Check Out Our Shop
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

TR: "Freestyle Mountaineering"

Mike_Records and I departed from the Climax Mine Trailhead wearing dry-wicking fabrics. We carried Nalgene bottles full of electrolyte infused drinks. Gluten-Free protein bars and form fitting thermal layers filled our packs. An inclinometer and altitude watch were in the mix somewhere. I think we may have stretched for a bit in preparation for our tour. In short, we left the car your run-of-the-mill ski and snowboard mountaineers.

Our Mountaineering Destination:

We redirected our approach route to comply with private property lines. We set skin tracks at acceptably moderate pitches to maximize efficiency and minimize energy expenditure. We managed body temperatures by proactively shedding layers and made sure to document each phase of the journey to share with online forums later. Steep turns and crampons would mark our day. Ice axes and water-repelling Pants. Upstanding mountaineers, the two of us.

Mike discovered reactive layers in the Spring snowpack; we changed objectives and terrain, happy to keep the steel front-points of our crampons on snow a little longer. We stepped up Mt. Arkansas' Northeast Couloir uniformly and obediently. The climb was steep though straightforward, with soft snow providing ample purchase for our mountaineering tools. We made our way under and past the looming cornice, happy to stand above an obvious objective hazard.

We made the summit of Mt. Arkansas, thrilled to check off another peak from our Bi-Centennial list (Colorado's top 200 tallest mountains). Great Success!

As our descent route was receiving direct radiation, and as such losing surface firmness by the minute, we made haste to changeover to downhill mode. Mike dropped into the top of the line first, utilize fine alpine jump turns to manage the steep pitch and heavy snow.

Once Mike had repositioned himself in a safe zone, he used our predetermined and agreed upon commands to call me down. "CLEAR!" "Ok, dropping!"
    I made my down the chute, linking intentional small turns to help manage the pitch, avoid exposed rock, and mitigate my velocity and manage my body's downhill inertia. Soon I was comfortable enough to open it up a bit and make some medium-radius turns on the apron. Mike followed suit, moving with precision and control. Cool stuff! What a fun day!

We couldn't, in good faith to our ethics and responsibilities as mountaineers, continue to climb and ski with lingering instabilities. Our tour would be finished prematurely though responsibly. The mountains had made a decision, and we obeyed. We packed our belongings and left no trace, and then the darndest thing happened. I accidentally steered my splitboard over a small windlip and caught air. What a thrilling sensation! I called to Mike to try our catching some air. Tentatively, he moved towards the edge of the 50cm drop and hopped into the air. "Wow, that was cool as heck!"

It must have been the adrenaline coursing through our veins, but as we looked around the basin we couldn't help but to notice all the wind features. They were everywhere. And they were calling. Encouraging. Drawing us in. They were removed from slide path runouts. They formed on multiple aspects. We had to stay a little longer.

I took off my beacon. Mike tossed his crampons and 38L duel sport compatible pack to the side. I assembled my avalanche shovel for something other than digging pits and saving lives. Mike changed his sport sunglasses for newschool Oakley Goggles. I craved gluten and alcohol. Mike cursed. And the session began.

Mountaineers Figuring out a Quarter Pipe:

And sending a jump:

Fuck yes! Inverts and freestyle filled the Arkansas Basin. We jibbed windformed spines. Buttered cornices and tapped rocks. Let our pants fall low and our irreverence increase. Mike flooded a dirt road jibbing an ice damn. I monster trucked through willows for the hell of it.

We returned to the car smelling like hell, goggles over our noses, twin-tipped and wanting tequila and women. We returned freestyle mountaineers.
    An Evolutionary Rider

www.PeaksforPeace.com

Nice work. I enjoyed the read

off your knees Louie

Quote Originally Posted by KansasBoarder View Post
    And sending a jump:
    That KansasBoarder is such a troublemaker! In case there was any doubt, I did not land this...

Pffft... freestyle mountaineering.... I'd believe it if you were getting inverted to rope-swing rappel wearing a climbing harness!

I was wondering where that was going. Entertaining.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Quote Originally Posted by LightRanger View Post
    I was wondering where that was going. Entertaining.
    I was banking on it being a PSA about safe mountaineering. Pleasantly surprised.

Nice! entertaining TR
    Quote Originally Posted by Hohes View Post
    I couldn't give a fuck, but today I am procrastinating so TGR is my filler.
    Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    faceshots are a powerful currency
    get paid

Good read, thanks!

not sure where that was going when I started reading.
    Amusing..... thanks for sharing.

1000 points, this was awesome. Good to see some care-free fun in an otherwise very, very serious (makes serious face) outdoor pursuit.

Great work. Fritz's book calls it "one of the most aesthetic lines in the range"... and he calls it MOONSHINE COULOIR.... I don't know the history of that.

And just to confirm, despite the slightly aggressive signage at Climax Corner, giving no indication that there is right of passage on the road, there is an easement on the road so the public can pass through there.

good stuff yo
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

excellent work!
    Ich bitte dich nur, weck mich nicht.

remember that the side of no trespassing signs don't say nothing, that land is made for you and me!
    Its not that I suck at spelling, its that I just don't care

Love it. A well written photo TR of people having fun in the snow. Yay!
    Days on snow this season: 54 Last Season: 83

www.poachninja.com

Great stuff, guys. Fun day, funny read. Thanks

I like your style, dude.
    "Just send it you pussy."

Hell yes!
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovetoskiatalta View Post
    Dude its losers like you that give ski bums a bad rap.

fun TR...

Sick shot.

Quote Originally Posted by KansasBoarder;3998433

And sending a jump:
    [URL=http://s1185.photobucket.com/user/BrennanMetzler/media/ArkansasCouloirPark3.jpeg.html
    [/URL]

Hilarious! Don't forget your jerseys next time for bonus shred points, but I think the inverts made up for it here. Yea!

Sweet TR! Thanks for the chuckle and nice photos buddy.
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!

very nice. way to be open to the possibilities....serious mountaineering becomes jib session.

A+++ poster, would read again
    Be careful about buying snowboard goggles for skiing. Snowboard goggles come in right eye and left eye (for goofy-footers) dominant models. This can make it hard to see correctly when skiing because you are facing straight down the hill, not sideways.