Check Out Our Shop

do my dynafits need a brake?

so the third day out on my first pair of dynafits i hit a rock (broke my hand) and broke the brake off one of my bindings. do i need it (obviously i need some retention inbounds)? what i mean is do i need it for the binding to work properly? without the brake the boot is supported in the back only by the pins and no plate. i have skied with it since but only because i had to to get back. it seemed to work other than providing no feedback when i clicked in.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Nope, you don't need it for suport.

Not needed. The heel is supported by the posts alone.

what ^^^ they said.
    "Remember, if you don't do it this year, you'll be one year older when you do." -Warren Miller
    Ephesians 4:7

IMO, you need some sort of retension all the time even touring. For example transitioning on a steep sidehill is not a good place to lose a ski. So, dump the brakes and get some decent leashes and lose weight and have a easy kit to use all the time.

Above is true about riding on the pins alone, except with the new Radical FT. There is a sliding rear AFD on the Radical and the boot most certainly does rest upon it.

On all the others the brake is just to keep your ski from taking off down the side of the mountain without you. Removing is a great way to lighten the setup and make it super easy to switch between ski/tour modes.

No brake needed.

BUT, dynafit swaps in an extra spring inside the heel housing when brakes are added. Consequently, the binding release will be affected unless you swap out this extra spring.

Dynafit brake instruction manual should have the info to do this swap at home. It's a four minute chore.

thanks everyone!
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.