Check Out Our Shop
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    My 4-wheeling interest was trails and rocks, not mud or sand. I specifically wanted the LWB TJ; the SWB ones just don't have enough storage space in the back for camping trips, and I'm not a fan of the roof rack/ rear cargo rack/ stuff hanging off everywhere. I want it all inside.

The main other 4wheeling Jeep I owned was an XJ Cherokee, which had about a 101" wheelbase, and was great offroad. The LWB TJ had about a 104" wheelbase, and I really wanted that instead of the ~94" wheelbase of the SWB version. Climbing up or descending steep trails is a lot more stable with some extra wheelbase, and I never felt like it was a hindrance.

I built my LWB TJ to be as low as possible, but fit 33" tires. I used Old Man Emu HD front coils, LJ rear coils, Bilstein 5100 shocks, a 1" body lift, 1" motor mount lift, and a flat belly pan skid/crossmember (~1-1.5" drop below the frame rails), with 285/75 tires on the stock 16" Rubicon wheels. Worked great.
    Ooh that's nice. I spent most of my time in mine crawling up old washed out, overgrown logging and mining roads rather than getting deep in mud or going over boulders and your TJ sounds about ideal for that. How was the turning radius on the LWB version? I was always impressed with it on the SWB version and it saved me a lot of backing up more than a few times when a trail would just kind of peter out.

I'd love to get another jeep someday when I'm back where it's worth having one and I can afford a car that I don't drive every where. Which is pretty much the story of my dad how I ended up with one to play with. He had a CJ7 which was pretty great, but when my second brother was born, he had to sell it and get something that could hold 5 people. When we needed something to teach the kids how to drive on, we got a Wrangler and all had a blast running it nearly into the ground.

Turning radius was still plenty tight on the LJ. I suppose that the SWB version might be preferable in really tight trails (old logging roads in tight forest), but I was mostly in open space (desert rocks, or high desert/ Sierra mountains), so it was fine for me.

I just kind of got out of 4wheeling as a hobby, as it took away time from hiking/ biking/ skiing. As a street vehicle, all TJ/CJ/etc. Jeeps are fairly awful: poor handling, poor mpg, minimal passenger and storage space, noisy, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

My wife had a new 87 Wrangler soft top when I met her in Aspen. Our first date was driving over Pearl Pass to Crested Butte. I loved that thing.

When we moved to the city, I hated it. Jeeps are great, but I wouldn't want one for a daily driver, unless I lived in a mountain town.

Quote Originally Posted by warthog View Post
    edit- And fer chrissake, wave when another Jeep owner waves. I just stopped waving to anyone driving a newer Jeep. They don't even know what's up. Sad.
    This reminds me of one of the great regrets in my life. I was driving down the road one summer day next to the center lane. Another CJ comes rolling down the road in the opposite direction. We're both sans top and doors. The driver of the other rig threw his hand out and I just waved back. Seconds later, I realized he was trying to give me a high five; but alas, I was too late. I mean, we probably would have ripped each others arms off, but still...it would have been fun.
    "I knew in an instant that the three dollars I had spent on wine would not go to waste."

Fuck that's pretty funny, that would've been sweet. But yeah you probably would've really hurt each other I think.

Ha. Sweet. I even wave to FJ's and old Broncos and Scout II's, but not newer Jeeps.

Another +1 for the 4.0 6 cyl. I have that engine in a 98 Cherokee and it has been great. I say go for it, but remember, when it comes to toys, JEEP stands for Just Empty Every Pocket.

Quote Originally Posted by Arty50 View Post
    This reminds me of one of the great regrets in my life. I was driving down the road one summer day next to the center lane. Another CJ comes rolling down the road in the opposite direction. We're both sans top and doors. The driver of the other rig threw his hand out and I just waved back. Seconds later, I realized he was trying to give me a high five; but alas, I was too late. I mean, we probably would have ripped each others arms off, but still...it would have been fun.
    I do that surfing with friends. Half the time they are too lame to reach out for the Hi Five as they don't want to risk dinging a board. Lame.

OK, you've got me back on the craigslist hunt. http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/cto/3028917117.html

This is basically what I'm looking for in that it's cheap, has no top and is bare bones. Again, I want a beach vehicle and it will rarely leave a 20 mile radius. Never rains in SD so I'm not worried about leaving it outside uncovered. Good, bad? Seems most of what I see are 4 bangers.

