Check Out Our Shop

Thread: R.I.P. Cab

R.I.P. Cab

Christian Cabanilla dedicated his life to showing others the time of theirs. Cab, was uniquely talented; he had the skills to take people to the bottom of mountains while guiding, or to the top while piloting an A-Star. Numerous AK heli ops were lucky to have him around. Undoubtedly, he changed the lives of many mags, and a ton of others while serving up sicker runs than they ever imagined to be possible.

Sadly, he passed on today when a cornice collapsed in the Chilkat Mountains outside of Haines. This is a huge loss to all of AK and beyond. Several other skiers were also hurt and are in need of positive energy.

R.I.P., buddy. I'll never forget the sound of your deep laughter or your consummate professionalism.

Fuck!! Dude was one of the good ones, for sure!

Very sad for my friends in Haines.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Shred View Post
    Fuck!! Dude was one of the good ones, for sure!
    Awww man...... Cabs was a great guy, super chill.....this is really sad.

++++++vibes to those injured+++++

Vibes to all. So sorry to hear this.
    "Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention to arrive safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow!!! What a ride!"

"We been runnin' these goddam hills for dang near, huh?"
    Sturgis Uncensored

Such a good bro. Will be missed. positive thoughts to all involved!
    Pleasure to have shred and flown with you!

It's been a rough few days. RIP Cab.

Very sad...VIBES to all involved and to the community of haines......

RIP...may you ski the endless pow in the sky....
    always forward but never straight

Very sad to hear the rumors from yesterday proved to be true.
    Its not that I suck at spelling, its that I just don't care

http://xgames.espn.go.com/snowboardi...li-pilot-guide

As both a helicopter pilot and guide, Christian Cabanilla holds a unique place in the snowboarding industry. The 32-year-old is based out of Valdez, Alaska, chases snow from the Arctic to Antarctica, and fights wildfires as a pilot. Due to his crossover talents honed while guiding for 10 years and flying for three, Cabanilla is known for his ability to scout big, film-worthy lines from the air. We caught up with him talk about his life on the go.
    How'd you get into guiding and flying?
    I saw that you could either pay a bunch of money to go skiing, or get paid to go skiing [as a guide]. So I just camped out in Valdez and helped out any way I could to learn the ropes of heli-guiding. I was looking for some way that I could support my snowboarding addiction, and one of the pilots at H2O, Wes Conrad, said, "Here's what you have to do if you want to become a helicopter pilot." So I started going to flight-training school in Seattle seasonally so I could still snowboard in Alaska and South America.
    Which companies have you worked for?
    I started tail guiding with H2O Guides, then I worked with Valdez Heli Camps, then Points North Heli-Adventures. Now I'm with SEABA [Southeast Alaska Backcountry Adventures]. I've flown for Alaska Backcountry Adventures, Valdez Heli Camps, Valdez Heli-Ski Guides, and I've done a little flying and guiding for Alaska Powder Descents in Juneau.
    So are you the Alaska heli scene whore?
    [Laughs] You could say that, I suppose.
    How common is it for a guide to be a pilot?
    I don't know of anyone else. I wish I did. I'd probably ski a lot more.
    How do you split your time?
    I've been splitting the season in half. I'll guide for six weeks, fly for six weeks. It would be difficult to ski one day, fly one day, ski one day, fly one day.
    Which one's more stressful?
    Flying. It just is. There's more things that can go wrong, more things that you worry about.
    What's the key to guiding from the top down?
    It's really about knowing where your line is. You have to train yourself to look at everything on the way in so you know where to go into the blind rollovers, the big bowling balls -- where to initiate your run or initiate the next couple turns, given the rock cliffs, the ice cliffs, crevasses. When I'm flying around [as a pilot], that's all I'm looking at: ski lines.
    Spent time with any film crews?
    Two winters ago, I got to fly around with Ueli Kestenholz, the guy who ski glided off the Matterhorn, and Seth Wescott. Over the years I've guided for Burton, Standard and some MSP stuff back in the day. But film crews, while rewarding because you get to see cool lines and people rip, they're not always the most fun to guide or fly. Just because you're not riding as much -- you're waiting for the camera to get set up.
    For me, the best skiing is usually done with high-end private groups where you can fly a little farther. You tend to get better skiers, so you can tee off pretty hard.
    What was this spring like in the Chugach?
    It was just high pressure after high pressure. So it would snow, but then we'd get all these winds that blew away all our snow and made it extremely cold and dry. I was looking out my window in February, and it looked like the second storm of October. Then as soon as that pattern broke down in April, I think we got six feet of snow in a week and it stayed pretty good for most of April.
    How do you identify yourself, as a pilot or snowboarder?
    The flying is still a means to an end. It's how I support my snowboarding addiction. So I'd say I'm a snowboarder first and foremost.

Sorry to hear it Matt.

Vibes.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Brother down.

Sad day

One of the family. We are shook up out the road for sure.

Much love to you guys.

rip.
    Drive slow, homie.

bad news

fuckinggoddamnit
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

I'll see you at Fiddler's Green...

It's been a pleasure!
    "I'm looking pretty good, don't you think?" - the other says "watching you ski is like watching a retarded monkey rollerblade on a gravel road"

www.majesticheliski.com

So sad to hear this. Christian was such a great guy. I've known him since his first trip to AK, so young and eager. It always amazed me how quickly he went from snowboarder to guide and pilot. Such an amazing person. My thoughts are with his family and friends and of course I'm thinking of C-Cab, I'll miss you bro.

Sounds like a great guy. Vibes all around.

Last night there was a remembrance up in Haines for Christian Cabanilla. By fortunate happenstance I was able to be involved for a few moments if only over a cell connection. A bonfire at the beach for someone who was universally liked and respected. As Sunny said in our conversation, it's not a sport for most people. Guiding in the alpine puts a person "on point" in a way that few other professions do, it takes a very special person to choose it.

The season has just started in Haines and the Chilkat. I'm headed up tomorrow. It IS one way of celebrating Cab's life. Whether at 33 mile or in town at the fort, it's worth the effort if you can join in.
    Lucky Thirteen!

Condolences to family and friends. I will be there in 2 weeks. It's unfortunate that I will never get to meet him as he seems like an awesome guy with whom to have made some turns.

thoughts and prayers to his family, the Haines community and team SEABA

http://cedricbernardini.com/2013/03/...fucking-exist/

Pretty intense blog post from one of the survivors about the accident and their final days together.

Super sad. R.I.P.and I will rip a run tonight in memoriam. Life is a flicker.

sent by electrons