Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Lok
    I just picked up a pair of used P18s and the previous owner has cut off the brakes. Does Rossignol/Look carry those brakes as spare parts? I mean since it is such an integral part of the heelpiece, they might not consider it removable?

I've already tried the local shop without any luck...
    Same thing happened to me. I contacted Andrè Pracek at Sport Sensations +47 22 30 02 08(Norwegian Dyna/Lange/Look rep.) and he hooked me up with a set of new ones. I actually got the entire rear part of the bindings sans the "bottleneck", ie the turntable plate with brakes. The downside is that they have to order it from Dynastar in France, and you`ll probably have to wait for their next shipment before you get them. Oh, and they set me back around 3-400 kroner.
    Last edited by jk; 05-04-2005 at 06:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jk
    Same thing happened to me. I contacted Andrè Pracek at Sport Sensations +47 22 30 02 08(Norwegian Dyna/Lange/Look rep.) and he hooked me up with a set of new ones. I actually got a the entire rear part of the binding sans the "bottleneck", ie the turntable plate with brakes. The downside is that they have to order it from Dynastar in France, and you`ll probably have to wait for their next shipment before you get them. Oh, and they set me back around 3-400 kroner.
    Thanks! I'll give them a call.

edit: a bit pricey maybe..? Guess I won't be stocking up...
    Last edited by Lok; 05-04-2005 at 03:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lok

edit: a bit pricey maybe..? Guess I won't be stocking up...
    I know. Haven`t seen the final bill. Got them sent to a shop where I used to work, and the manager was supposed to tell me when the bill came so I could drop by to pay it. Never heard from him, so the 3-400 estimate is the one Andrè gave me on the phone. At first I was told that I had to buy new entire heelpieces to get new brakes, which would be around 800 nok. a piece. Luckily they sorted it out and was able to get me just the plates/brakes.

It's a Norwedgian tech talk hijack!

Best way to get new brakes is to swipe em off an older pair of look/rossi turntables. Those bindings came in a 10 Din version for ever, try to find an older pair on some crappy skis on CL or Ebay and you're money.
    ROBOTS ARE EATING MY FACE.

Quote Originally Posted by bossass
    Best way to get new brakes is to swipe em off an older pair of look/rossi turntables. Those bindings came in a 10 Din version for ever, try to find an older pair on some crappy skis on CL or Ebay and you're money.
    This is what I did.

been hearing of some people experiencing heels on P18's pulling out of skis due to the narrow screw patterns, but those seem to be on non wood core skis

anybody here experience this? I'm assuming it's very rare because everyone seems to be using them still

before I get mine mounted I wanted to make sure people weren't bastardizing shorter race plates or whatnot to eliminate this risk

Quote Originally Posted by iceman
    It's a Norwedgian tech talk hijack!
    Yeah, sorry about that. Should have started my post by giving kudos for the most excellent Tech Talk post ever. [/norwedgianhighjack]

Quote Originally Posted by SquawMan
    been hearing of some people experiencing heels on P18's pulling out of skis due to the narrow screw patterns, but those seem to be on non wood core skis

anybody here experience this? I'm assuming it's very rare because everyone seems to be using them still

before I get mine mounted I wanted to make sure people weren't bastardizing shorter race plates or whatnot to eliminate this risk
    [norskihijack] You mean like this?:

Actually no, this is the first I`ve seen of it, and the guys fall pretty much warranted it, going mach looney towards a 5m cliff then hooking a ski causing an involuntary(sp?) cork 7-something to big yardsale.
    My Zr 18s have folllowed me trough 3 pairs of skis, and I have another pair of P15s, never had any problems. All of the skis have had woodcores though, I figure as long as you have that youre fine. What skis are you mounting them on?[/norskihijack]

[Whiney Stoner Voice] Awwwwww Maaaannnnnnnn!!!!! These bindings are like totally cramping my steeeeezzzzze, yo.[/WSV]

I've heard of this problem. 4FRNT was dealing with this alot. I don't know if it's really fixable. I think if you are big dude and you are huckin' and landing backwards, these might not be the bindings for you, because the hole pattern is so tight. Can't say I'm surprised they pulled out of that ski (Atomic Daddy). Just don't suck and fall all over the place and you'll be fine.

