Check Out Our Shop
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Ski for two months in EU or NA? Chamonix, Tignes/Val d'Isere, Verbier or Squaw

I have two months off for Jan and Feb 2014, and am contemplating whether to spend it skiing in Europe or CA. Have skied in a bunch of places, mainly in Squaw, but have spent weeks in places her and there like Whistler, Chamonix, Jackson Hole, Alta, Snowbird.

Am considering spending the two months in either Chamonix, Tignes/Val d'Isere, Verbier or Squaw. Anyone have thoughts on these or recommendations for other locations?

Priorities:
    • Will not have a car, so a small town where things are walkable or consistent transportation is important (Europe seems to have more of this)
    • Sick terrain. I love getting after it. Chamonix is at the top of my list, having gone there last season. Most of the time in Cham was with a guide; but this time I will not be with one, so am just thinking about general safety, since it is not the place you'd want to wander off solo
    • Somewhere that won't break the bank

I'd appreciate any feedback. Thanks!
    Last edited by guron; 11-11-2013 at 03:02 PM.

well you have skied all over so what would you recommend?
    b

Hugh Conway Guest
    If you've truly skied all over you should be able to answer your own question. You might have seen that it's not hard to find partners in a place like Chamonix even though you aren't there for close to a season. There are so many places to ski if you only want a star-fuckers ski scene you've got it covered.

The only place I've spent significant time in is Squaw. I was hoping for more insight from someone who has spent a lot of time or lived in one of these places. It is different spending a week in a place vs a season. Thanks.

Hugh Conway Guest
    Well, you aren't spending a season. You are spending two months, relatively early in the season and want to commit now? What do you want to know? You can find prices for lifts/transport/lodging online. Look - if you've been to Verbier, you know it's fucking expensive. Even nendaz - home of the spewing conditions bloggers - is expensive. Chamonix is less. Revelstoke's cool but I wouldn't want to live there without a car. Squaw - seriously?

Ha, dude! What's wrong with Squaw?! It is awesome. I haven't been to Verbier. That's good to know about Revelstoke. Thanks for that. I was leaning toward Chamonix but wasn't sure if it would make a difference unless you're skiing with a guide, which I couldn't afford the whole time. Most of the awesome stuff there is accessible if you know the terrain well, which I don't.

In my world if not breaking the bank is a qualification, then Europe would not be an option. Hell, Squaw wouldn't even be an option. For the price of a plane ticket to Europe you could buy a vehicle that will get you to the mountain and open up alot more possibilities in towns/areas that are FAR more inexpensive than any you listed. And then you would be able to drive to the grocery store and buy food too. What do groceries cost in the village at squaw? But then again, I'm a dirtbag so what do I know. If you really want to do it cheap, you are overlooking alot of kick ass locations. If you can afford to stay at squaw, you should be able to afford to stay in a rental in just about any village at any mountain, and are again overlooking alot of great locations.

Quote Originally Posted by guron View Post
    Ha, dude! What's wrong with Squaw?! It is awesome.
    And we have a winner! Look no further rock star.

Hugh Conway Guest
    I didn't make it work, but this year it looks like eastern CH/western AUT might have early snow. I'd tried for the Engadin (Samedan's kinda cheap, relatively speaking), gringo's like St. Anton/Arlberg, there's Davos (overlooked, perhaps not as gnar, but still fun as shit), or Eberg, or Amatt, or not on the same snow patterns south to the dolomites. Or something west - La Grave, something in the Brianconnais, Meribel?, maybe Alagna?

Dude, not even a question, if you can swing it: YURP!

I hear Japan is pretty dope though too, more casual I think than Cham, which sounds like you might enjoy that a little more than the alps and mountaineering aspect if you're flyin solo.

all those travels and no one wants you back either.

you could just walk into downtown ski culture and head for
    the first non-acoholic establishment serving retail food and
    get hooked up in thirty minutes.

odds are, that ain't happening for you to good so far

you think waffles and ice cream are about the food?
    Last edited by Gepeto; 11-10-2013 at 12:17 AM.

Terrace. It looks to me like a dirt baggers paradise. If I could I would.

N. America: Rossland/Red, Nelson/Whitewater (trickier w/o car), Telluride (a littler more $?), Aspen (definitely more $), JH.
    Yurp: Briancon (Serre Chevalier), La Grave, L'Alpes d'Huez, Bourg St. Maurice (Les Arcs, Tignes, Val d'Isere, La Rosiere/La Thuile, St. Foy), Chamonix, Morzine, Verbier, Leysin/G3000, Adelboden/Lenk, Murren/Wengen, Engleberg, Andermatt, Zermatt/Grachen/Saas Grund/Saas Fe, Aletsch Arena, Flims/Laax, Arosa/Lenzerheide, Davos/Klosters, St. Moritz/Diavolezza, Samnaun/Ischgl, Nauders, Hochzillertal, Nassfeld / Hermagor, Alagna/Gressoney,Champoluc, Pozza di Fassa to name just a few options.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by RaisingArizona View Post
    Terrace. It looks to me like a dirt baggers paradise. If I could I would.
    fuck yeah, send him to gary and xxx'er for some ski culture. buster you got the right class but the op is still in grade school.
    b

Revelstoke has a bus to the ski hill and it's easy to hitchhike in town, so you can get by without a car. Getting to Rogers Pass will be a pain without one.

