Check Out Our Shop
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

New Enduro Mountain Bike Race - Aspen/Snowmass

MASTER OF THE MASS, A NEW MOUNTAIN BIKING EVENT IN SNOWMASS, SET FOR JULY 13-15, 2012
    Four Stages over Three Days To Challenge Pro and Amateur Men and Women Racers

Aspen/Snowmass, Colo., – April 11, 2012 – Master of the Mass, a new a four-stage, three-day mountain biking race in Snowmass is set for July 13-15, 2012. This Enduro Mountain Bike Race includes a variety of terrain including a chainless downhill, cross-country, downhill and super-downhill stages. The ultimate challenge – all racers must choose one bike to race on for all disciplines. Parties and events will surround the weekend of mountain biking in one of the most beautiful settings in the Rockies.

Snowmass Village is one of the only places in Colorado with a trail system that has over 4,000 vertical feet of continuous, descending terrain from the top of a chairlift. Unlike any other race, riders will tackle more than 8,000 vertical feet of descending terrain in the four-stage race.

Final results will be based on a cumulative time in racing divisions for pro men/women and amateur men/women. The pro division will have a $3,000 prize purse. Registration will open on May 1, 2012 at www.aspensnowmass.com and the price for registration will be announced soon.

Tentative Schedule & Preliminary Course Information:
    Friday, July 13 – 4 p.m. – Chainless Downhill (Time Trial)

Begin at the top of Elk Camp Gondola and descend down Snowmass Way, the new Funnel trail and finish in Base Village. A DJ, drinks and welcome party will surround the finish line.

Saturday, July 14 – 10 a.m. – Cross-Country Race (Mass Start)

Start in Snowmass Village (location TBD) and climb to the Cross Mountain trail before riding down Valhalla (the new Gravity Logic trail) and finish in Base Village.

Saturday, July 14 – 3 p.m. – Downhill (Time Trial)

Each racer will have one run down Snowmass’ famed Pro DH course accessed from the top of the Village Express chairlift and finish in Base Village. An after-party will continue in Snowmass Base Village.

Sunday, July 15 – 9 a.m. – Super-Downhill (Time Trial)

The crown jewel of the race is the final stage with a drop of more than 4,000 feet from the top of Elk Camp Chair all the way to the rodeo parking lot. There is not a longer lift served descent in North America. The course will feature Vapor, Government, Anaerobic Nightmare, Highline and Lowline trails. An award ceremony and closing party will follow at 1 p.m. in Snowmass Base Village.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Woah. Sick!

XC race followed by the DH race on the same bike is awesome-o.

I had the Breck 68 on the schedule for that weekend, but I think Enduro wins. Trestle Enduro is the next weekend. My poor bike.

Well shit. Probably going to have to go ahead and sign up for that. Never had a chance to ride the old DH course before.

Do they run the Elk Camp chair all summer or just for this race?
    The only time I made it out to Snowmass was when they ran the village express to the Knob and that was nice!

The Elk Camp chair runs every Fri-Sun! I cant wait for this event...its gonna be sick.

Quote Originally Posted by grabtindy View Post
    Well shit. Probably going to have to go ahead and sign up for that. Never had a chance to ride the old DH course before.
    Plenty of time to rest up for the Power of Four

Might have to make this my first bike race, depending on registration and lift fees.

Sounds like a ton o fun. Wish I could hit that. Would be a nice motivator for getting in shape.

Cool! We are overdue for an Aspen trip... hmmm.
    I'm so hardcore, I'm gnarcore.

that sounds rowdy, depending on cost, i might be down for that.
    More fucked up than a cricket in a hubcap

Rumor has it only $100 for the 4-stages. What I haven't heard is lift ticket special. I'm sure there will be one, but havent heard yet.

BUMP: for updated website, schedule and pricing info:

http://www.aspensnowmass.com/events-...er-of-the-mass

Quote Originally Posted by Nitro View Post
    Anyone elaborate on the XC course?

Yeah the XC stage seems to be the biggest problem with this event. Chances are this race will be won on an XCish 4-5" bike by an XC racer.

Quote Originally Posted by Stealthb4 View Post
    Yeah the XC stage seems to be the biggest problem with this event. Chances are this race will be won on an XCish 4-5" bike by an XC racer.
    Here is a brief update on the XC stage. We did alter it and it is starting at the top of the Gondola. It will have about 600-800 vert of climbing and will end going down the gravity logic course. It is still more DH than climbing. By starting at the top of the gondola, we have eliminated the suffer fest opening road climb from the base. Not to mention that Govy trail West through the ski area is rolling and quit techy indeed. We will GPS it as soon as possible. Here's the description:

Beginning at the top of the Elk Camp Gondola this ride will incorporate the best Cross-Country trails Snowmass has to offer including: Sway, Government (West to East), Village Bound and Cross Mountain. The ride will finish with a ride down Valhalla (the new Gravity Logic trail) and finish in Snowmass base village.

Kick ass!
    This sounds like fun, not to mention it's the first race I've had any interest in entering in the last 10 years.

I saw some pics of the Cafe Suzanne demolition and it looked around there. Is G-Logic good to go?

Negative. GL is coming out to get it dialed. Not 100% sure when they are starting to buff it out. I did hear a cool rumor that the GL trail will continue with more jumps and burms when it comes out on Funnel! Including a possible drops zone...but I cannot confirm any of this.

To ACH....I agree...last year's winter park enduro was the first race I had any interest in doing in 10 years as well! I think thats why I'm so excited about this new event.
    Last edited by Nitro; 05-15-2012 at 08:56 AM.

I hope it's a great event for you guys and it draws a bunch of interest.
    Quite aways out of my driving range, I'm hoping that some of the areas in Washington
    [cough]Steven's and Crystal[/cough] are paying attention.

Are there plans for new trails by Gravity Logic to be built this year?

Not this year, but with the new section opening (middle section) and the work at the very bottom, we should be quite satisfied for this summer.

Ha. I was actually hoping for at least 1K of climbing for the XC stage. I don't see that being a "problem" at all if you are trying to do an omnium style event. Just make the Time difference count for less on the XC stage. (cut the differences in half for instance)

this is looking like a good probability for me. Will secure up plans by the weekend. Working on finding a place to stay, then i'll book the race.
    More fucked up than a cricket in a hubcap

but wait, if it's over a few days, it it really an enduro? Are you somehow gonna make sure people don't swap bikes?
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.