Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
    their tech actually mounted them for you? i was told I had to have both brakes functional or they wouldn't mount them.

Quote Originally Posted by SafteySquad
    their tech actually mounted them for you? i was told I had to have both brakes functional or they wouldn't mount them.
    yeah, no problem. it was his suggestion. I think you may have to live north of the 49th to get a shop to do that. in canada when you sign a waiver it actually means you cannot sue someone if you fuck up. kind of refreshing
    Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature... Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. -Helen Keller

Mounting issue

So I got my new vicii mounted yesterday with my p18s, shop did a really good job on the mount, but had a little trouble on the bending. the brakes are eating at my topsheet/sidewall edge as of now(not horribly but a small gash), and dont come very far down. one spring actually popped out and they tried to say the binding was broken and needed warantee, but luckily a look guy came in and he popped it back in. he helped w the brake situation but we ran into trouble

we tried the mentioned technique of putting my boot in, bending them straight out, and then down, but this seemed to just loosen the brake arm from that little black platform, and itd just come out if cranked too hard. one arm is a little loose from this.

Advice: do I
    a) shut up, who cares about your topsheet that much, set din high dont lose a ski, and dont worry.
    b) is there a way to bend these now that they are mounted? is there a reason the brake arm is coming out w/ the boot in?

Ill try to post some pics, but your guys' collective help would be great.

You could try to soften them up with a blow torch and rebend them.

whats the widest waist anyone has bent the P18s to fit? They best be able to fit on the new pontoons, Ill definitley be purchasing whenever K2 releases them.

Quote Originally Posted by couloirman
    whats the widest waist anyone has bent the P18s to fit? They best be able to fit on the new pontoons, Ill definitley be purchasing whenever K2 releases them.
    I believe SkiJunky has bent them to fit over his spatulas.

Quote Originally Posted by vinnay
    So I got my new vicii mounted yesterday with my p18s, shop did a really good job on the mount, but had a little trouble on the bending. the brakes are eating at my topsheet/sidewall edge as of now(not horribly but a small gash), and dont come very far down. one spring actually popped out and they tried to say the binding was broken and needed warantee, but luckily a look guy came in and he popped it back in. he helped w the brake situation but we ran into trouble

we tried the mentioned technique of putting my boot in, bending them straight out, and then down, but this seemed to just loosen the brake arm from that little black platform, and itd just come out if cranked too hard. one arm is a little loose from this.

Advice: do I
    a) shut up, who cares about your topsheet that much, set din high dont lose a ski, and dont worry.
    b) is there a way to bend these now that they are mounted? is there a reason the brake arm is coming out w/ the boot in?

Ill try to post some pics, but your guys' collective help would be great.
    I did this with a pair of FKS...

Grab a friend and get a good pair of plyers, have him clamp with the brake arm to the platform and reverse the torque you are putting on it. So while you bend, he torques the opposite way keeping the arm in the rivets...Putting the boot in supposedly works, but there is a space underneath so there is nothing truly stopping the brake arm from popping out. I did this for a small bend, a good maggot did it the right way when bending to fit a big ski.....

good luck
    Drive slow, homie.

They're on my Spats. Not a lot of brake left, but enough.

What are Pontoons at the waist, 130? Doable, but barely.

An additional photo for those that completely disassembled the heel and forgot how to put it back together. I RULE MS PAINT!!!!

After a good while struggling with my new Slim edition fat brakes and putting my 2 pairs of P18s back together, my hands are rather sore. My conclusions after this round: it's way to hard to get the silver bottom plate back on with the spring in there--even with the half moon thingy out. On someone's sugg. from way earlier in this thread, I put the plate on and strongarmed the spring in with a big flathead. Still pretty tough, glad it's over. I now got two sets of pro bend P18s-105mm and 110mm (thanks, Slim).

I also noticed my newest set of P18s (got 'em new from Look this season), the half moon thingy is made of metal and not plastic. That can only be good.
    ROBOTS ARE EATING MY FACE.

bossass,

you're a pussyass; look at my original post from way back when.
    all's you gotta do to get the spring in is put the screws in temporarily to hold the spring in while you do the rest.

my 5 year old lil girl could do it
    "... she'll never need a doctor; 'cause I check her out all day"

Hey, at least I didn't almost poke my eye out.

Missed that one. I'll have to try next time. I'd tell you to send your daughter over to do it, but then you'd think I was some sort of prevert.
    ROBOTS ARE EATING MY FACE.

