild.

I don't think I've ever read as much contradictory info about salt and butter in my life. If Christopher Kimball can't tell the difference between salted and unsalted butter in a dish then no one can. That man can identify an extinct species of apple just from the smell.

And sorry Goat, your kosher salt vs table salt equivalencies are also shit. Not all kosher salts are created equal. There's a reason chefs specify Diamond Crystal, it's completely different from Mortons.

https://food52.com/blog/16824-you-re...iamond-crystal

This thread needs some butter quiver photos…

Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

well my take away from that ^^ link mostly is that in a commercial kitchen you want ever buddy on same page especaily if a new cook gets hired you don't want him under/ oversalting

I checked my box and its Windsor which doesnt really matter

what matters is that I get used to it

I have a box of Maldon next to my stove so i can grab a pinch and sprinkle on eggs, toast, sliced up meat steaks, etc. Its one of those little luxuries that is entirely superfluous, but so worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by californiagrown View Post
    I have a box of Maldon next to my stove so i can grab a pinch and sprinkle on eggs, toast, sliced up meat steaks, etc. Its one of those little luxuries that is entirely superfluous, but so worth it.
    Try the smoked version.

Mrs. plug got me a notepad for my bday:
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

My wife and I have an inside joke that the three sweetest words you can say to your spouse are "you were right," not "I love you"