Check Out Our Shop
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by DGamms View Post
    A quick update on ordering from Snowinn: bindings arrived 10 days after my order, as they weren't in stock in the warehouse initially. Brakes are indeed 100 mm, but I got 115 mm brakes from Evo for $30, so total cost was $298 for new Guardians with 115 mm brakes.
    Sweet deal. When I bought my Automatics and Guardians in December, I received the Guardians for an extra $260 USD. Was pretty stoked on the package deal from http://www.telemark-pyrenees.com/en
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Quote Originally Posted by DGamms View Post
    A quick update on ordering from Snowinn: bindings arrived 10 days after my order, as they weren't in stock in the warehouse initially. Brakes are indeed 100 mm, but I got 115 mm brakes from Evo for $30, so total cost was $298 for new Guardians with 115 mm brakes.
    Didn't think to check evo for breaks, $30 is the best price I've seen on them. Looks like the bindings are up to $317 on snowinn.com now though.

Will 115mm brakes fit over 122mm waist with a bit of a bend? Or just go for 130's?

PhilM: Thanks for the info on sizing, I will be going small as I think I might be able to downsize one more shell size on my next boots.

Finally got a decent tour on the Guardians during a hut trip the last few days. They performed exactly as you might expect. A bit heavy but solid on the downhill.

On the way out from the hut I got some time at the resort on them. I did notice the play others were talking about but only when I was on the lift dicking around with them. As soon as I was on the snow there was no issue at all.

I only have 2 days but like mine so far. I think the heel play is a design intention and not a flaw; it's pretty unlikely Salomon designed and tested these over several years and just overlooked it. If you look at how the hooks are designed its clear this is just part of the cake. I can't notice it skiing. Have yet to use these for a longer tour, but liking so far...

These must be the common binding at Revy these days, they got something right and look to have sold a fuck ton of units

Clicked in yesterday and noticed some play in both my toes. About 20 days on them so far mounted on renegades. Tightened them back down and skied the rest of the day. Will check the next few times before going out. Hopefully it's just a break in thing.

After some usage here is my note:
    I've got my bindings mounted on one of skis with some horizontal deviation - binding was not perfect in place, had to push binding few milimeters to side in order to qlick into ski mode. First time after short touring up the hill I almost lost front screw, it almost fell of the mount. Lucky I noticed it before the run. After fixing it on the hill(putting it on the place) it never felt of again. Also deviation in mount had gone. So you need to be carefull with who installs your bindings, obvious mine were not properly mounted .
    Touring is easy and comfortable(have not done flat touring though). I got several times my lower ski (to the hill when going not straignt but traversing the slope) being stepped into the ski mode during hiking quite steep slope. Also qlick into the ski mode is sometimes not straightforward, binding seems to be stepped in, but marks say opposite(see video). So I always check bindings before ascent.
    Skiing several times in trees, groomers, open pow slope. Binding feels super great and comfortable. Had no chance to test release though Also have not used any other touring binding so cannot compare it to others.

Can anyone confirm if there are any changes to the 13/14 Guardian/Tracker from the 12/13 version? Seems like nothing has changed, just want to be sure.

Thanks

I liked my Guardians until I tried to flick the touring mode switch with my pole. 20 minutes later, cussing & cursing, both skis off, gloves off, trying to get the f*cking things undone ... and I wish I had EPF Dukes.

YMMV. I know people have had same issue with Dukes, though I haven't. But I found that video showing easy-pole-access, well, let's just say it ain't reality. A bit of West Coast snow and that whole mechanism freezes shut. At least with Dukes you've got a nice big lever — hence LEVERAGE — so you can have physics on your side.

If I lived in a drier snow climate and the pole-flick performed as advertised I'd probably love them, as the lower stack height and feel-on-ski is truly awesome and feels more clamped and connected than Dukes.
    == | slacktopia | ==
    http://twitch.tv/fugitivephilo
    still bangin' beats

^^ I haven't had any problems switching while in "west coast snow" - whatever that means. Including some really cold days.

Quote Originally Posted by khyber.pass View Post
    I liked my Guardians until I tried to flick the touring mode switch with my pole. 20 minutes later, cussing & cursing, both skis off, gloves off, trying to get the f*cking things undone ... and I wish I had EPF Dukes.

YMMV. I know people have had same issue with Dukes, though I haven't. But I found that video showing easy-pole-access, well, let's just say it ain't reality. A bit of West Coast snow and that whole mechanism freezes shut. At least with Dukes you've got a nice big lever — hence LEVERAGE — so you can have physics on your side.

If I lived in a drier snow climate and the pole-flick performed as advertised I'd probably love them, as the lower stack height and feel-on-ski is truly awesome and feels more clamped and connected than Dukes.
    Too late, already bought and mounted . My Dukes were getting to the point of dangerous slop (5 seasons), found the Guardians for $399 mounted locally and for some reason EPF's are $500 in Canada. Maybe spraying down the ski/skin mechanism with some pam like substance will prevent icing?

