Check Out Our Shop
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Looking for a ~100mm ski for Utah's non powder days.

Hello all, long time lurker here, first post. I will be spending the winter out in Alta again, and trying to get some deals on some closeout skis. I already picked up some 186 4FRNT YLEs that are going to be my powder and fresh snow skis. I am hoping to find something around 100mm underfoot for the days when it's not snowing. 5'9" about 180lbs. Intermediate to advanced skier. So far it has come down to:

4FRNT Codys:
    186, would consider 179 but can't find them
    looks like a playful ski

Blizzard Bonafides:
    Can only find them in 180, and the most expensive of these. Obviously a highly regarded ski. Have read a lot about 180 vs 186 with this ski. Not sure what I want, even if I could find it in 186. I think the shorter would compliment my longer YLEs well; being better in the trees and bumps.

Moment PB&J:
    182, looks like a great ski but have read horror stories of cracking.

Fischer Watea 98:
    Just found these, looks promising

Any suggestions? Seems like there are so many options. Again, I don't really need a "one-quiver" ski here because I've got the YLEs. Also, as an intermediate, I would like something that I can hone my skills on and improve with. I'm not sure if there is any ski out there that will make you a better skier compared to any other ski though. I guess something a little stiffer and more demanding, right? As opposed to something like an S3? Would like to improve my technique on the steeps and bumps. Thanks guys!

Hey,

Near the end of this past season I got a pair of 183cm Line Blends (the 2012 version with bright orange sidewalls not this year's cap versions). Mine are mounted with FKS's at -6cm. The ski measures short at approx. 181cm, dimensions of 132-100-122 and a 21 turn radius for the 183cm. They have slight early rise in both tip and tail, decent camber underfoot. Poppy, really fun and they ripped both hardpack and slush at Whistler and late season heavy 12" of pow at Baker.....me 5'7" 175lbs.

Hint....mount Line Blends at -6cm from center...approx +2cm from rec (not at -7.8cm which is the recommended?).

Some here on tgr will say don't buy Line as they are made in China....but these Blends rip as good as my 2012/13 182cm PB&Js did. In late spring I took them into Glacier Ski Shop.....the guys there were quite impressed with these "China" made skis, thought the the flex was decent (they are really really thick underfoot!).

PS - I believe you should have some good North American skis in your quiver first..(eg. I have Moments, 4FRNT etc) but these are a blast. I think this is a very underrated ski for just goofing around on the hill on days when there is less snow. And you can grab your own pair of 2012s for only $349 at Als Ski Barn. I will be putting each of my sons (good skiers) on a pair of these next year.

http://www.untracked.com/p4200c51b88...tyle_skis.html

K
    Last edited by kc_7777; 06-22-2013 at 10:13 PM.

Have a set of 187 volkl bridges drilled once for fks... Seems like they would fit your requirement for all mountain.

Also have some 186 s3 that I picked up off of cooltsi for cheap that never made it into the quiver rotation

fyi moment is running a 40% sale all available 12/13 skis, maybe you can find something good for you!

Thanks for the replies, still don't know what to do though. That is a killer sale on moments, but they don't have 188 PB&Js, only 182. Not sure if I could get away with the 182s. It has a lot of tip and tail rocker, plus I think the 188 is really about 186 from what I am reading. Any thoughts? Same thing with the bonafides, can only find them at a decent price in 180, could be too short. Line bends look interesting, but maybe to playful for my needs.

Ya,

I had the 182 PBandJs.....they measured approx. 180.5cm if I remember.....and skiied quite short at +1cm from recommended (-4.25cm).
    I wish I had mounted mine at -1cm (approx. -6cm).

K

Quote Originally Posted by cmp1223 View Post
    Thanks for the replies, still don't know what to do though. That is a killer sale on moments, but they don't have 188 PB&Js, only 182. Not sure if I could get away with the 182s. It has a lot of tip and tail rocker, plus I think the 188 is really about 186 from what I am reading. Any thoughts? Same thing with the bonafides, can only find them at a decent price in 180, could be too short. Line bends look interesting, but maybe to playful for my needs.
    why not the belafonte? not that bigger than some 100mm underfoot skis, and definitively not for an everyday ski for alta depending on the kinda terrain you like! all sizes available...

Sorry but the Bonafide is still the class in the segment anything else in a compromise.
    Click. Point. Chute.

I would say the Watea 101 might be a option
    $269 its softer than the 94 though http://www.levelninesports.com/Fischer-Watea-101-Skis
    Rev 105 great ski rips groomers $399http://www.levelninesports.com/Head-Rev-105-Skis
    Head Inferno great all around ski 105 underfoot mini tip and tail rocker $249 http://www.levelninesports.com/Head-...ip-Powder-Skis
    Atomic Alibi http://www.levelninesports.com/Atomi...bi-Powder-Skis

I know spam for level nine but Im partial but some great deals.
    If ski companies didn't make new skis every year I wouldn't have to get new skis every year.

www.levelninesports.com
    http://skiingyeti.blogspot.com/

Well I bought a pair of PB&Js for $400 shipped from the Moment sale. They didn't have any 188s in stock online, but I gave them a call and they had one pair left in the back. I'm still looking though, either to know what I want to demo next season or just for something else. I figure I can always unload the PB&Js once I get back to Utah for what I paid. The Bonafides still intrigue me, but from what I am reading they are more of a hard charging, carving ski. I think I might as well get a true carver at that point, something stiff and maybe 90 underfoot for cheaper than the Bonafides.