Quote Originally Posted by bossass
    On someone's sugg. from way earlier in this thread, I put the plate on and strongarmed the spring in with a big flathead.
    This is the way I do it now.

I used a flathead as well, but tapped the spring in with a hammer. It was very easy....
    Martha's just polishing the brass on the Titanic....

Quote Originally Posted by slim
    Now it gets hard. You need to slide the metal plate back onto the heel. Before doing this make sure it's basically flat and not all torqued out-of-shape from when you removed it. There are four points of contact. One at the back of the binding, two in the middle, and one at the front (the metal tab you bent at the start of the process). All these must be aligned for it to reassemble properly. Take your time doing this. Don't hurt yourself and don't destroy your bindings.
    I found it quite easy to do this when I used a clamp to assist me. Just tighten a little at a time and do adjustment as needed.
    But I'm a bit embarresed to say it was my girlfriend who came up with the idea first, and I thought she had none technical skills whatsoever..

bump'n this legendary thread again for 2 things.

1. what is the speed record time wise start to finish for 1 binder following the rules/technique of this thread. curious - i can do 1 binder start to finish in approx. 1/2 hour; maybe faster if had too.

2. did a pair last night and forgot to post pics of "my" method for getting spring and bottom plate back on. i got another pair to do and will try and post pics soon.

btw, hardest/most time consuming thing for me is getting the binder (pre-bottom plate) all back together. damn near like a puzzle.
    "... she'll never need a doctor; 'cause I check her out all day"

Quote Originally Posted by Xover

1. what is the speed record time wise start to finish for 1 binder following the rules/technique of this thread. curious - i can do 1 binder start to finish in approx. 1/2 hour; maybe faster if had too.
    Haste makes waste Xover. Take your time, bend slow to avoid breakage, and focus on quality work.

that was quite the process and frankly you did a lot more than necessary as for as taking the binding apart! remove the half circle piece remove the brake and spring bend the brake exactly as you did the only tricky part is putting the damn spring back in once you have done it you get the trick and its simple! but kudos to you taking my binding apart would make me a little nervous

can we make this a sticky? aswome how-to
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Thumbs up

Bump, must be a sticky!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!
    Always charging it in honor of Flyin' Ryan Hawks.

After I put the binding back together the semi-circle piece raises up as a result of the brake pushing it up, despite it being screwed in. I looked at the other heel-piece that I have not taken apart and the semi-circle doesn't raise up as much... is the semi-circle piece supposed to be flush with the binding, or is it doing this as a result of the binding not being mounted.... bah, if that doesn't make sense, I can post pictures.

Anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by psychkub View Post
    After I put the binding back together the semi-circle piece raises up as a result of the brake pushing it up, despite it being screwed in. I looked at the other heel-piece that I have not taken apart and the semi-circle doesn't raise up as much... is the semi-circle piece supposed to be flush with the binding, or is it doing this as a result of the binding not being mounted.... bah, if that doesn't make sense, I can post pictures.

Anyone?
    Post some pictures.

The semi-circle piece is supposed to be flush. Are you certain you assmbled it correctly? If you did, it may be because the metal plate on the bottom of the binding is slightly bent. If this is the case, all of this gets flushed out when the binding gets mounted.

Quote Originally Posted by slim View Post
    Post some pictures.

The semi-circle piece is supposed to be flush. Are you certain you assmbled it correctly? If you did, it may be because the metal plate on the bottom of the binding is slightly bent. If this is the case, all of this gets flushed out when the binding gets mounted.
    Actually, in looking at the second binding, it looks like the semi-circle part snaps in. The bindings I got are used, so I don't know if in the midst of taking it apart or if it was given to me that way, but one of the little clips was snapped off. I don't think it will be too much of a problem once it's mounted... at least, I hope not. I'll post pics after I get the brakes bent tomorrow morning.

Bump. Put a sticky on this.
    Thanks Shane

Did this today. Couple of hints for stupid people like me:

Some one said bend it slow, it means bend it REALLY slow luckily I was able to weld it back together...

When you're putting things back together, it really helps to have friend helping. If I would have been trying to do this alone, I would probably just lost my nerves without any results.

Spring is really easy to put in after you have put together everything else, except halfcircle part. As someone said before, just use big flathead and hammer. I put the binding "standing" in vise, then my brother kept the sping on right place with tongs. Then I just put the flathead on spring and hit it in corret place. It didn't took a lot force, just a little hit.

Thanks for great advices, result was really good, except that one welded arm