Check Out Our Shop
Page 400 of 402 FirstFirst ... 395 396 397 398 399 400 401 402 LastLast
Results 9,976 to 10,000 of 10029
    Quote Originally Posted by nutmegchoi View Post
    I still haven’t played California, Nevada and Arizona yet.
    And safe to say I’ll never get to play Augusta National nor Pine Valley.
    Not with that attitude!

I met the man behind “A Course Called…” today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I played the oldest course west of the Mississippi.
    Closest I've ever been to a hole in 1. 95 yards, PW

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20231007_172936.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	3.16 MB 
ID:	473374
    Gearhart golf links

Did you make the putt?
    Seeker of Truth. Dispenser of Wisdom. Protector of the Weak. Avenger of Evil.

Fore! Who's playing golf, yo-

Quote Originally Posted by k2skier112 View Post
    I played the oldest course west of the Mississippi.
    Closest I've ever been to a hole in 1. 95 yards, PW

Name:	20231007_172936.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	3.16 MB 
ID:	473374
    Gearhart golf links
    I grew up in Gearhart. Back when there used to be families who lived there, it’s all super rich pdx and Seattle second homes now, know by first name the hand full of local families who still live there. When I was a kid I had an unlimited pass to the course that cost $200. Back then there where shore pines between all of the holes, and it was brutal. The removal of most the trees and return to its original links course construction has been amazing, but the price has skyrocketed. The price increase is mainly due to demand. After the remodel the original money came upon hard times and Tim Boyle (of Columbia sports ware) bought the course. I’ve met him a few times as his kid used to come down and party with us when we’d hold big bonfires on the estuary separating Gearhart and Seaside. The family owns the house to left of the beach access (pretty modest home for a billionaire). They’re a great family and my friend who works as a greenskeeper there says Tim only keeps the price high to keep the pace of play decent. It’s a short course when the wind isn’t cranking, but those short holes can seem like 500yrd par 4s when the wind is cranking. There’s also a centuries old walking trail in Gearhart (the ridge path) that is an old Clatsop Indian trail and is still the main walking path through Gearhart and was almost certainly traveled by the Lewis and Clark corp of discovery.

Hope you enjoyed the course, it’s a really special place and when I move back to the coast once my legs are cooked from to many 150+ ski days a year I’ll be playing there every day.

I’m assuming that was #15 the downhill par 3 on the back 9?

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Cisco Kid View Post
    Did you make the putt?
    Ha! Yes, and with my putter head cover on

Winds were blowing 18, gusting to 25. It was brutal watching the ball fall out of the air 2-3 clubs short.

Name:	20231007_145047.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	2.30 MB 
ID:	473417

Name:	20231007_145054.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	2.29 MB 
ID:	473418

Name:	20231007_145119.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	1.95 MB 
ID:	473419

Name:	20231007_145130.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	2.01 MB 
ID:	473420

Name:	20231007_160517.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	1.79 MB 
ID:	473423

Name:	20231007_160502.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	2.39 MB 
ID:	473421

Name:	20231007_160512.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	1.18 MB 
ID:	473422

Nice looking track. I enjoy playing with the wind.

Nice looking track. I enjoy playing with the wind.

Briefly thought I could break 80 then I fall apart.

Beginning to think more about the mental expect of the game.
    I need to believe in myself that I can link pars, capable of hitting quality shots and deserve low scores.
    Instead of surprise myself when I hit good shots or get nervous when I have more than few pars in a row.
    I play so much better when I’m confident.

I need to believe in myself that I can link pars, capable of hitting quality shots and deserve low scores.
    Instead of surprise myself when I hit good shots or get nervous when I have more than few pars in a row.
    It’s amazing what the right mindset can do. I’m in the habit of only surprising myself instead of assuming solid outcome as well but have been much more purposeful lately. My local club is 5 minutes down the road and I sneak out for 4-5 holes whenever the timing works. I used to just fly around the thing haphazardly hoping for a few nice balls.

This summer, I took my time on each shot, spent a moment actually visualizing and definitely better calculating where the good miss was and focusing on only one swing thought (for me it is tempo). I felt like a different golfer. It took taking my daughter out to snap me into being that kind of player. You can’t teach someone and not take your own advice.

Played a quick 9 two days ago and was 4 up after 6, feeling not my best. I compartmentalized each shot thereafter and strung 3 birdies together. Standing over each putt, I put the last hole out of my mind as my lizard brain kicks in with “holy shit, no way you can make another putt like that twice/thrice in a row.”