Quote Originally Posted by fat yeti View Post
    Rev 105 great ski rips groomers $399http://www.levelninesports.com/Head-Rev-105-Skis
    Head Inferno great all around ski 105 underfoot mini tip and tail rocker $249 http://www.levelninesports.com/Head-...ip-Powder-Skis
    FWIW, Start Haus has a pair if Rev 105 191cms for $349 shipped.

I have a pair of Inferno's in a 180-something that have 2 runs on them and a full Start Haus tune that will go for $169 plus shipping. Drilled for Guardian.
    Click. Point. Chute.

I am reviving this thread so I don't clutter up another one. I looked at the above suggestions. My requirements are slightly different. I have not bought a new pair of skis in a couple years, and don't have any experience with rockered skis. I am 5'11", 180lbs. Pretty much all Colorado skiing, about 30 days a year. Average skier in Lange RX130s.

I have been on Volkl Mantra's for about 5 years, going through 2 pairs. Love them, but the tips do dive on me, so I was hoping to get on a rockered ski, 98mm to 100MM. My last new ski was the BD Zealot in 182. They were the year before they started having rocker, and I thought they were a little much for me in the trees and wanted to dive. I need more side cut to be happy.

I also like a ski with a metal matrix that can hold up to speed and crud. Bonafide 187, Prohet 98 in 186, Atomic Alibi in 187.

Am I on the right track? Anyone skied all three? Are the longest lengths about right for me? I don't have any experience with rocker and 180 is about right on a non-rockered ski. Also, something I can find used or in a 2013 model would be great as well.

Thank you.
    "We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

If you want a one ski quiver, get the Cochise. With 30 days a year I think you are better served with looking for deal on a 98-100 used ski like the 150 Bros that just sold here and then a real powder ski.
    Life of a repo man is always intense.

k2. these http://k2skis.com/skis/mens/annex-98 see lil video

they measure a bit long. 177=180/181. quiver killer. i ski an older 92mm waist version and they are unreal. still. going into season #4. metal good

bd verdict are great too.

rog

Quote Originally Posted by cmp1223 View Post
    Hello all, long time lurker here, first post. I will be spending the winter out in Alta again, and trying to get some deals on some closeout skis. I already picked up some 186 4FRNT YLEs that are going to be my powder and fresh snow skis. I am hoping to find something around 100mm underfoot for the days when it's not snowing. 5'9" about 180lbs. Intermediate to advanced skier. So far it has come down to:

4FRNT Codys:
    186, would consider 179 but can't find them
    looks like a playful ski

Blizzard Bonafides:
    Can only find them in 180, and the most expensive of these. Obviously a highly regarded ski. Have read a lot about 180 vs 186 with this ski. Not sure what I want, even if I could find it in 186. I think the shorter would compliment my longer YLEs well; being better in the trees and bumps.

Moment PB&J:
    182, looks like a great ski but have read horror stories of cracking.

Fischer Watea 98:
    Just found these, looks promising

Any suggestions? Seems like there are so many options. Again, I don't really need a "one-quiver" ski here because I've got the YLEs. Also, as an intermediate, I would like something that I can hone my skills on and improve with. I'm not sure if there is any ski out there that will make you a better skier compared to any other ski though. I guess something a little stiffer and more demanding, right? As opposed to something like an S3? Would like to improve my technique on the steeps and bumps. Thanks guys!
    These choices are all over the map. At your size, and as an intermediate, even the 180 Bonafide will be a handful in tight places and bumps. It's a fairly stiff ski. The Fischer is a nice ski, but moderate flex, very lively and light, nearly opposite of the Bonafide in feel. The PB&J seems like a good middle of the road solution, cannot speak to the cracking issues. If price is an issue, go check out some Head 105's, good all around at dirt cheap prices.

Quote Originally Posted by otto parts View Post
    With 30 days a year I think you are better served with looking for deal on a 98-100 used ski like the 150 Bros that just sold here and then a real powder ski.
    Agree with this for gretch. Keep your Mantras since you like them, or get something else similar, and then get a true powder ski. On the latter, there are 20 bazillion threads, as you know. Demo some stuff because there are soooo many different shapes out there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

How old are you? If you're 20, get something that will challenge you to improve your technique and fitness, like the Bondafide, Cochise or Belafonte. If you're 40 get something competent but easy to ski, like an S3, Line Blend or PB&J. Also check out Praxis skis.

Head down to 2nd Tracks.

Select from the myriad of skis that a few years ago were "the" ski and are now ~50 bucks. Legend Pro, Squads, BigStix, Mantra, G4, etc etc,

Bash the fuck out of them over rocks and stumps(and some hard snow) with a smile on your face as you do so.

and as a bonus learn the lost art of the deep powder turn
    ...tricks deserve applause, style deserves respect

Quote Originally Posted by rip View Post
    Head down to 2nd Tracks.

