Check Out Our Shop
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    Ahhh yes, I see that the PAPI NOTAM was added after the crash. So the crew basically had two other means of vertical guidance, plus their eyes of course.

Just curious, what certificates/ratings do you hold?

This was posted on another forum (not me):
    I flew for these guys for several years. Whilst the facts are not known and it could be anything at this stage, I will say that the majority of the Korean Pilots were lost without the G/S. Also, most of them had[have] a tendency to push forward and undershoot the Glide Slope in the last couple hundred feet in order to have a lower angle in the hope of the "smooth landing. These guys were obsessed with the smooth landing. Word got around about me, and when they flew with me they knew never to undershoot when I was next to them.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    Ahhh yes, I see that the PAPI NOTAM was added after the crash. So the crew basically had two other means of vertical guidance, plus their eyes of course.

Just curious, what certificates/ratings do you hold?

This was posted on another forum (not me):
    I'm a dispatcher. Also hold a PPL but don't fly often.

That's a funny quote, I've heard similar things about Korean pilots in VFR conditions. Head down flight deck environment it seems, though I don't like to generalize too much.

Hugh Conway Guest
    generalize? Korean Airlines had to retool their training to fit "Korean Culture" after a string of accidents.

Just here to say SFO is a junkshow today! Between the BART strike and this my travels in the Bay area have been, unique.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using TGR Forums
    `•.¸¸.•´><((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸.? ??´¯`•...¸><((((º>

"Having been Baptized by uller his frosty air now burns my soul with confirmation. I am once again pure." - frozenwater

"once i let go of my material desires many opportunities for playing with the planet emerge. emerge - to come into being through evolution. ok back to work - i gotta pack." - Slaag Master

"As for Flock of Seagulls, everytime that song comes up on my ipod, I turn it up- way up." - goldenboy

i have had some pretty terrible landings in the past few years. Rocking back and forth, super hard landings, airborne after landing then back down.

Is pilot training changing? Lots of new grads? Less military grade?
    Terje was right.

"We're all kooks to somebody else." -Shelby Menzel

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    ...and apparently I'm a Luddite when it comes to new social media places
    New? Path is about 3 years old and already run its course in my opinion.
    Brought to you by Carl's Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by commonlaw View Post
    Church.

I guess it is coming back.

Quote Originally Posted by systemoverblow'd View Post
    New? Path is about 3 years old and already run its course in my opinion.
    You do know what Luddite means don't you?
    I still call it The Jake.

spook Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by DasBlunt View Post
    i have had some pretty terrible landings in the past few years. Rocking back and forth, super hard landings, airborne after landing then back down.

Is pilot training changing? Lots of new grads? Less military grade?

don't worry. it's just god fucking with your sorry soon be smoking crater of an ass.

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post

You do know what Luddite means don't you?
    You obviously don't. You also don't know what new means either.
    Brought to you by Carl's Jr.

spook Guest
    i think the real problem is that neither of you know what "know" means

Quote Originally Posted by Pow4Brains View Post
    Just here to say SFO is a junkshow today! Between the BART strike and this my travels in the Bay area have been, unique.

Really? I landed at SFO at 10:00 this am and no problems.

spook Guest
    before i read the story and only saw the top of the plane burned open i assumed they were all. um. anything but rice krispies.

Quote Originally Posted by systemoverblow'd View Post
    You obviously don't. You also don't know what new means either.
    God you're in one of your moods aren't you?

Luddite: Broadly: one who is opposed to technological change.

Just like I said, I'm still firmly rooted in the Faceplace era. But by all means, keep fucking that chicken.
    I still call it The Jake.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    generalize? Korean Airlines had to retool their training to fit "Korean Culture" after a string of accidents.
    Yes. There is a highly detailed chapter regarding oriental cultural issues and flying in the book The Outliers. It's a huge problem, and the reason that a perfectly good Korean Air Lines 747 crashed on Guam 15 or so years ago.

The gist of the cultural issue is that oriental flight crews -generally speaking- look at their Captains as being far superior both socially and professionally. If the captain is screwing up, the rest of the crew feels that it's inappropriate to "chastise" him.