I just had a used pair of guardians mounted and have significant side to side play at the heel. its not between the hooks and the heel piece. The actual hooked plate is not clamped down to the ski and floats. it looks like the plate that is supposed to sandwich the hooked plate down to the ski is flush with the ski like it should be. Seems excessive to me...but then the hooked plate needs to be able to slide back and forth to allow the hooks to disengage.

Sounds like this is fairly common but I don't understand the different results that people are getting. I guess I could pull the heel plates off and check for volcanoes but the plastic piece looks completely flush to the topsheet. Any new thoughts?

I just checked out a display mount and a brand new pair that the shop had just mounted on new skis and they feel about the same as mine. Also talked to a tech who said some are tighter than others but the play is normal. This was not the shop that mounted my bindings but one that I feel has quite a bit of experience with them.

I have only skied soft snow so far where they feel fine but hopefully they feel better than my old dukes in harder conditions.

Bumpity.
    Anyone use the 13s? They are lighter, I don't need a 16 DIN and they are $70 cheaper. Bueler?
    Also, any love the the Adrenaline Tyrolia contraption? Stack height is high, but it's lighter even in the 16 din and has a sliding afd.
    They both float a little to allow ski flex, right? Anyway, don't really care about that.
    Last edited by stuckathuntermtn; 12-24-2013 at 03:28 PM.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

I mounted my guardians myself with the template from binding freedom (may have mismeasured, but don't think so). Everything seemed to work solid at room temperature but in the cold when the heel mechanism couldn't operate so smoothly, I had some instant-tele from time to time. I diagnosed that the heel-clamping plates are slightly too far to the rear and therefore don't have enough play to guarantee clamping.
    Had them remounted at the shop with a rig, and now they are solid as can be. I have to say I'm realy impressed by the feel of the binding now. Moral of the story is that having these mounted is not a bad idea, considering that most peoples problems (except for the breaking bars) seem related to positioning of the heel hooks...

Does anyone know if the mounting pattern for the 2014/15 MNC Guardian is the same as the first gen Guardians? Picked up some touring boots and would be nice to be able to bring my Guardian mounted skis as back-ups for touring trips.

Yes, the hole patterns are identical. In fact, the entire baseplates are identical except that Salomon updated the pin that attaches the toe to the baseplate. It is now a two piece through bolt, rather than a bolt with a nut pressed into the baseplate.

A Guardian MNC will bolt right onto first-gen Guardian baseplates if you're so inclined (I've done it).

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    Yes, the hole patterns are identical. In fact, the entire baseplates are identical except that Salomon updated the pin that attaches the toe to the baseplate. It is now a two piece through bolt, rather than a bolt with a nut pressed into the baseplate.

A Guardian MNC will bolt right onto first-gen Guardian baseplates if you're so inclined (I've done it).
    Sweet, thanks for the info. Gonna see if I can find some MNC's for a reasonable price ($400 Canadian would be nice) and then sell my 13/14's. Hopefully I can do the swap for $100ish all in.

Is the 14/15 Guardian (16 or 13) compatible with rockered AT boots?

I'm sure this info is present in the thread but it's long, and searching is hard.
    Please spoon feed me pablum.

I'm buying a ski already drilled for large guardians and have an angle on small guardian wtrs.
    How many extra holes if I keep the toe in the same place?
    All 6 heel holes?
    In search of the elusive artic powder weasel ...

Quote Originally Posted by pfluffenmeister View Post
    I'm sure this info is present in the thread but it's long, and searching is hard.
    Please spoon feed me pablum.

I'm buying a ski already drilled for large guardians and have an angle on small guardian wtrs.
    How many extra holes if I keep the toe in the same place?
    All 6 heel holes?
    Yes and the new holes fit between the old holes

Quote Originally Posted by The Dark Side View Post
    Is the 14/15 Guardian (16 or 13) compatible with rockered AT boots?
    Missed this before. Other than the "tech only" boots with non-standard toe/heel ledges like TLT6, yes the new Guardian works with everything. Adjusts nicely to my Maestrale RS.

Didn't see anyone ask this on a quick skim of thread - anyone have REALLY tight / hard springs to get it to release. I'm not a weak person and I have to place both thumbs on the latch and pull down almost as hard as I can to get it to release. I'd estimate that I'm applying 60-80 lbs of force. The tail bends appreciably. I tried with a pole and I sometimes can get it to release. Did the shop screw up the mount? I didn't try it before they were mounted but I've felt others that weren't near as stiff.

^^ You're talking about sliding the back tab to go into touring mode, correct? When you're not clicked into the skis it's a lot harder to release but if you're actually on them it shouldn't be that difficult - it takes some force with a pole but not that much. Maybe do it several times and see if it starts to loosen up a bit?

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    ^^ You're talking about sliding the back tab to go into touring mode, correct? When you're not clicked into the skis it's a lot harder to release but if you're actually on them it shouldn't be that difficult - it takes some force with a pole but not that much. Maybe do it several times and see if it starts to loosen up a bit?
    Yea, it hasn't seemed any easier when in or out of the bindings.