Select from the myriad of skis that a few years ago were "the" ski and are now ~50 bucks. Legend Pro, Squads, BigStix, Mantra, G4, etc etc,

Bash the fuck out of them over rocks and stumps(and some hard snow) with a smile on your face as you do so.

and as a bonus learn the lost art of the deep powder turn
    those skis are way too fat to learn that lost art. mid 90's k2 gs race 207 ftw.

rog

They are unloading the discontinued Watea 98s for cheap, but they are a weird animal. They had the boat hull tips and traditional camber, and then the final year (wood/leaf topsheets) they had boat hull and tip and tail early rise. Fisher got rid of the bh tips and turned them into the Fat Stix, which I believe is basically the same construction. The full twin tip cuts 15 cm off the length, and combined with the early rise makes them ski really, really short. They are soft and absolutely will not carve on hard snow without moving the mount back at least 1 cm.

That being said, they are a fun ski in soft snow, but probably not the best choice for an everyday Wasatch ski unless price is your main consideration.
    Gravity Junkie

I've seen black diamonds...I am 31 and am kind of over the challenge, etc. I live in Denver, I see real black diamonds once or twice a year if I make it out to Silverton, Crested Butte, or Telluride. I am skiing Breck, Loveland, A-Basin and Beaver Creek.

Skiing has become exercise and drinking with friends. Maybe I am down becuase of the last couple years, but I don't think we get enough snow to need a powder ski and I pretty much gave up on BC, and lugging a big powder ski in the back country is no fun anyhow. That leaves me with 5 or 6 runs when we do get lucky enough to have powder, which is usually at most boot deep, and then it is crud.

I am not good enough to ski a big powder ski in really tight trees, which is all you are left with by about noon. To find in bounds powder, you have to ski shit so tight, no one else wants anything to do with it. Which is why I liked the mantra so much. You could really throw them around and kind of hook just the tips to save your ass.

I am hoping a rocker'd ski will help for those short powder shots that don't have a solid base under them in the trees, and be better in the chopped up crud. My Mantras are literally dead, and the tails are delaming and have rivits in them in.

Most of my skiing is either hard pack, taking weird tree lines to find a little powder, or skiing the tops of bumps after all the troughs are skiied out and full of rocks and sticks.
    "We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

Quote Originally Posted by gretch6364 View Post
    I've seen black diamonds...I am 31 and am kind of over the challenge, etc. I live in Denver, I see real black diamonds once or twice a year if I make it out to Silverton, Crested Butte, or Telluride. I am skiing Breck, Loveland, A-Basin and Beaver Creek.

Skiing has become exercise and drinking with friends. Maybe I am down becuase of the last couple years, but I don't think we get enough snow to need a powder ski and I pretty much gave up on BC, and lugging a big powder ski in the back country is no fun anyhow. That leaves me with 5 or 6 runs when we do get lucky enough to have powder, which is usually at most boot deep, and then it is crud.

I am not good enough to ski a big powder ski in really tight trees, which is all you are left with by about noon. To find in bounds powder, you have to ski shit so tight, no one else wants anything to do with it. Which is why I liked the mantra so much. You could really throw them around and kind of hook just the tips to save your ass.

I am hoping a rocker'd ski will help for those short powder shots that don't have a solid base under them in the trees, and be better in the chopped up crud. My Mantras are literally dead, and the tails are delaming and have rivits in them in.

Most of my skiing is either hard pack, taking weird tree lines to find a little powder, or skiing the tops of bumps after all the troughs are skiied out and full of rocks and sticks.
    Look at the Blizzard Cochise. Great all around ski that is fine in powder and good on hard snow. It's a good everyday ski at Whistler, I don't mind it on hard snow at all (except moguls but who skis those).

Quote Originally Posted by Flexon Phil View Post
    Sorry but the Bonafide is still the class in the segment anything else in a compromise.
    What Phil said. I also did not believe the hype until I skiied them at Alta last year. Within one run I realized these were the 100 mm ski I had dreamed about. Honestly I enjoy them even more than my Kastles for most situations. Also head and shoulders above the Fischer Wateas, which I used to own. The Watea 101 is a great ski, but the Bonafide does everything better.

Quote Originally Posted by Beyond View Post
    At your size, and as an intermediate, even the 180 Bonafide will be a handful in tight places and bumps. It's a fairly stiff ski. The Fischer is a nice ski, but moderate flex, very lively and light, nearly opposite of the Bonafide in feel.
    I respectfully disagree. I've owned them both, and the Bonafide is everything the Fischer SHOULD be. The Bonafide is also lively, super easy to initiate turns, will let you butter at will, yet holds an amazing edge. The Fischer is a great ski. The Bonafide is straight from heaven. And I think any intermediate can handle it and take their game to the next level.

However I also agree that the Bonafide is no powder ski. If you're spending your winter in Alta get a real powder ski also and you'll have a great two ski quiver to cover 99% of situations.