I’m not certain my swing is any better, but my mind is and that alone is shaving a ton of strokes.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

As someone that picked up the game late in life, the mental part is THE most frustrating part of golf. It's hard to turn on and off the focus needed for each shot over 4 hours.

I always wanted to fish Sprain Lake, but dodging 6 lanes of the SBPY and having the Weschester County cops hassle you was a lot to overcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopeless Sinner View Post
    I always wanted to fish Sprain Lake, but dodging 6 lanes of the SBPY and having the Weschester County cops hassle you was a lot to overcome.
    If you really want it, I can help you to make it happen.

Raw skill wise I figure I am about a 4.

But mentally I'm about a 25.

Was playing the combos at my club (8 tees from the tips, 10 from one-ups) and was even through the front last week. Started thinking I had a career round going (lowest ever is 75) and ended up shooting 46 on the back. 36-46...FFS.

It's been a really nice fall here...too bad about the severe winter storm bearing down on us.

If you really want it, I can help you to make it happen.

Thanks, maybe next spring when the lg mouth bass are spawning!!! We could prob get in a round at my old place.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopeless Sinner View Post
    Thanks, maybe next spring when the lg mouth bass are spawning!!! We could prob get in a round at my old place.
    Sounds like a plan!

I actually forgot I had it, but the book: Golf is not a game of perfect by Dr Bob Rotella came highly recommended, and I am not sure why I did not complete it. With the trip coming up in T-minus 18 days, it's back out and will be finished shortly!

Yeah, like others said Rotella’s book is worth reading.

Develop a consistent preshot routine and stick with it, every time, even while practicing. Don’t just stand there and rake balls. Martin Chuck has some good videos on the importance of the preshot routine.

Chip and putt first. Do it BEFORE hitting balls when you practice or warm up so you don’t get tired and blow it off.

Short game, short game, short game. You need to practice your short game a lot more than your full swing at this point. Chip, pitch, putt, distance wedges, bunker shots. Study and practice the hell out of them. Dave Pelz Short Game Bible is a good place to start. Todd Sones is also good (stand to the handle).

Congratulations, you are making great strides with your game! 86 is good!

Scoring consistently is so much more about your bad shots than your good shots. What I tell friends who struggle to break 90 consistently is to think this way: off the tee, just get it out there in play. Next shot, get it somewhere around the green. If you’ve short-sided yourself on your chip, take your medicine and make sure you get on the dance floor instead of getting cute. And then of course practice your putting so you can 2 putt most of the time and occasionally knock one in.

Course management is highly underrated.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Hard to imagine you don’t have the ability to be confident- we’ve all watched your progress here and it’s inspiring. Don’t ever be surprised by good shots. You have to expect nothing but excellence. Yeah , we all know what happens during the course of a round - highs and lows but it’s how you manage those occurrences that matters! Expect good things!!!

Some days you keep score , some days you just walk around and take it all in. Had two glorious days of the latter last week. Hope you enjoy the pics.

Pine Valley

Name:	IMG_0222.JPG 
Views:	84 
Size:	928.1 KB 
ID:	475394Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0227.JPG 
Size:	834.3 KB 
ID:	475395Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0228.JPG 
Views:	77 
Size:	752.0 KB 
ID:	475396Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0234.JPG 
Views:	85 
Size:	1.36 MB 
ID:	475397Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0245.JPG 
Views:	91 
Size:	183.3 KB 
ID:	475398Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0250.JPG 
Size:	166.5 KB 
ID:	475399

I played 9 Monday and hit the ball like crap. Two fairways hit. 4 gir. Shot 38 +2. No big mistakes.

Quote Originally Posted by Aldo View Post
    Had two glorious days of the latter last week. Hope you enjoy the pics.

Pine Valley
    Ddddddddddddddaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaammmmmmmmnnnnnnnnnnn nnnnnnnnnn.

Hahaha! They let a maggot play Pine Valley!? Someone is bound to get fired.

36 yesterday. 9 pars. If I can keep control of the cut driver I’ve been working on next year will be good.

Finally figured out that the club face on everything was slightly closed. Helped a lot too.

Gimmie 9 a side and I'd kick your ass. When I can get get my back yard range swing to work on the course. And my problem is 90% mental, 10% A-G-E. My short game is the only thing keeping me under 90.