Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra
    Bumping classic thread...

I tried this on some Look TTC bindings from mntlion, and managed to crack the brake arm right off -- must be more brittle than the P18s.

Any updates on whether Look/Rossi is producing wide brakes for the race bindings? I'm either gonna need replacement brakes (and try again), or find someone to cut-n-weld the brake arms, or get real creative with some Salomon brakes and try to make them fit.

-Karl

I just mailed two pairs of P 18s for me & my brother to slim, he'll do the work for you. I gave him money to cover shipping, plus money for two cases of beer (a case per set of bindings), I did not have the tools to do it myself, and would rather have somebody who know what to do.

Slim is the fuckin' Man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!
    Last edited by Altaholic; 10-11-2005 at 11:31 PM.
    Always charging it in honor of Flyin' Ryan Hawks.

Bumping a classic, cuz I have to do some brakes for Particle tonight, cuz evidently he got some fat ugly blue skis that need brakes
    "I dont hike.... my legs are too heavy"

Wow that was fun watching Prof get his knuckles all bloody on my bindings!

We actually broke one brake arm...anyone got a spare???

Quote Originally Posted by Particle
    Wow that was fun watching Prof get his knuckles all bloody on my bindings!

We actually broke one brake arm...anyone got a spare???
    Contact Dynastar directly. They'll sell you a pair of heel baseplates at a reasonable price.

Bend slow.

Quote Originally Posted by slim
    Bend slow.
    I think the problem was that we got the straightening of the brake down pretty good and we ended up doing that part too fast, cuz it actually broke in the vise I do want to say for the record that my knuckles are not bloody, but my hands are kind of sore. Also just a note on the whole process, REMEMBER the spring butts up against one of the tabs on the metal plate. If you do not do this the spring will continue to pop out between the brake arms and you have to start ALL PHUCKING OVER
    "I dont hike.... my legs are too heavy"

Quote Originally Posted by Professor
    I think the problem was that we got the straightening of the brake down pretty good and we ended up doing that part too fast, cuz it actually broke in the vise I do want to say for the record that my knuckles are not bloody, but my hands are kind of sore. Also just a note on the whole process, REMEMBER the spring butts up against one of the tabs on the metal plate. If you do not do this the spring will continue to pop out between the brake arms and you have to start ALL PHUCKING OVER
    Ive been putting off doing this myself in fear of it turning fubar on me. would light heating with a plumbers torch help any for bending?
    Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature... Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. -Helen Keller

Quote Originally Posted by powder11
    Ive been putting off doing this myself in fear of it turning fubar on me. would light heating with a plumbers torch help any for bending?
    I bent and re-bent mine a bunch of times before I got acceptable angles. Just bend slow and they shouldn't break.
    Martha's just polishing the brass on the Titanic....

4 pages back, Jeez.

BuMp.
    ROBOTS ARE EATING MY FACE.

I was able to stretch with a less technical method. I mounted the binders, placed a boot in ski position, locked. then bent straight out, then vise grip or small vise/clamp about an inch out. then bend down. No heat or spring messing. I am sure the lengther method works and if you have patience with the spring. I wont lie either it took me 3 attempts, I busted 2 springs because it wasnt totally in the ski position.
    Switch powder skiing, while mostly useless, may be the missing link between skiing and snowboarding

props to whoever took the time to do this.
    Switch powder skiing, while mostly useless, may be the missing link between skiing and snowboarding

and I hope you make at least $11 an hour.

Has anybody had a problem with the brakes not matching up when the skis are together? I'm just wondering if bending the brakes is going to make it so the skis won't stay locked together by the brakes. It's not that big of a deal since I have to bend them for the extra room, but any suggestions on how to make them stay locked would be nice. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SafteySquad
    Has anybody had a problem with the brakes not matching up when the skis are together? I'm just wondering if bending the brakes is going to make it so the skis won't stay locked together by the brakes. It's not that big of a deal since I have to bend them for the extra room, but any suggestions on how to make them stay locked would be nice. Thanks
    Measure twice, bend once. If you bend them to the proper width they will lock up just fine.

Arrow

Just did a pair. Thanks! My method for the spring plate procedure. Put the spring in position without the plate on. It'll rest in there nearly in position. Put the plate on, it'll rest slightly off the base because of the spring. Lightly sandwich everything together in a vise. Use two small nails or something to go through the back mounting screw holes and lever the plate back and under the tabs. All of this should be easy, and you don't need to use hardly any force at all. I couldn't get the spring in any other way.

I'm having trouble getting the metal plate off the bottom of the bindings. I don't really know how much to bend the front of the plate up so I can clear the tab when sliding the plate off. Also I don't know how much is too much when pushing from the back. I don't want to break the plastic tabs slim was talking about, but I tried sliding the screwdriver under the back of the plate and it didn't do anything except make me nervous. I really don't want to fuck up these bindings since they are so expensive. Any more suggestions would be great.

This thread belongs in the hall of fame.
    Thrutchworthy Production Services

Lightbulb

Safety Squad you really don't have to bend it up too far, maybe just so you can see a gap of a 1/16 of an inch or so. You're just sliding the plate straight down to get it to clear the tabs. It should come off and go on relatively easily. If you bend the front too much it's not a biggie. You'll just have to straighten it out later which is easy.

Thanks Shepherd, that is exactly what Slim told me too. I don't know how you guys figure this stuff out, but I'd be screwed without you guys.

awesome thread, i have been bending the P/FK series brakes for team riders for about ten years and have always done with the binding set at 16 or 17 already mounted on the ski with a boot in it
    i will try this the next time and see what works better
    be aware as mentioned elsewhere that the little sping under the treadle will leave the binding at great velocity if you try to bend the brakes unsupported(there is a one eyed world cup tech from europe because of this)...

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by waxman
    awesome thread, i have been bending the P/FK series brakes for team riders for about ten years and have always done with the binding set at 16 or 17 already mounted on the ski with a boot in it
    I've got two pairs of P18's that need bending and I was wondering if this technique would work. One pair is mounted on a pair of trashed park skis, so I can leave em on there for leverage, then transfer the newly bent bindings/brakes to the shiny new skis.

I'll probably mount the other pair of bindings into the same holes on those park skis and repeat.

This thread rules.
    vapor lock - bitch.

Quote Originally Posted by waxman
    (there is a one eyed world cup tech from europe because of this)...
    This proves my theory that pirates only ski on high din bindings.

Does anybody in the Boulder/Denver area want to help me bend my brakes on my Rossi FKS 185. I have the bindings apart, I just don't have a vice and I don't really know what I'm doing when it comes to bending metal.

Just remember: Saftey frist!

I need an extra set of brakes. I snapped one leg off one brake when I was bending and now I'm looking for an extra brake. So any mags that have one or a set of turntable brake(s) and want to sell them, please send me a message. This is turning into a huge mess for me, and any help would be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by SafteySquad
    I need an extra set of brakes. I snapped one leg off one brake when I was bending and now I'm looking for an extra brake. So any mags that have one or a set of turntable brake(s) and want to sell them, please send me a message. This is turning into a huge mess for me, and any help would be appreciated.
    I had the same breakage problem and brought them into a local shop. the shop tech flat out said mount em sans brakes. I did and Ive noticed theres a few skiers out there with similar set-ups. I set the DIN at 15 and have not had any issues. wondering if a leash is a good idea or not. Id hate to get whacked in the head.
    Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature... Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. -Helen Keller