Check Out Our Shop

car shipping / delivery services -- east coast to CO

Anyone know a reasonably priced delivery service for getting a car from east coast to colorado? Either loaded on a truck or driven is OK. This is an old used car for my kid - and the prices quoted on the first random companies popping up on a google search are ridiculous relative to the face value of the car. But the car is a known quantity that is worth FAR more to me (knowing ownership and repair history) than buying comparable in CO.

The price difference is if you want the car shipped enclosed or on a flat bed. There are lots of sketchy operations who will ship cars and definitely do NOT give them your email address or phone number for a quote, because you will get hounded for months with phone calls.

I shipped one from TX to CA and it was $900 but it was a sports car and needed it to be enclosed. On a flat bed, you are looking at just over half of that.

Try http://www.earthautoshippers.com/ and give them a call directly. They were great to do business with then i shipped mine.

I filled out an online quote deal and got about 10 quotes. They varied widely....1000-500 for reputable companies to bring a 64 mg Spokane to park city. Hadn't Saab shipped fromboston to PC covered for 700.

I used this one
    http://m.carshippingquote.com

It should be 4-600 bucks between major destinations.
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

I don't know of any car shipping services, but my solution would be to drive it out here, ski a week with the offspring, and then fly home. I'm pretty sure you could get a one-way fare out of DIA back to the eastern shores for less than the $450-$900 to ship.

Thanks all.

Chuxson of course has the best idea of all and if that's feasible I'll be all over it.

The good news is I have a few months to work this out, just trying to figure out options before closing on the purchase here.

WestCoastPDR Guest
    I'm in the car biz. Wholesale that is. I supply 22 different franchise retail operations with vehicles. A good quote for this would be from 600 to 800 bucks. Recently got a quote from reno to Winston Salem nc for 1050 bucks. Ended up selling it personally rather than through he company I work for which ment more money in my pocket.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by EastCoastPDR View Post
    I'm in the car biz. Wholesale that is. I supply 22 different franchise retail operations with vehicles. A good quote for this would be from 600 to 800 bucks. Recently got a quote from reno to Winston Salem nc for 1050 bucks. Ended up selling it personally rather than through he company I work for which ment more money in my pocket.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using TGR Forums
    Does that mean you can hook us ec mags with a sweet deal on a ride? (for example, myself )

Not kidding!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using TGR Forums
    The Passion is in the Risk

Quote Originally Posted by Chuxson View Post
    I don't know of any car shipping services, but my solution would be to drive it out here, ski a week with the offspring, and then fly home. I'm pretty sure you could get a one-way fare out of DIA back to the eastern shores for less than the $450-$900 to ship.
    You not only have to figure the one way airfare but also the gasoline and expenses for the drive out. It will really depend on the fuel efficiency and mileage. This of course is assuming that the person you have drive the vehicle is trusted and is covered under some sort of insurance also. If you have to pay that person driving (other than expense of return airfare trip), it could be cheaper to ship the vehicle.

I recently started shopping for a used car. Just for a comparison, I did some wider searches for the specific car I was looking for on a few of the Car buying sites (cars.com, carsdirect.com, autotrader.com even some auctions sites ebay Motors and Municipal surplus sites) and many had shipping quote option all based on mostly the mileage. Uship has a listing of 35 or more car sites that list as part of the quote process.

20+ years ago, there were driveaway services that would find you a driver. I used those cars to drive across the country to see the Dead.

I would not recommend using those services.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by RShea View Post
    You not only have to figure the one way airfare but also the gasoline and expenses for the drive out. It will really depend on the fuel efficiency and mileage. This of course is assuming that the person you have drive the vehicle is trusted and is covered under some sort of insurance also.
    Sure, no doubt.

I only meant that responsible-and-insured Pop should drive the new wheels west and ski with Junior for a week. Not hire some unknown, uninsured Wingnut to drive, and then pay for Wingnut to fly home. Of course I was assuming that Dad's not only responsible and insured, but he's also budgeting for cost of fuel, etc.

