Alpine binding recomendations for AT boots

I'm a patroler and out of my skis as much as in them and looking for a good binding to work with some AT boots. I'll probably go the Adrenaline route just becasue the Garmont boots fit me a little better than Scarpas and the flex felt closer to what I'm looking for than Denalis. What 12-14 din alpine binding are people using that will fit with the rubber soles? I'm well aware of the release issues, just more concerned with height issues. THX

Buy Freerides or Naxos.

Quote Originally Posted by crashnburn'd
    Buy Freerides or Naxos.
    he said alpine bindings!...I guess you already own one of the above and are looking for something simpler and durable - Salamons.....most patrolers I know ride around on salamon deoms when not on At binders - they are cheap adjustable in the toe height and they fit anyones boots...if you are going to spend the coin on new binders and only you are using them then 916's are hard to beat.
    Knowledge is Powder

I know he said alpine... I just figured I'd get the ignorant post out of the way.

Well I should have said I have broke the same part in my freerides twice now. I'm not exactly sure what the part name is, but its the plastic part where the toe srew is threaded into. I've seen in one day at Silverton 5 pairs of Naxo break so I'm not super excited about those either. If I go in the BC I have some light AT skis, but for work i usually ski 193 M103's and I just think they are to heavy of a ski for AT bindings. So I just want something simple and low maintance that I can count on and will work with my AT boots due to the amount of walking around I do.
    What about the 914 bindings, I've seen some of them around used pretty cheap, obviously they have a lower din, but is the construction about the same?

Quote Originally Posted by grooveninja
    I've seen in one day at Silverton 5 pairs of Naxo break so I'm not super excited about those either.
    Any of them 04/05 though? After they recast them with fiber-reinforced plastic and beefed up the lock lever and brake-stomp pad, I haven't seen any of this year's units broken.

The adrenalin comes with a rubber AT sole and a normal alpine din sole,Just undo the 11 phillips screws and put the Din sole on and use ant binding you want.I am not sure how well an alpine bindings release functions would work with a rubber at sole.

Do not buy Salomons. You need a binding with a moving AFD. I used Look P12s to great success.

Here is a thread (SEARCH FUNCTION) on the topic

http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...ead.php?t=5507
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

i have had great luck w/ AT boots in salomons.
    have skied g-rides and adrenalines (w/ AT sole) in 997 11-17's & 916's
    have have released when i need to with the DIN set at the same as with alpine boots - just adjust bootsole/forward pressure and toe height/width.

also the 914's and 916's are TOTALLY DIFFERANT

I have found that something with a adjustable toe height is critical. Salomon has this. Look rossi do not. Sometimes you can jam the boot in and it will work just fine. sometimes not so much

WE NEED A NEW BINDING!!

Now that we have lightweight somewhat burly Naxo, Freeride, Pure, etc.

We need a non-touring alpine style binding that safely takes rando ski boots.

Should be simple: Adjustable toe height with moving low friction AFD plate.
    Why doesn't this exist already???

i used my looks rossi 140 and turned the din down to 7 normally at 10 and it worked fine, but i also have close to 100 days on my freerides. and well they work too.
    shut up and ski

Standard solys work just fine, as do the s920s as far as looks go, the p18 will work, but it is a bitch to resize to fit my adrenalins after being mounted for my soly boots originally. Also you do not need a moving afd for vibram sole boots, standard afd's work just fine, infact standard teflon afd's have a lower coeficient of friction than moving afds, and the vibram will compress if needed to release. I switiched to the adrenalins at the begining of FEB and I will never ever go back to an alpine boot, the adrenalins ski just as good as my xwave 10,s are way more comfortable, and way a hell of a lot less, its really a no brainer to switch, Alpine boots do not offer anything over the new beefy at boots unless you race. My only complaint with the adrenalins is the stock g-fit liner sucks ass.
    The Ski Journal theskijournal.com
    frequency TSJ frqncy.com

Quote Originally Posted by ScottG
    WE NEED A NEW BINDING!!
    ummm next years all metal naxo?
    For sure, you have to be lost to find a place that can't be found, elseways everyone would know where it was

Quote Originally Posted by mtbakerskier
    Standard solys work just fine, as do the s920s as far as looks go, the p18 will work, but it is a bitch to resize to fit my adrenalins after being mounted for my soly boots originally. Also you do not need a moving afd for vibram sole boots, standard afd's work just fine, infact standard teflon afd's have a lower coeficient of friction than moving afds, and the vibram will compress if needed to release. I switiched to the adrenalins at the begining of FEB and I will never ever go back to an alpine boot, the adrenalins ski just as good as my xwave 10,s are way more comfortable, and way a hell of a lot less, its really a no brainer to switch, Alpine boots do not offer anything over the new beefy at boots unless you race. My only complaint with the adrenalins is the stock g-fit liner sucks ass.
    i am ridding the g-ride now as my everyday boot and i switched linners with a lowa one, its laced up makes hell of a difference. my style and technique has adapted to the boots
    shut up and ski

When I clip into a Freeride or Naxo, and see the slop (boot moving torsionally in the toepiece), is that resolved by using an alpine binder on a rando sole??
    I would reef down more on the toepiece, but fear breakage.

