Page 884 of 892 FirstFirst ... 879 880 881 882 883 884 885 886 887 888 889 ... LastLast
Results 22,076 to 22,100 of 22294

2012 Montana Conditions, Stoke and Whatev Thread

I assume you sidestepped out of there
    No way you turned right
    "If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough."

Dang homie, that's a helluva camper rig you got there!

Hopefully the last few days have just been a warmup for Slaypril

Sent from my Pixel 7a using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 0g View Post
    Hopefully the last few days have just been a warmup for Slaypril
    The hits keep coming. Dumping at Big Sky with more in the forecast today.

This is turning into one of the better weeks of the year.

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Quote Originally Posted by swimmy View Post
    The hits keep coming. Dumping at Big Sky with more in the forecast today.

This is turning into one of the better weeks of the year.
    I'll be down there with Tommy and probably Adam too.

50 mph winds on the summit last night. Snow report makes it sound like we shouldn't expect anything up high to be open any time soon. Not that the report means anything really, just wondering where to start.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot 2024-03-28 at 07-30-37 Lone Mountain - Summit Gallatin National Forest Avalanche Cent.png 
Views:	81 
Size:	82.1 KB 
ID:	492255

Dental appointment says no skiing today. If it were me, go north.

Of course that is "if" any energy is put into the HWs.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

8:30. Guess no one skis anymore.

Name:	IMG_8246.jpg 
Size:	502.2 KB 
ID:	492257

Quote Originally Posted by swimmy View Post
    8:30. Guess no one skis anymore.

Name:	IMG_8246.jpg 
Size:	502.2 KB 
ID:	492257
    Ski season's over - moose out front should have told you.

Yesterday was my dad's last day in whitefish, so I joined him in the afternoon.

Tried to channel swimmy and bring my real camera. Mostly with the hope that the clouds would lift for clear visibility into Glacier for some long-lens portraits, but also to see what shooting skiing would feel like.

Lot to think about in order to set up the shot, get the skier in the right spot, nail focus, and capture the right moments. Amazing how much swimmy's got that process down!

Name:	P3270339-Enhanced-NR.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	589.9 KB 
ID:	492260

Name:	P3270328-Enhanced-NR.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	828.5 KB 
ID:	492261
    Lots of shots but only a few with good composition and focus (yeah...first one the focus is on the tree behind him...). Eventually got some camera settings tweaked into more action/sports friendly modes, but by then the chairs were closing and my dad's legs were looking pretty tired!

Entire mountain closed bc of thunder and lightning. I've seen a lot of nasty weather on the summit but today was some serious Mt. Everest shit. Most blind Lenin run I've ever done. Snow was just whipping! Halfway down saw one person side slipping down. Turned out to be a guy I know so we helped "see" each other down. By the time I got around the duck walk the mountain was almost deserted. Crazy shit.

Was at Cottonwood paying for my season pass (Golf). It had been decent earlier, the same front came through and ran everyone off the course.

Now that I have paid for that pass I can almost guarantee April will be snowy.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    Entire mountain closed bc of thunder and lightning. I've seen a lot of nasty weather on the summit but today was some serious Mt. Everest shit. Most blind Lenin run I've ever done. Snow was just whipping! Halfway down saw one person side slipping down. Turned out to be a guy I know so we helped "see" each other down. By the time I got around the duck walk the mountain was almost deserted. Crazy shit.
    Fucking nuts. We got some great turns off Lone Tree before the shitshow.

Edit to add: snowing insanely hard now

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

Lifts re-opening now

Quote Originally Posted by Trackhead View Post
    "I could not imagine a higher honor at this point in my career, to help create a place like this with clients who are sensitive to maintaining the spirit of a landscape and the spirit of a local culture.”
    >>barf<<
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Well, given that Steamboat is about to get a 1000 gallon enema as well as Morgan Country down in Utah, these types of developments are now becoming quite the norm.

Normal can be nauseating.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunion 2020 View Post
    Well, given that Steamboat is about to get a 1000 gallon enema
    I hear there may be water questions in the Steamboat development... here's to hoping.

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    That was one of the most intense experiences I've had skiing off the summit. First, the tram operator warned everyone that if you get motion sickness or are afraid of heights, that ride was not for your. And it was rocking on the way up which was kind of cool. The intro to Over the Hills and Far Away started about halfway up so I was getting pumped. As we approached the summit, they told us to get off the mtn sooner than later because a lightening storm was approaching. Damn.

But once we got off, the wind was blowing snow so hard the inside of my goggles was filling up. You couldn't see shit and as I started skiing down, there were bodies stranded all over the Yeti traverse. No one knew where they were. I tried to help show the line but folks couldn't keep up (even though I was crawling.)

I grabbed a quick video from the summit.

We did manage first tracks down the Snowfield. It was great. I'll post up a pic or two later.

^It’s one thing for it to be blowing like that on Rendezvous. Totally different animal on Lone Peak. Gnarly.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Countdown until the peasants are allowed back on big sky. So stoked! I need some tram laps.

Quote Originally Posted by singlesline View Post
    Yesterday was my dad's last day in whitefish, so I joined him in the afternoon.

Tried to channel swimmy and bring my real camera. Mostly with the hope that the clouds would lift for clear visibility into Glacier for some long-lens portraits, but also to see what shooting skiing would feel like.

Lot to think about in order to set up the shot, get the skier in the right spot, nail focus, and capture the right moments. Amazing how much swimmy's got that process down!

Lots of shots but only a few with good composition and focus (yeah...first one the focus is on the tree behind him...). Eventually got some camera settings tweaked into more action/sports friendly modes, but by then the chairs were closing and my dad's legs were looking pretty tired!
    Nice dude! Ski photography can be challenging but I also find it very rewarding. Happy to nerd out on gear, settings, composition, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by east or bust View Post
    ^It’s one thing for it to be blowing like that on Rendezvous. Totally different animal on Lone Peak. Gnarly.
    I told one dude don't turn right or you'll fall right off the mtn. I was dead serious too.

Quote Originally Posted by toastybroski View Post
    Countdown until the peasants are allowed back on big sky. So stoked! I need some tram laps.
    Let's go!

As I mentioned, before all hell broke loose we grabbed first tracks down the Snowfield. Fantastic skiing. It was like 4" on top of a perfectly wind groomed slope. So smooth and you could ski it as hard as you wanted. I think I made like 4 turns down the whole thing. Love it when you can just open it up like that.

I got dow to the apron and snapped a few.

Bunion - you know Tom. Pretty sure he used to work for ya.

There were deeper pockets if you searched. This is another friend who joined our group.

Love it back there.

I’m definitely going to be reaching out to you and yeahman to hopefully show me the ropes if I can keep up. It’s been tough to get away from the kids for a whole day.

Toastybroski, let's do it.

Swimmy, nice video! And pics. I had the 11 a.m. Snowfield slot and they closed it right then.

Aside from all that summit and lightning-storm chaos, today was one of my best days at Big Sky this year. First tracks down Elk Park Ridge were outstanding. Andesite was just amazing for the first hour of the day, surely the best cowpow I've skied this season. Trees were also super fun late into the afternoon. Yesterday and today were really fucking fun.

Bunion - you know Tom. Pretty sure he used to work for ya.
    If that is the Tom I think it is, more like we worked together.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunion 2020 View Post
    If that is the Tom I think it is, more like we worked together.
    Gotta be the same dude. He patrolled from '97-2017.

Oh and Yeahman, dig the beard.

This shit was so good yesterday. If the tram's a rockin', don't come a knocking'!!