I love my Jeep. The perfect early and late season ski vehicle. You can fit 33" tires with very minimal changes. The larger tires give you a better chance of not getting stuck when breaking trail through snow drifts in the spring. Mine is also anything but stock at this point, everything below the frame has been replaced. There are so many parts available for Jeeps you can build them on a budget. I have less then $8000 in mine and that includes buying the Jeep.

Do not rule out older Jeeps. The 4.0 runs forever and is very easy to work on. I personally would stick with a 91 or newer, anything older is not fuel injected. If you are going to be on trails and might find yourself on steep climbs or descents carburetors can be a problem.

My Jeep spends almost as much time in the snow as it does on dirt and rocks.

Nice ride Cross. Is that a Durabak exterior?

Birdrock- that looks good, if you are into the square headlights.
    I am looking for a yj bar like that for my CJ-
    They make a really nice cab cover for that style roll bar. Packs down about the size of a small pillow, and you can throw it on in a couple minutes. Can't drive with it on, but it keeps everything nice and dry. Has door flaps too.
    I have one for my cj, but the roll bar isn't quite the same, so it is a bit rigged. It has saved me from a drenched vehicle many times. Of course, it only rains for about 20 min here usually. If it rains all day, the jeep stays in the garage.

You can get a nice fuel injection kit for the old cj's too. They aren't terribly expensive for what you get. I just like my 4 bbl, and the smell of gas it creates.

What's up with the square headlights, just the way they look?

Nice ride Cross. Is that a Durabak exterior?
    It is the fiberglass Renegade package, with some creative trimming. Downbound train posted a picture of how the Renegade looked stock.

The square headlights are what the YJ series of Jeeps came with. I believe Jeep switched to the square headlights because they were more readily available. Die hard Jeep people did not approve of the headlights so when the TJs came out Jeep went back to the round headlights.

2nd the 40.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    What's up with the square headlights, just the way they look?
    Square headlights were the greatest blasphemy in the history of the world...until they released that 4 door shit.
    "I knew in an instant that the three dollars I had spent on wine would not go to waste."

Quote Originally Posted by Cross View Post
    It is the fiberglass Renegade package, with some creative trimming. Downbound train posted a picture of how the Renegade looked stock.

The square headlights are what the YJ series of Jeeps came with. I believe Jeep switched to the square headlights because they were more readily available. Die hard Jeep people did not approve of the headlights so when the TJs came out Jeep went back to the round headlights.

Good god, I didn't know that's what they did to the Renegade back then. You made it look much better.
    Rims and Tires? Look like American Racing with some kind of Swamper. I like the look of the skinnier tire.
    What are those rims, 15x8?

Oh, and OP, THIS is how we talk you into one.

Quote Originally Posted by Arty50 View Post
    Square headlights were the greatest blasphemy in the history of the world...until they released that 4 door shit.
    Those 4 door things are good for one thing:

I dunno, that's cool but I still think this looks cooler...

Same tow capacity still. 3500 lbs.

I am pretty sure the 4 door double cab brute will get at least a 5,000 lb tow rating, which will make it sell really well.

Oh, and the square headlights were basically the Mustang II of Jeep years. If that makes any sense.
    Might be a bad example, there were lots of bad years for the Mustang, only one really dark period for the Jeep.
    Of course, there is the Patriot and the Liberty.

I had a '92 XJ Sport for years. Had a 4.5" lift and 32" BFG MTs. Absolutely loved that thing. The 4.0 is unbeatable. One of these days I'll get a YJ or TJ just for fun... Do it
    Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Powder

Apparently I have a lot to learn. 20+ years of seeing Jeeps on the road and thinking they are cool and I've never once notice the headlights being round or square. Who knew this was important?!?!

Knowing is half the battle.

A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

Quote Originally Posted by wooley12 View Post

My 52' Willy's. Some of you have seen it. Had to post when I saw that 51'.

Oh, and the square headlights were basically the Mustang II of Jeep years. If that makes any sense.
    Might be a bad example, there were lots of bad years for the Mustang, only one really dark period for the Jeep.
    Of course, there is the Patriot and the Liberty.
    One word: Compass

I even wave to FJ's and old Broncos and Scout II's, but not newer Jeeps.
    YES! we wave at everyone here in montana, but old nice old 4x4's especially. A buddy has an 83 CJ-7 that is completely overbuilt and a ton of fun. oh and warthog- your CJ reminds me of Sam(forget his last name) whose CJ was in LOTS of old petersons 4wheel and offroad mags
    I do love my bronco though