Check Out Our Shop
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Midwest chatter - 2011 / 2012 style.

This http://forecast.weather.gov/showsigw...izzard+Warning seems like as good of an excuse to start this years thread as any. Should help get a few more lifts a bit closer to spinning.
    "Those 1%ers are not an avaricious "them" but in reality the most entrepreneurial of "us". If we had more of them and fewer grandstanding politicians, we would all be better off."
    - Bradley Schiller, Prof. of Economics, Univ. Nevada - Reno.

I'll be through the Midwest next week on business and hope to get some turns in, hope the weather cooperates.

Seriously, does La Nina affect the lake effect snow machine?
    I still call it The Jake.

Not sure what, if any, impact the bitch has but one thing is for sure - hot ass summers and abnormally warm (and long) falls keep the big lakes warm which definately DOES crank up the LES (when and if the temps drop!).

Actually the forecast is calling for a cold snap and the forecasters are teasingn us about keeping an eye on "another system"... If ya sacrafice something appropriate to Ullr and bring the goods with you the drinks are on me.
    "Those 1%ers are not an avaricious "them" but in reality the most entrepreneurial of "us". If we had more of them and fewer grandstanding politicians, we would all be better off."
    - Bradley Schiller, Prof. of Economics, Univ. Nevada - Reno.

This storm didn't quite hit right for Leelanau County - only a couple of inches here, Shanty/Schuss may be the spot over in Bellaire.
    "He was skiing the french technique two years before he knew what it was....."

PNS completely opened. Plenty of coverage.
    This wkend expect crisp wall-2-wall carpet in AM and Spring Skiing after noon.
    Skiing bright orange Dynastars 8000's.
    when not on the snow what else do i do...

http://www.jatho-craftsman.blogspot.com/

Thinking about heading out to PNS Tuesday AM. Anyone else planning on going?
    Nobody listens to a fkn word fat chicks say. Nobody talks to them long enough to notice they're crazy

I say delete this thread. Winter isn't going to get here in 2012.

Re: the warm Superior = massive LES thing - I've been saying this the past two years IN NOVEMBER. It's January 6th today - we're not going to get any LES.

Johndee's been floating that carrot out there for a month now - that ten days from now it looks promising. Ten days pass and it's sunny and 45.

Back in October I was saying "the past two winters have been so weak - we're due for a Snowpocalypse". Well - NEXT year we're due for a Snowpocalypse. Winter is over - it never came. I packed all my ski shit away last night. Yeah - I could go schralp down some man-made shit on some groomers at Rib or something - no thanks. The thing that really sucks is that in the past you could always just go out to UT or CO or something. Not this year.

Worst "winter" ever. I predict the Keweenaw doesn't break 100".

Be honest with yourselves, hop down off that unicorn and give up on this "winter".

Dang doom and dread abounds.

Shit - it's actually the 7th today. That's even worse.

I also tossed about a foot and a half stack of Powder magazines this morning. Fuck this weak-assed abortion of a "winter".

PNS snow cams look nice. I'm screwed, more family losses and bad shoulders from driving to and from cold funerals. Actually, the arms *will* heal and I shall see somebody onslope this year. PNS can make snow with 90deg water it seems...

Quote Originally Posted by Jer View Post
    I say delete this thread. Winter isn't going to get here in 2012.
    Be honest with yourselves, hop down off that unicorn and give up on this "winter".

I don't own a unicorn. We have another Winter Blast coming in here on Thurs/Fri/Sat. That gives us a 2 - 3 day machine-made event.

U sound like the type that likes to pop all the ballons at someone's birthday party.

Quote Originally Posted by whippersnapper View Post
    PNS snow cams look nice.....
    Great skiing last 2 days. Crisp wall-2-wall carpet in AM. Spring conditions all afternoon. Deception is nicely "bumped". Everything firms up an hour after sundown into sugar, corn, & ball bearings.

Taking a day off. Mellow hike in the woods on my agenda 2day. C u Monday opening bell.
    Last edited by Lostinthetrees; 01-08-2012 at 09:50 AM.

AN IMPORTANT MESSAGE FROM THE PEOPLE'S FRONT OF SUPERIOR (LIMESTONE MOUNTAIN DIVISION):

REPORTS ACROSS THE UPPER MIDWEST INDICATE A DISTINCT LACK OF SNOW IN MANY AREAS. OUT OF DOOR ENTHUSIASTS MAY BE CONSIDERING TRAVEL TO THE UP IN SEARCH OF SNOW.

STAY HOME.

THERE IS NO SNOW IN THE UP.

AT ALL.

AND WHATEVER ANYBODY SAYS, THERE IS NO BACKCOUNTRY SKIING EITHER.

nice askel, found similar on logging roads in marquette cty on the sled. john dee has implied a good forecast is coming tomorrow... we'll see.

Well shoot I just posted in the other thread, I like last year's better.

I'm hopeful for John Dee's forecast tomorrow.

Was in Munising sledding on Tuesday, there was about a foot and a half away from the lake. Still hardly enough, might head out 510 tomorrow to see whats out there, I have heard reports of ski able snow in some spots that will remain un-named.
    The whole human race is de evolving; it is due to birth control, smart people use birth control, and stupid people keep pooping out more stupid babies.

OK, who poached it?

http://www.mininggazette.com/page/co....html?nav=5006

And was it worth it?

Quote Originally Posted by Yukonrider View Post
    Well shoot I just posted in the other thread, I like last year's better.

I'm hopeful for John Dee's forecast tomorrow.

Was in Munising sledding on Tuesday, there was about a foot and a half away from the lake. Still hardly enough, might head out 510 tomorrow to see whats out there, I have heard reports of ski able snow in some spots that will remain un-named.
    Forecast looking good for Thursday - if it pans out I'll be on the sled that day. Ankle is no good for skiing but I might be shuttling skiers to the top of stuff they want to ski. I'll look for your tracks at the hairpin

If it were November 9th I'd be stoked to no end about Askel's photos. However, it is January 9th.

Fucking slednex. Maybe it's time for the Northern Alliance to set up an OP at Bohemia and take care of things.

Brap

Monday morning's headlines- "Area Man Sucks At Telemark"

(On the right in brown pants. Literally minutes before my most awesome yard sale yet this year.)

Oddly enough, this was the second time I made the front page of the local rag on skis.

(No, not in the ball pit. On the left. In stripes)
    Last edited by Askel; 01-09-2012 at 01:20 PM.

Wed-fri looking promising in the north central yoop. Johndee is saying areas favored by a north wind should be getting the lake effect after the clipper, so people on the spine might not get as much snow. I'd think indianhead/blackjack/powderhorn could get a nice refresh. I know indianhead was 100% already which surprised me.

Really wish my ankle was 100% and I could ski. at all.

Reslts of my sledding yesterday:

Friday is looking like a good day for skiing, hope hte storm dumps over the Ish/Neg area instead of Munising like the last few.
    The whole human race is de evolving; it is due to birth control, smart people use birth control, and stupid people keep pooping out more stupid babies.

Aren't you supposed to go around the trees?

Finding snow this year has been tough. Luckily I got three days in at Whistler in early December with some great conditions. Stopped at Cypress for a day to while I was there. Then back to the lower 48, where some hills in southern MI didn't even open for Christmas...the bottoms of my skis show that Steamboat and Copper weren't much better. Should have stayed in Indiana that week and skied the boilerplate at PNS.

It's alright Yukon, you'll be able to jump that tree by Saturday. JD has a custom map for the next 3 days and it shows all of marquette county and many other places in the 12-24" range, very exciting. Driving up tonight. http://www.johndee.com/storm.htm