Check Out Our Shop
Page 270 of 279 FirstFirst ... 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 ... LastLast
Results 6,726 to 6,750 of 6961
    Re: car seats, I don't know that there are many options for ones with swappable bases once the kid gets to about 1 year old. That's what we have now, 1 seat 3 bases, it's great. But the seats the kids can grow into (apparently until they're 7 or 8 years old, wtf?) are bigger and don't offer the option. I'm not saying there aren't any, just that the ones out there don't meet Ms Boissal's criteria.
    Re: installing them, I have it dialed, takes me 2 minutes tops, but I can understand why someone wouldn't want to deal with it routinely. I'm cheap as fuck though, and capable of planning and flexibility, so the thought of swapping the seat between cars as needed isn't abhorrent to me. The better half doesn't want to deal with it, I can respect that but it's not gonna stop me from bitching about it. And I'm sure it makes more sense in the long term to buy multiple ones and not swap. In terms of convenience that is, cause financially the math doesn't really add up since I don't bill my seat-swapping time and I still can spare 8 to 10 minutes a day to do it.
    Re: salted butter, it comes down to whether you're regarding butter as a generic fat (just to grease a pan or make a piece of toast easier to swallow), or if you actually have taste buds and respect for them. Then again if you're mentioning dinner rolls and grilled cheese sammies I know which camp you're in.
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

Swappable/detachable bases are all mostly garbage. Useful for infants, but only because you don’t have to commit the cardinal sin of waking a sleeping baby when you get home.
    focus.

I love my wife and all, but Jesus Hercules Christ...

Quote Originally Posted by Boissal View Post
    Re: salted butter, it comes down to whether you're regarding butter as a generic fat (just to grease a pan or make a piece of toast easier to swallow), or if you actually have taste buds and respect for them. Then again if you're mentioning dinner rolls and grilled cheese sammies I know which camp you're in.
    For my kids dumbass. I live in snooty restaurant land, have friends who have opened restaurants after working at French Laundry, etc. so acting like I eat at Arby’s every night is hilarious. You can always add salt but can’t take it away.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Just get two. Eventually blowouts, puke, food and then the mice getting attracted to the food and chewing up the car seat happens.

Pro tip, crayons melt and trash cars. Kids love to put it in the little door handle. Go to grab crayon and it's a hot molten melted wax mess and I start crying rub it all over their face. Guess that should be love my kid and all but fuck Christ

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    I live in snooty restaurant land
    AKA, the places that never use enough salt.

Quote Originally Posted by Meconium View Post
    Pro tip, crayons melt and trash cars. Kids love to put it in the little door handle. Go to grab crayon and it's a hot molten melted wax mess and I start crying rub it all over their face. Guess that should be love my kid and all but fuck Christ
    This is actually very helpful. Thank you.

And i second the second and third carseats. We started with 1. Then caved and got a second so we didnt have to constantly swap. Then we got a third so that the nanny could have it in her car full time so we didnt have to plan for "who needs the carseat tomorrow" each and every night. If you arent scrapping by, its worth the $$ to remove that headache from your life.

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    Art? Hello?
    ... . -. -.. / .... . .-.. .--. .-.-.- / .-- .. ..-. . / .- -. --. .-. -.-- .-.-.-

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

[QUOTE=Art Shirk;7074161]... . -. -.. / .... . .-.. .--. .-.-.- / .-- .. ..-. . / .- -. --. .-. -.-- .-.-.-

... .... . / ... .... --- ..- .-.. -.. / .-- . / ... . -. -.. / - .... . / .... . .-.. .--. ..--..
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    lol… what a ridiculous comment. Look it’s just a fact that 99% of professional chefs and bakers use saltless butter. I don’t what else to tell you.

lol… what a ridiculous comment. Look it’s just a fact that 99% of professional chefs and bakers use saltless butter. I don’t what else to tell you.
    Source please. And no, you probably don't need to tell us anything. Some people are more qualified to talk about their favorite chicken friend steak than fine cuisine. We are basically the deplorables of the food world.