you don't understand, he could go to $$yurp$$ or anywhere in merica but will not get his own ride.
    why?
    b

I would say cham or revy. Verbier is fucking taxed, at least 1000f for a bedroom and food/beer is not cheep! Squaw has a great ski scene but true powderdays are virtually non existent round here these days in bounds and living in the valley with out a car gets old real quick. to put it into perspective I live in squaw year round and spend the winters in Cham. Cham is where its at if your willing to work for it, reach out and network to develop a solid crew of riders plus you can always ski by yourself at grand montets and brevent, also not cheep for acomodation, especially for just 2 months (at least 700 E for a bedroom, probably more like 1000). Revy is a great mountain and affordable place to live, I havnt spent too much time up there but seems pretty boring outside of skiing and is fairly spread out. However the terrain and snowfall makes up for it and especially if your into touring or sled skiing its a great zone. My advice make up your mind asap, most all of these places have already increased pass prices or are about to do so like tomorrow!

Big Sky/moonlight. Only problem might be the car.

Powfiend, that is great advice. Exactly the kind of feedback I was looking for. I noticed the prices increases on passes too. I will let you know what I decide. Perhaps we can get in some turns. Thanks again!

great times in sochi soon.
    b

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    fuck yeah, send him to gary and xxx'er for some ski culture. buster you got the right class but the op is still in grade school.
    b
    Terrace I believe has all of the terrain like everyplace mentioned and possibly then some not to mention a shit ton of snow, no scene, and firsty's waiting for the ambitious. Yeah, you might have to work a little for the big lines but fuck.........I'm telling ya it's the next unknown big spot and it's a dirt baggers paradise. As I said, if I could I would.

I hate scenes and this place sounds so rad.

Squaw and Jackson? Shit like that has been played. Sure Cham and Reve are world class and Reve isn't too played yet but an unknown zone with huge untapped lines without a scene sounds so cool to me. The idea of exploring the unknown and less traveled just speaks to me. Or.......just go where everyone else go's, I'm sure that everyone can't be wrong, those places are incredible but if I had the opportunity right now I would go where I might have a chance at pioneering some sweet shit. Just sayin.

If you're going to do Cham, you should buy a pass before the end of this month as it'll be lots cheaper. You will find people to ski with, but you'd better have and/or be willing to acquire glacier travel knowledge.

As others have said, US will be much cheaper and you could even buy a car (that is , unless the real reason you won't have a car is that you got wasted and drove your last car full of strippers off a bridge and somehow walked away and you are now banned for life from driving).
    'waxman is correct, and so far with 40+ days of tasting them there is no way my tongue can tell the difference between wood, and plastic made to taste like wood...but i'm a weirdo and lick my gear...' -kidwoo

Quote Originally Posted by Gnartu View Post
    For the price of a plane ticket to Europe you could buy a vehicle that will get you to the mountain and open up alot more possibilities in towns/areas that are FAR more inexpensive than any you listed.
    Plane ticket to Europe--around $1000.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=kzim1iYhmGA

Forget Squaw without a car. You would probably want to live in Truckee or North Tahoe, and even if you lived in the valley you would definitely want to be able to get out.

I've done seasons in Tignes, Squaw, Jackson, Chamonix and La Plagne. So pretty qualified to answer this and offer some advice.

I think the main aspect is how you can make friends and communicate with the locals. The "seasonnaire" culture in Europe is far greater than the US. Far more workers in a resort than in any US one due to the huge amount of tour operators and chalet companies. So you'll have a lot of people to hang out with in my opinion if you are the sort of person that makes friends easilY. Trouble is, you are not doing a season and just an extended holiday.

If you speak no French and this is an issue then maybe forget Europe. People are far more sociable in the US. That's a fact. You'll chat on lifts, but in Europe people are often silent !

The Hostel in Jackson maybe? You'll have a ready made social life and a cheap place to stay. I'd do that. Car not required.

But if you want the whole Euro experience (This season is going to be epic I reckon ;-) ) then Tignes, gets my vote. Great ski area. Great snow. Social good and you'll hook up with people if you go to the right bars etc.

Squaw - No car = fail.

Chamonix - epic skiing. Too many blokes - not enough chics... ;-) Less sociable I think.

Verbier - like Cham, just much more expensive. Big queues in Feb.

My thoughts anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by RaisingArizona View Post
    Terrace I believe has all of the terrain like everyplace mentioned and possibly then some not to mention a shit ton of snow, no scene, and firsty's waiting for the ambitious. Yeah, you might have to work a little for the big lines but fuck.........I'm telling ya it's the next unknown big spot and it's a dirt baggers paradise. As I said, if I could I would.

I hate scenes and this place sounds so rad.

Squaw and Jackson? Shit like that has been played. Sure Cham and Reve are world class and Reve isn't too played yet but an unknown zone with huge untapped lines without a scene sounds so cool to me. The idea of exploring the unknown and less traveled just speaks to me. Or.......just go where everyone else go's, I'm sure that everyone can't be wrong, those places are incredible but if I had the opportunity right now I would go where I might have a chance at pioneering some sweet shit. Just sayin.
    Thanks! I will check out Terrace. I have heard it can get pretty awesome there and that it is less-traveled, which can make for some sweet days.

True that Squaw has been played. But I feel that if you know a place super well then you know where to go when it gets crowded. I've had countless good days there, but yea, it does get tracked out quickly.