Angry Snowboard Lost at 1st Aid

My husband got hurt on Sat. at Okemo. We were there for my son's race and one of the race brats cut him off as he was getting off the lift. He twisted his ankle badly but luckily nothing is broken.

However, his brand new beautiful wooden arbor board w/ new K2 bindings also "disappeared" from the 1st aid clinic at the base area. My son and I just got it for him as a Christmas present and he was so proud of it.

I'm majorly bummed this morning, and can you believe that this resort has no system in place of tagging or ID'ing equipment of injured skiers/boarders? They just leave it there in a rack for the taking just inside the door. It did not even occur to me to ask about his snowboard, as I was worried about his condition and trying to figure out what to do as my son was still up on the racecourse. I would have gladly locked it up but didn't even see the board after my husband was injured and they didn't even tell me they had dumped it on this un-attended rack by the front door.

Now they are saying they think one of the other patients might have taken the board b/c there was a wood-tone board left behind. I hope they're right. However, who's to say the person will even return for that board? The one my husband lost is far more valuable. I hope if that happened, they have the decency to return it. But the boards are the same size, and it would be very easy & convenient to keep or sell the Arbor...
    I'm still shocked that they don't lock up the equipment, have you sign it in/out, or at least warn you to lock it up yourself/take it away. Has this ever happened to any of you? Of course I'm going to raise holy hell about this but I'm really upset. You'd think they would at least help you keep your gear together when you're injured and you/your family does not have the presence of mind to do so.

Sprite
    "I call it reveling in natures finest element. Water in its pristine form. Straight from the heavens. We bathe in it, rejoicing in the fullest." --BZ

i dont know how many lifts are at okemo, but it might be worth a shot to tell the lifties to keep and eye out for the board.....its a longshot, but one of them may notice somone riding the board in between bong rips...

Sorry to hear about your luck. I have never seen ski patrol lock equipment up during a situation like this. It sounds like they put it on a rack inside a door, and not outside. Hopefully it was just an accidental pick-up and will get returned. I personally have had 2 pair of skis stolen in my lifetime and there is no worse feeling thn returning to the rack and finding you skis/board gone.

I hope tings work out for you guys. Is Mr. Snowsprite OK? How did your sons race go?

Probably the same guy who stole phUnk's bike.
    "I smell varmint puntang."

One of the gayer things I've heard lately.
    Buy nice things here.
    www.motorcityglassworks.com

That sucks, hope it will be returned.

I have never had skis stolen, even when I left 'em sit on a rack in front of the ski school for over a week. I can't believe they were still there when I showed up for work the next week. All the people behind the desk laughed at me when I picked them up.
    I'm in a band. It's called "Just the Tip."

Yeah, when I was a kid I had my Haro Group 1 stolen. They cut the chain and everything. Total empty feeling when you walk out and find your gear gone. I hope you get it back...
    "Have fun, get a flyrod, and give the worm dunkers the finger when you start double hauling." ~Lumpy

Hey Sprite,
    It's a 162 A-Frame right? Did you happen to write down the serial #? Worst case scenario, you should be able to claim it on your homeowners insurance if you did. Post to this group - http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/arborowners/

Hopefully the more places you put the word out the better chance of recovery. I'd also call around to the local shops around Ludlow to let them know and list it with the Sheriffs Dep't. up there too.

Thanks guys, and gravitylover I really appreciate that link. I'm going to give my husband that link!

Sprite
    "I call it reveling in natures finest element. Water in its pristine form. Straight from the heavens. We bathe in it, rejoicing in the fullest." --BZ

sorry to hear it sprite. i'll drag my knuckles in the snow today in memoriam.

What is it with people?

Oooooooh, bad karma riding on stolen gear. May they rupture their rectum!
    More gauze pads, please hurry!

Sorry to hear about that sprite, sounds like it was just a mix up (hopefully). I was actually at Okemo that same day. py day for a race though, so damn hot, musta been pretty slow on the course. I watched a little of it - brought back memories of my OMARA days...hope the little one did well and the Mr. is ok...

Sorry to hear that snowsprite…that’s a nice board.
    Hope Mr SS is ok too.

I would check ebay every few days to see if they try to sell it online.

This is a search I did on “arbor snowboards”

http://search.ebay.com/arbor-snowboa...fkrZ1QQfromZR8
    so many mountains...so little time

www.splitboard.com

Oh, thanks for reminding me! Yeah, I will be checking the ebay. And thank you all for the well wishes. I hope it is just a mix-up. We'll see.

Today I called Okemo upper management and spoke w/ their Assistant. I was very polite and stated my case very calmly. Basically I explained what happened and said that I hope they can come up w/ some kind of simple tagging system or at least provide a means to lock up an injured person's gear until the person is stabilized or a friend/relative can come pick it up.

