Check Out Our Shop
Page 35 of 48 FirstFirst ... 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    I dunno, I had a pretty awesome day, despite it being super crowded. Just accepted that it was quality over quanity and had a handful of really sick pow laps. 1st tracks into Corona at 3pm made the day!

Postman, Tim and Shirk taking time to smell the roses in Corona bowl.

Postman and Shirk score 1st tracks down Corona at 3pm no less...

I can't think of a better way to end the day.

I just took this shot of poop chutes in the alpen glow from my deck. Anyone have any idea who the fucktards are setting a skin track up the most dangerously slide prone, exposed chute out there? Idiots.

This is why I have a tough time embracing newbies into the BC. Most have good intentions but couldn't set a safe skintrack to literally save their lives

Yeah not the best skin track (not mine)...but there are many who might question the decision making in skiing corona today too, so to each their own I suppose!

What a gorgeous day in the Coast Mountains..

P11 - nice pics dude, any observations on stability in the Blackcomb sidecountry? Don't Swill pop in the usual spot? Wanting to check out Husume tomorrow. Wow @ that skintrack, the day after a storm cycle with massive loading?! Wayne Flann has posted about it on his blog a few times a year, but this is just insanity, what the fuck.

Friday - wettest day I can remember, I didn't get any wetter skiing to the village in the rain around 1:30. Even Mr. Optimism needed some beers after that.

Sat - Didn't get up until late afternoon, last few runs were best of the day.

Today - Great powder day. Got in Creekside line around 8 and it was already near the back of the corrals. Went straight to Harmony and managed 5 solid laps from ~9:50am opening to 1pm, anything shaded was dry and somewhat deep. Harmony line was the longest I've ever seen, but from that picture Peak looks like it was worse.

Quote Originally Posted by jjnorm View Post
    Yeah not the best skin track (not mine)...but there are many who might question the decision making in skiing corona today too, so to each their own I suppose!

What a gorgeous day in the Coast Mountains..
    Skinning up a big slide path is maximal exposure to hazard

Skiing Corona a NW slope that starts at 30 deg in a big wide fan and steepens to 35-40 deg at narrow point has its own set of objective hazards but can be much more easily managed.

There is a big difference between the two activities.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post

Skiing Corona a NW slope that starts at 30 deg in a big wide fan and steepens to 35-40 deg at narrow point has its own set of objective hazards but can be much more easily managed.

yeah, I don't think you can even compare the two...

Skinning up a known slide path on a regular basis is blatantly stupid with absolutely no excuse for how stupid it is while skiing Corona after it was heli bombed (clearly visisble from Saphire bowl) by Blackcomb patrol in the am and talking to the forecaster, who felt everything that was gonna slide had slid, we decided it was a managable risk. If things were that dangerous back there, patrol would not have let anyone onto Blackcomb glacier.

We gave the natural trigger zone on skiers left an extremely wide berth and started from the apex of Corona bowl as high as you can get as to not cut out any anchors by cutting across the middle. Stuck to the skiers right down the bowl and avoided the narrow exit chute by traversing right and staying high over towards the poop chutes. Don't Swill had been ski cut prior and had slid down already.

BTW, we paid tribute and made some sweet Lee Lau bum wiggle pow turns down Spearhead Glacier! It was all time.
    Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature... Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. -Helen Keller

Skied Blackcomb today. I waited until about 10:30 for Glacier Express to open. Skiing was great--False Face, Sudain and Ruby Bowl all had powder all day. Snow was nice and soft almost down to the lift. Lift lines were never more than 10 minutes. Props to the patrollers, groomers, lifties and mechanics who got everything ready.

Peak was rad... Line didn't feel so long with the air show over waterfall and air Jordan. Sounds like I missed someone doubling up on Jordan, awesome.

BTW, we paid tribute and made some sweet Lee Lau bum wiggle pow turns down Spearhead Glacier! It was all time.
    Am coming up to get the Beasts and Lhasa Pows and Vulcans off you on thursday. Can I bum wiggle those skis?