When using alpine binders, is there still some slop due to the rubber sole?

Cool point about rubber compressing if need be on the AFD for a release.

Have ridden GRide as daily inbounds ski, but still like a stiffer boot.
    Finally shop-flexed an Adrenaline. Seemed OK, but not fully stiff. Definitely stiffer than GRide. But also not as comfy in walk mode.

So MtBaker - you have adrenalin's, ski them in alpine binders mostly, but use the Vibram sole??
    What is it about the GFit liner you hate??? I have it in GRides and its OK, packs out a bit, but I have tight shell fit. I am 28.5 and that is max size in shell. Are you at the low end of the shell size?? (e.g., my shell also fits size 27 liners - they may pack out too easy).

Quote Originally Posted by grooveninja
    Well I should have said I have broke the same part in my freerides twice now. I'm not exactly sure what the part name is, but its the plastic part where the toe srew is threaded into. I've seen in one day at Silverton 5 pairs of Naxo break so I'm not super excited about those either. If I go in the BC I have some light AT skis, but for work i usually ski 193 M103's and I just think they are to heavy of a ski for AT bindings. So I just want something simple and low maintance that I can count on and will work with my AT boots due to the amount of walking around I do.
    What about the 914 bindings, I've seen some of them around used pretty cheap, obviously they have a lower din, but is the construction about the same?
    Is this the guy from mammoth?

Sounds like you want the skinning option or you wouldn't be considering naxos or freerides. pm 3pin about his tele to fixed heel G3 setup. Saw it today and it looked nice.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottG
    So MtBaker - you have adrenalin's, ski them in alpine binders mostly, but use the Vibram sole??
    What is it about the GFit liner you hate??? I have it in GRides and its OK, packs out a bit, but I have tight shell fit. I am 28.5 and that is max size in shell. Are you at the low end of the shell size?? (e.g., my shell also fits size 27 liners - they may pack out too easy).
    I ski 50/50 in high din (P18 or S920's) and Naxo's so I just leave the vibram soles on, I havent had a problem using vibram soles on alpine binders, and the vibram soles offer way more advantages for skiing / hiking touring etc then the "supposed" release problems by not using an alpine sole. I doubt that I will ever put the alpine sole on these boots, its jsut nice being able to replace the vibram when it wears down (I got my boots with 2 sets of vibram)

Problem with the liner is the two slits infront of the ankle allows my ankle to lift in the boot, even thou it is shell fit extremly well. I have also noticed the liner shifting in the boot when skiing hard / fast on steep pow runs. I am coming from a foamed liner in my alpine boots so any ankle movement when skiing pisses me off. However I am so confident in the way these boots ski / fir I will not ever go back to a alpine boot, I just need to find a better liner solution, IE Foam, Zip fit etc.

As far as skiability goes, to make the boot ski as much like an alpine boot as possible, I installed booster straps, heatmolded the tounge to eliminate its abroupt feeling on my shins, I have also added some pvc based glue to the inside of the shell to make the flex a bit more progesive and a tad less abroupt.

Overall with the exception of the liner these boots are exactly what I ahve been looking for for the last 5 years.
    The Ski Journal theskijournal.com
    frequency TSJ frqncy.com

ScottG - What boots are you using? sounds like the rbber sole is soft....My Lowa's have this problem a bit in Freerides, but my home converted F1 Pro's have much less...the only real difference is the F1's have harder rubber sole's...my F1's have no slp in salamons and my lowa's have just a little... both boots can be jamed into Markers and Looks but not well, the work better in Tyrolias but only perform to near DIN in Salamons and AT bindings......to reduce slop further, reduce weight I'm heading towards Dynafit - now with DIN 12!
    Last edited by Idris; 03-01-2005 at 02:50 PM.
    Knowledge is Powder

Quote Originally Posted by mtbakerskier
    I ski 50/50 in high din (P18 or S920's) and Naxo's so I just leave the vibram soles on, I havent had a problem using vibram soles on alpine binders, and the vibram soles offer way more advantages for skiing / hiking touring etc then the "supposed" release problems by not using an alpine sole. I doubt that I will ever put the alpine sole on these boots, its jsut nice being able to replace the vibram when it wears down (I got my boots with 2 sets of vibram)

Problem with the liner is the two slits infront of the ankle allows my ankle to lift in the boot, even thou it is shell fit extremly well. I have also noticed the liner shifting in the boot when skiing hard / fast on steep pow runs. I am coming from a foamed liner in my alpine boots so any ankle movement when skiing pisses me off. However I am so confident in the way these boots ski / fir I will not ever go back to a alpine boot, I just need to find a better liner solution, IE Foam, Zip fit etc.

As far as skiability goes, to make the boot ski as much like an alpine boot as possible, I installed booster straps, heatmolded the tounge to eliminate its abroupt feeling on my shins, I have also added some pvc based glue to the inside of the shell to make the flex a bit more progesive and a tad less abroupt.

Overall with the exception of the liner these boots are exactly what I ahve been looking for for the last 5 years.

nordica makes a spoiler that goes inside the top cuff and screws in the clips but on the inside it sort of gives ya more leverage and distributes the weight through the tongue, check that out...
    shut up and ski