bossass, from that picture it appears he cracked his skis right where the mount was so it could be chicken and egg (which came first, the ski crack or the pullout?) but your description makes it sound hard to replicate and a one-off type event

there are enough people riding P18's here that I thought I'd ask and see if other heavier riders (>200 lbs) had experienced any kinds of problems with heel pull-outs

one other way to strengthen the heel mount may be to use epoxy instead of the simple glues most use

this epoxy test is pretty interesting:

http://www.wildsnow.com/backcountry-...011-epoxy.html

Quote Originally Posted by SquawMan
    bossass, from that picture it appears he cracked his skis right where the mount was so it could be chicken and egg (which came first, the ski crack or the pullout?) but your description makes it sound hard to replicate and a one-off type event

there are enough people riding P18's here that I thought I'd ask and see if other heavier riders (>200 lbs) had experienced any kinds of problems with heel pull-outs

one other way to strengthen the heel mount may be to use epoxy instead of the simple glues most use

this epoxy test is pretty interesting:

http://www.wildsnow.com/backcountry-...011-epoxy.html
    Ah yes, you have passed my test young one. Actually, I didn't see that, but now that you mention it, yes that's a good possibility. Nonetheless, I have heard of this problem. It's not to the point where I wouldn't use these bindings, and I'm a pretty big guy, but the probability off pulling out screw is probably slightly higher than a larger screw pattern. But, with that said, the jibbers have been loving these bindings for years (Tanner, Pep, Sage, Crichton, Phunk).

Quote Originally Posted by bossass
    I'll keep an eye out for those! Thanks!

bossass, I'm looking for a pair of S916's (pref in black) to go on next year's fatties

if you run across any Sally reps during your bindings tests, pls let me know

You can buy the baseplates from Look in the US for $35.00 for a pair. Worked well for me.
    Perfer et obdura, hic dolor olim utior tibi. -Ovid

Quote Originally Posted by Laps
    You can buy the baseplates from Look in the US for $35.00 for a pair. Worked well for me.

can you elaborate a little more? do those plates affect the flex of the ski, etc? are they short plates made for the race bindings?

any links to what they look like/where they can be found? THX

They are just the base of the heel piece, i.e., brakes, turntable, and no spring housing.
    Perfer et obdura, hic dolor olim utior tibi. -Ovid

Thumbs up

/\/\/\/\ Bump
    since I got a pair of P18s from wildernest sports in teton village for $200, and I'll need to use this legendary thread
    Always charging it in honor of Flyin' Ryan Hawks.

Quote Originally Posted by Wild4umlauts

Damn, that is a little better ($185), but I'm not going to complain over over $15 though for a kick ass binder
    Always charging it in honor of Flyin' Ryan Hawks.

Question

hmmm... P18s and Big Daddys a bad idea? Some comment up there got me thinking...opinions?

Question

Question: I want to do this procedure on a pair of bindings that are already mounted. Do I need to be concerned about taking the bindings off and remounting them in the same holes?
    You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig.

Bumping classic thread...

I tried this on some Look TTC bindings from mntlion, and managed to crack the brake arm right off -- must be more brittle than the P18s.

Any updates on whether Look/Rossi is producing wide brakes for the race bindings? I'm either gonna need replacement brakes (and try again), or find someone to cut-n-weld the brake arms, or get real creative with some Salomon brakes and try to make them fit.

-Karl
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra
    Bumping classic thread...

I tried this on some Look TTC bindings from mntlion, and managed to crack the brake arm right off -- must be more brittle than the P18s.

Any updates on whether Look/Rossi is producing wide brakes for the race bindings? I'm either gonna need replacement brakes (and try again), or find someone to cut-n-weld the brake arms, or get real creative with some Salomon brakes and try to make them fit.

-Karl
    Try again. I bent the brakes on an older pair than you have with no probs...Great thread BTW. The advice about popping the spring back in after the binding is back together saved me a lot of time....
    Martha's just polishing the brass on the Titanic....

Got a pair of look mr18's Im mounting to LP's. I had a bit of a panic realizing the brakes don't come off easily. sooo stoked I found this thread, thanks Slim!
    Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature... Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. -Helen Keller