Quote Originally Posted by kevin267 View Post
    Peak was rad... Line didn't feel so long with the air show over waterfall and air Jordan. Sounds like I missed someone doubling up on Jordan, awesome.
    Someone just sent me this shitty iphone edit of it from crackbook, but you can see Julian Carr front flip the entire Air Jordan from the top and lands a country mile down the apron while Stan Rey simutaniously nails it proper. Fucking insanity!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...type=2&theater
    Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature... Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. -Helen Keller

Anybody know why spankies closed mid day today? did something go down over there?

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post

How else do you get noticed these days. Sponsors =

You don't need to be able to ski anymore. u just need to attract attention!

Someone just sent me this shitty iphone edit of it from crackbook, but you can see Julian Carr front flip the entire Air Jordan from the top and lands a country mile down the apron while Stan Rey simutaniously nails it proper. Fucking insanity!

Dominski was rappped too

Dudes, where would you ski tomorrow? Any advice?

Quote Originally Posted by point it View Post
    Anybody know why spankies closed mid day today? did something go down over there?
    Was just halfway up the ladder when patrol shut it down - they said that there was a reported slide in Diamond that they had to investigate... from first run in there it looked like the whole thing slid from bombing so I'm not sure what went

daammnnnn - hats off to him, someone out there must have better footage - can't wait to see it [edit - looks like he's been filming with the sherpas so I'm sure they've got it.. edit again, in the video you can see sluff coming off regular jordan, turns out it was Stan Rey throwing a back flip off regular jordan]

regarding that skin track, someone was taking a good stab at a darwin award. sure they control that area (and everything that slides in bounds) but that's still a massive risk especially since there's a chance you could endanger resort skiers below...
    Last edited by AngryBeard; 03-03-2013 at 11:39 PM.

WOW. Guessing this is for Into the Mind? Can't wait to see higher quality vid of it.

Skied Blackcomb today and it was easily the deepest day I've had all season. Waited for 7th to crack and had two great runs near the avi gates at lakeside (big slide into lakeside killed most of the snow). Couloir and 5-0 were incredible. Did a couple of Spanky's laps on Diamond and apparently Diamond slid mid-dayish and closed the area for a bit (yikes). Lots of hoots and hollers and big smiles had by all! Here's to a couple more storms this month!

Is it just me or is Whistler always busier than Blackcomb no matter the day.

Big crowds and no Showcase made for a great day.
    Managed to get the first track down Blackcomb Glacier, set the skin track all the way to DOA(acceptable to borrow a term), and back over to set the skin to Corona with P11 and crew.
    1st time to have all 3 first in one day.

Left some snow graffiti on the skin track cause there was nobody out there first lap.
    Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.

I wonder if the Spanky's closure was for Bad Attitude. Diamond had slid from the top by the time I got there --- which was in the first 15 chairs or something --- and nobody had really been in save for two tracks heading into BA. I hit first tracks into Calvin, came out underneath BA and the whole thing had basically cut from what I could tell.

Lift lines were insane. Should've had more brains like Max + P11 & skinned the Glacier. Saw the 7th line madness, went over to Whistler and skinned around Flute instead ... it was good times, untracked, sun & deepness.
    == | slacktopia | ==
    http://twitch.tv/fugitivephilo
    still bangin' beats

Awesomeness!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1362403160.832968.jpg 
Views:	369 
Size:	159.3 KB 
ID:	133962

You guys too P11, Postman, Shirk, Tim...
    Last edited by robnow; 03-04-2013 at 07:33 AM.

So how much did the hordes destroy on Sunday - I had to work but am thinking of taking tomorrow up there. Anything left? Gawd I hope so.

That is just fucking ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by knowsam View Post
    So how much did the hordes destroy on Sunday - I had to work but am thinking of taking tomorrow up there. Anything left? Gawd I hope so.
    You must be new around here.

EVERYTHING in-bounds on both mountains was destroyed by 1pm yesterday. Like utterly destroyed, tracked out, most every imaginable air has a bomb hole in the landing.

It's standard on a WB blue bird weekend powder day to assume the mountain has been assassinated by lunch. Shortly after lunch troops start working to take down the low hanging fruit in the side country.

Be at the front of the pack or get the scraps.

I'm stuck in Vancouver for a few days, and want to check out Whistler for a day while I'm here. Anyone driving down for a day tomorrow or Wednesday? I can split gas, and the beer is on me.

Pow

she somehow managed to keep her momentum decent

POOF!

Snorkel Please