In Western cultures this is not a problem. We feel comfortable saying "Dude, what are you doing!" And the person screwing up always appreciates the input. 'Cause you know, it's better than a plane crash.

An enormous amount of effort has gone into training oriental flight crews, but there's an enormous hurdle in overcoming several thousand years of cultural stigmas. Oriental airlines realize this, and would prefer to have western crews in their cockpits.

That being said, the SFO wreck could have mechanical elements involved and not be the result of pilot error. We'll have to wait and see. It's pretty hard to see how someone could blow a visual approach that badly, especially with an RNAV backup.

From cnn video, it looked like it cartwheeled!

Only reason I can think that anyone walked away form that was that the fuel tanks were near empty.

Quote Originally Posted by spook View Post
    before i read the story and only saw the top of the plane burned open i assumed they were all. um. anything but rice krispies.
    Gogigul?

Quote Originally Posted by Cono Este View Post
    Only reason I can think that anyone walked away form that was that the fuel tanks were near empty.
    The TV keeps saying this but I want to point out that they would likely have had somewhere between 7,000 to 10,000lbs of fuel remaining in the tanks, or more. It was just lucky the engines separated and nothing punctured the tanks.

The video is incredible. ATC initially told us they had cartwheeled down the runway and now I see why.
    I thought their offices would be strewn with bunny-fucking and condom dispensers, a veritable enchanted forest of cock shafts and twat mist. - JoeStrummer

Quote Originally Posted by spook View Post
    don't worry. it's just god fucking with your sorry soon be smoking crater of an ass.
    That sounds like a threat?
    Fortunately, assholes who think they are god generally get what is coming to them.
    Terje was right.

"We're all kooks to somebody else." -Shelby Menzel

Quote Originally Posted by The Suit View Post
    Really? I landed at SFO at 10:00 this am and no problems.
    Yup, still trying to get on a flight, with a 7 month old in tow.....

Good times

Edit 4 - The issue is the "long" runways are closed due to the crash and they are having to adjust all the fuel loads, supposedly.

`•.¸¸.•´><((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸.? ??´¯`•...¸><((((º>

"Having been Baptized by uller his frosty air now burns my soul with confirmation. I am once again pure." - frozenwater

"once i let go of my material desires many opportunities for playing with the planet emerge. emerge - to come into being through evolution. ok back to work - i gotta pack." - Slaag Master

"As for Flock of Seagulls, everytime that song comes up on my ipod, I turn it up- way up." - goldenboy

Quote Originally Posted by belgian View Post
    The TV keeps saying this but I want to point out that they would likely have had somewhere between 7,000 to 10,000lbs of fuel remaining in the tanks, or more. It was just lucky the engines separated and nothing punctured the tanks.

The video is incredible. ATC initially told us they had cartwheeled down the runway and now I see why.
    Some damn fine engineering a Boeing, gave everyone time to grab their luggage too.

Quote Originally Posted by itsnowjoke View Post
    Yes. There is a highly detailed chapter regarding oriental cultural issues ...
    unfortunately the same effort hasn't gone into sensitivity training WRT the appropriateness of the word "oriental"...
    ... jfost is really ignorant, he often just needs simple facts laid out for him...

Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jfost View Post
    unfortunately the same effort hasn't gone into sensitivity training WRT the appropriateness of the word "oriental"...
    that's a good little middle manager.

spook Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by DasBlunt View Post
    That sounds like a threat?
    Fortunately, assholes who think they are god generally get what is coming to them.
    you need more of das blunt. if your god wants to make you a smoking crater so be it. i have no imaginary friends in the sky to worry about.

Quote Originally Posted by belgian View Post
    It was just lucky the engines separated and nothing punctured the tanks.
    Not luck at all. The airplanes are designed for that. Fuse pins at the engine mounts that shear when the airplane hits something.

The reason this was just a very wild ride for the majority of the passengers on this airplane has a lot more to do with engineering than luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    Only Hot Butt Mud gets to issue rulings on that, sorry, jfost wannabe expert on experts.
    Ruling -- He's more qualified than jfrost by far...