She seemed very receptive, and kind of surprised actually about what had happened. I'm sure they didn't even realize this is happening to people. Unless people call and tell them, they're not going to know there's a glitch. So anyway hopefully they can at least implement some type of process so it does not happen to another person. She said someone from Administration is going to call me back.

Sprite

As a patroller, I can say that the patient's gear is the last thing on our minds. I'm not saying it's not there at all, but it's low priority. Our concern is with the patient and their well-being.

Our aid room is set-up very much in the same way...rack by the front door. We generally bring the gear in on the sled with the patient and set it off to the side, but it's by no means a "get someone to watch that" type of scenario. A lot of what happens to gear depends on how busy the aid room is. When we're rushing patients in and sleds back out one after another, gear just kinda gets set off to the side.

Personally, I do try to keep taps on gear that I bring in with someone, or at the very least give it to someone with the patient. Sometimes I'll set it in the back with my gear where I know that no one will mess with it. Depends on injury and how busy things are.

In no way am I trying to say that what happened doesn't suck. I know that the patroller was far more concerned about your husband, and that he/she in no way supports the loss of your gear. I'll share your experience with my patrol, if only to remind them that this sort of thing unfortunately happens.

Good vibes sent your way, both for your husband's recovery and the recovery of his gear.
    [This Space For Rent]

Thank you skiingbear, I don't take that negatively at all. I understand what you're saying and it is a lot to expect the patrollers to worry about gear. I just wish Okemo management provided some way to stash or protect the gear, and perhaps just put someone there--maybe a mountain ambassador or a receptionist-type staff person to take on that responsibility. If not on a daily basis definitely on busy weekends or holiday periods at least.

But I agree, I'd rather you guys focus on the medical stuff and not keeping track of injured skier/boarder gear.

I appreciate the well wishes and can I get a w00t for the ski patrol...they helped my husband out when he was hurting, and I think they're awesome!

Sprite

Quote Originally Posted by Raps
    I was actually at Okemo that same day.
    Note to Sprite: Check Raps's garage for missing snowboard.

Sucks, Sprite. But as SkiingBear pointed out, I'm sure the patrol understandably doesn't focus on where skis/boards are. Ski stuff being stolen happens way too often, though. Fortunately all I've ever lost was a crappy pair of poles I'd bought for 5 Canuck bucks (no idea why someone took 'em), but my brother had a pair of skis stolen at the bus stop the day he was moving out of Whistler, and I've skied with people whose gear has been stolen.
    Once some guys on my college ski team actually caught some thieves (I think it was at Maple Valley, RIP).
    Is Mr. Sprite walking around again yet? Make sure he starts moving it around when he can so it doesn't stiffen up too much.
    [quote][//quote]

I think skis would be in order...

Ask the patroll see if they know anything, I can't imagine them just leaving the board there, most patrollers take the ski part of ski patroll very seriously... Good luck
    Its not that I suck at spelling, its that I just don't care

Quote Originally Posted by Raps
    Sorry to hear about that sprite, sounds like it was just a mix up (hopefully). I was actually at Okemo that same day. py day for a race though, so damn hot, musta been pretty slow on the course. I watched a little of it - brought back memories of my OMARA days...hope the little one did well and the Mr. is ok...
    Hey Raps...my son and i were there too that day and got to meet up with Sprite and Token Boarder....although it was in first aid. It was hot...every time we came down near the lodge we were taking more layers of clothes off...was very warm. Hope your day was good
    Snow?

Thumbs up

Hey, I can report a happy ending! (no, not that kind) The board has been found. Yaaaay!!! Evidently, a school teacher picked it up for one of the injured kids. Finally today they realized it's not their board and we were able to get in contact. We're going to meet up w/ the teacher on the way up to Killington Friday night.

Thanks for the well-wishes and advice. I only wish every "missing board (or ski)" story ended like this one.

Sprite
    (I still think Slowkemo should tag the equipment tho)

Sprite, that is awsome, not often does missing equipment show up again! I am happy for this happy ending!

INDY

Talking

Wood, happy endings.........got something in store for Mr. SS?

I am really glad it turned out that way. That board is SOOOO nice, you are a good wife for getting him such a quality set up (and getting it back too )!

Hope he is doing ok!
    "boobs just make the world better really" - Woodsy

Here's to a happy ending!

Now get the Mr. healed up and back on the hill.
    [This Space For Rent]

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Gaper
    Oooooooh, bad karma riding on stolen gear. May they rupture their rectum!
    Yeah, just tell the clinic to give you a call when someone comes in with a ruptured rectum....