Even with fuel and cheap hotels along the way, I'd imagine the total cost would be roughly comparable to paying to ship Junior's new steed -- and WAAAY more fun for Dad!

Y'see, Senior gets to make a little solo road trip and take in the countryside at his own pace and listen to whatever trash he wants on the radio. He's driving and eating jerky and
    munching Corn Nuts and drinking too much coffee and grooving to 80's hits.

Then, he skis a couple of days in the magnificent Rockies (after checking the forecast to be sure there's going to be fresh snow while he's here). Between runs, he does his Dad-thing and imparts fatherly wisdom and generally checks up on Junior. He splurges on an expensive ski resort dinner or two, fills the offspring's fridge, and then flies back home to real life with a big smile and memories of a nice adventure and a job well done.

Good times.

Maybe not… I dunno. I don't have any skin in this deal. Just sayin' what I'd consider if it was me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    20+ years ago, there were driveaway services that would find you a driver. I used those cars to drive across the country to see the Dead.
    I would not recommend using those services.
    Danno has a point: the trusted driver thing brings up something. I used to have a buddy who hired out to relocate/deliver cars. As a sideline, he moved dope using the cars he was driving…

Preaching to the converted on giving keys to a stranger. A friend in college was the driver on one of those drive away services - straight into a bridge.

The shipping costs seem high, til I think of the cost of repairs that I know have been done on this vehicle recently by a mechanic I trust, for his own personal vehicle, and will not have to be done going forward. Other stuff could go bad but any used car is a crap shoot, and this one has many fewer expensive unknowns.

The drive-it-myself option would be great but time is tight.

^^^^ Work done by a mechanic you trust. Peace of mind is worth a lot.

Maybe fly the kid one-way back east and have him/her do the drive to CO?

I just went through the same thing with a car I inherited from my mom (RIP). I did the quotes, got hounded on the phone (they are still calling me), and ended up just driving.

I did it in 2 days (30 hours), $350 in gas, and $125 in hotel/food...all with the piece of mind that some jackwagon isn't messing with my rig.

Drive it out, enjoy the trip...enjoy Iowa/Nebraska or Kansas (depending on your route)...
    Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    It's the same argument for prostitution. There's a lot of people in this world who won't be getting laid unless they pay big bucks or fuck an artificial life form. No amount of consolation, pity or comiserating is going to change that reality.
    Slaughter is the best medicine.

I've used these folks with good luck. Fair and friendly. A car mag gave me their contact info years ago. Worth a call or e-mail for a quote. I'd stay far away from UShip:

Accelerated Services
    AUTO TRANSPORTERS
    720.200.3100 office
    720.200.3101 fax
    Sales@autotrans1.com email
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

I do it for a living. Stick with the major names, Auto Relocation plus, Reindeer Auto (no joke) or Auto and Boat Marine. Almost all of the carriers are brokers so who they use is critical. Don't get suckered into a cheap rate and then get hammered with huge fuel surcharges or "rural route" fees and so on. Also, make sure transit times are in writing and include the time from pick up to delivery. You can go Door to door or terminal to terminal. Make sure the "insurance" is clearly explained and you don't ever give them your car until you get a very detailed inventory of your cars condition. Document the condition when its clean and take pictures of the car. Make sure you inspect the car extremely thoroughly when you sign for it at destination; if its too dirty or dark out. Write "subject to inspection, unable to verify condition at delivery" and as soon as you can (like really soon) get it cleaned, dont drive it if you can avoid it and call them ASAP if you find any damage. Otherwise, if you can inspect and do find damage, write it on the delivery documents and have the driver initial it. File a claim that day and be prepared for a lot of paperwork and running around. Check all windows for operation, closely look at the windshield and especially under the car; exhaust, ROOF of car, gas tank and front end. Do not leave anything in the car. And discuss where your car will be loaded on the truck and it they cover small chips or nicks due to road debris....

PM me if you need more help.
    Be more like your dog...

^^^ thanks. solid advice. may find myself in this boat in the near future.