Check Out Our Shop

Mad River Glen anyone?

Totally last minute and pretty much unplanned, but I just scored a ride up to Mad River Glen for tomorrow (Sunday). I've never been and am not expecting much, so if any Maggots are around I'd be very grateful for a "tour".

PM me or respond here. Will check back early tomorrow morning before I leave (4:30am).
    Ein Berg ohne Absturzgefahr ist nur noch Attrappe. (Reinhold Messner)

MRG will blow your mind, definately a step back in time though
    For sure, you have to be lost to find a place that can't be found, elseways everyone would know where it was

Laser, you got me all excited now ...

probably gonna be lots of huge bumps tomorrow. Hope ya like bumps.

Franz I'd love to tell you where to go but I really haven't had a chance to get a real tour of the place so the only advice I have is to just poke around because the goods are everywhere at that mountain
    For sure, you have to be lost to find a place that can't be found, elseways everyone would know where it was

Quote Originally Posted by schuss
    probably gonna be lots of huge bumps tomorrow. Hope ya like bumps.
    Somebody's sig (I forget who)
    Bumps are the mountain's way of saying: You're skiing where too many people have skied before you ...

Not an expert on MRG but try far skiers right off of the single at a dog leg left go skiers right on the far right trail. Requires a short flat pole taverse back to the area. Or try paradise. have fun
    Harvest the ride.

Building a fighting force of extra-ordinary magnitude
    prabably too late at this point in the weekend, but the woods between fall-line and paradise are sweet, cut right, across a few turns before the last set of bumps which I'm pretty sure is called "the creamery", just after octopus' garden, and you can cut through the woods on a well cut "trail" back to mid-station on the single. You probably figured out that Antelope is fun for high-speed GS-style turns.

If you take the Birdland chair, cut hard skier's left as you ski past the unloading point and The Rat is on your left but it ain't marked...unless it's closed. There is some fast-turnin, quick decision-makin, Vermont-style skiing on this trail. It actually takes you right on top of the road that cuts up the backside of MRG and there's a turn where if you don't make it you end up in some condo's living room. Fun as hell.

Depending on snow pack and financial status I really hope to be able to make it there at least once this season after I move back to Boston. It'll be the first time since I was 4 years old that I haven't gotten multiple days at MRG in a season some COME ON ULLR!!!!!!

If THE VIDEO OF THE DAY on the conditions page is any indication, I'd say you had a good weekend Frankz! But from the report that's not how it sounds. Well, hope you had fun there either way, it's a sick mountain.

Edit: Oh. I didn't see that it said "March 2nd" at the beginning of the video.

Edit 2: If the 19th hole is open off Lower Antelope, last run of the day, you can ski about a mile away to the Mad River Barn for apres beers. You gotta play rock-paper-scissors to figure out who has to drive to the Barn from the lodge since there's no way other'n walkin, drivin or hitchin to get back to the parking lot once you are at the Barn.
    Last edited by vinzclortho; 03-20-2005 at 07:06 PM.
    thats new hampshire as fuck

We ain't eager to be legal, so please leave me with the keys to your Jeep Eagle.

My first day ever at MRG was 3/2, the same day that video on their site was shot. Insane day, they got 2ft over the last 2 nights w/ drifts more like 3. Pure blower too, some of the lightest snow I skied all season.

Paradise was great - no hesitation on the ice fall either with all that pow around. I thought I remember hitting another cliff on Paradise too, possibly another ice fall? And there was an optional drop at the very beginning of the trail off the traverse from what I recall.

Later in the morning I was lucky enough to be one of the first five people down "Tower 5", which is that cliff right under the single chair at like the 5th pole mark. My buddy and I lapped that a couple of times unloading at the mid point on the single and then they closed it, likely to save some soft landings for the next day. The drop was only about 20ft, depending on which line you chose, but I would have skied that shit all day if they had kept it open - so much fun!

So, MRG really did live up to the hype for me, I fell in love with the place from that one day and when VT gets some more legitimate snowfall very soon(fingers X!) MRG will without a doubt be my destination.

Vin, you mention 'the creamery' and 'octopus' garden', I will have to check out those areas next time I am there. Any other suggestions for off the beaten path spots to check out while there?(you know, places that if you told me about, you would need to kill me )

Thanks for your input. Saw some of it too late, but got most of the stuff you suggested. It was a nice day of spring skiing ... and my back still hurts after all those bumps on Sunday!

Did the icefall on Paradise, but I could have done with a bit more snow on the landing