Oh yeah? Fact like you found a poll that asked chefs around the world that question, and 99% answered unsalted? Cause, I don't think you did. Talk about ridiculous comments.

https://www.thechoppingblock.com/blo...nsalted-butter

Me: "Hey wife, do you want to go skiing?"
    Wife: "NO"
    Me: "OK" get ready and about to walk out the door
    Wife: "I think I want to go with you"
    Cut to 1 hr later
    Me: "Ok, are you ready"
    Wife: "Did you load up my skis, boots, poles, helmet, gloves, etc"
    Me: "Yes"
    Wife: "Ok, I just have to brush my teeth and walk the dog."
    FML

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    We use no salt butter as daughter is a fine dining GM. Besides, we rarely salt anything, as it seems there is enough there already. YRMV

Its really hard to brine fish without salt
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    Its really hard to brine fish without salt
    Lye is the solution to fish preservation

Lutfisk a/k/a fish jello
    I’ve just decided to be a middle aged somewhat depressed somewhat anxious fucktard until the end.

As oposed to a 1/2 hr soak with some kosher salt I'm going to assume lutefisk is an aquired taste

The amount of salt in salted butter varies. If you’re going for repeatable results you’re gonna control for that.

I’m no chef, and I like salt, so I usually let the salt(ed butter) run free.

But if you’re serious about it you go unsalted, many recipes specify unsalted better specifically, and I don’t understand how this is debatable. It’s hard to take salt back out.
    focus.

we need a bake-off

I don’t have a peer reviewed studies or PhD dissertations to fall back on, but it’s common knowledge in foodie land that unsalted is the way to go. No one says you can’t add salt to a recipe, but you can’t take it away if it’s already there. Hence why most use unsalted.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

IME a real cook can season food so it is amazing but i'm not a real cook and i don't bake so I don't use much salt,

I have taken to using the kosher salt and i am less likely to fuckup/ oversalt cuz its less salty than iodized salt

i have not found any reason to worry about the salt in butter so I just buy the salted butter

I was watching an Anthony Bordain clip on butter, he sez between the butter with the basket of bread and what they put in the food restaurants use a LOT of butter so in a classic french restaurant you will eat a stick+ of butter by the time you leave

^^ Agree with that. Most restaurant food is so much worse for you than it probably needs to be. Why are steakhouse steaks so damn good? Good choices of cuts and proper cooking but also just a shit ton of absorbed butter.

Of course the reason Kobe / wagyu is so good is because of that marbeled fat spread evenly so less butter needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Mustonen View Post

But if you’re serious about it you go unsalted and I don’t understand how this is debatable.
    I posted a link to a blog written by a James Beard award nominee who said to stop using salted butter. And the comments are pretty telling in that this is obviously debated in the “serious” cooking world.

But admittedly, I’m no food snob, I just like flavor. If I had to choose to give up The French Laundry level restaurants forever or the roadside dive in Oaxaca where an abuelita makes the best mole rojo, I know what I’d choose.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    That's why I like watching Antiques Roadshow.
    I hate it when I respond to a post and later find out it was 10 pages back from the latest and my post makes no sense. And sometimes they just make no sense period.

Quote Originally Posted by Mustonen View Post
    The amount of salt in salted butter varies. If you’re going for repeatable results you’re gonna control for that.

I’m no chef, and I like salt, so I usually let the salt(ed butter) run free.

But if you’re serious about it you go unsalted, many recipes specify unsalted better specifically, and I don’t understand how this is debatable. It’s hard to take salt back out.
    My guessi is that France being France there is a law specifying to the microgram the amount of salt in butter so baking is reproducible with salted butter. While in the US we can't even agree on the proper shape of a stick of butter, long and thin in the East, short and fat in the West, except that a lot of Euro-style (high fat) butter in the West comes in long thin sticks too. It matters if you get your wife a nice antique glass butter dish with cover that doesn't fit short fat sticks.

I like unsalted butter because that is what my saintly grandmother had and what I ate when I stayed at her house--so unsalted butter is the taste of love to me.

Kosher salt is "less salty" because the grains are bigger. If you measure salt (as opposed to weighing it) us twice as much Kosher as table.