Check Out Our Shop

TR: A Scary Good Weekend

October's been great so far this year. An early 4' of snow at Wolf Creek, followed by another big storm the week before Halloween. The two major snowfalls left good coverage up high off Independence Pass, and allowed Wolf Creek to open again, with another 22" of powder. And just like that, cliff-hucking season has begun!

For those without the attention span to scroll down, I put some of the photos in the video. Still ironing out problems interfacing with the new helmet (angles and shakycam).

I had seen Leroy Jenkin's thread about the conditions up on Indy Pass and rumors of a send-able cliff, so I sent him a PM and we met up at the top of the pass on Friday morning for some fun lines and a good tour through the SW basin, before I headed down to Wolf Creek for the re-opening on Saturday.

Our first destination was this ridgeline.

Leroy's cliff, muchos gracias senior for scoping this one out earlier in the week.

We passed up sloppy seconds on this line to head out a bit further.

Passing through the land of giants.

One of 'em must have gotten nasty with a cleaver.

Hiking up to check out the chutes. Unfortunately, the coverage wasn't quite there for it to be worth the turns.

Oh well, the "spine" and an old-snow cornice are a nice consolation prize.

Sending it as big as I could.

Is this what glacier skiing is like? I wouldn't know, I live in Colorado...

Some turns were good...

Others were not...

A good day in the SW basin.
    Last edited by Lindahl; 11-01-2011 at 10:00 AM.

That looks pretty fun. Sorry about crunchin that large rock.

thanks for the TR. wish I was there.

stoke bump ...
    We, the RATBAGGERS, formally axcept our duty is to trigger avalaches on all skiers ...

Looks cool. Never skied Indy Pass. Thanks for sharing.
    Live each season as it passes; breathe the air, drink the drink, taste the fruit, and resign yourself to the influences of each.
    Henry David Thoreau

looks like some fun times
    I can't believe you are a rando racer because I look so much better in Lycra than you.

People who don't think the Earth is flat haven't skied Vail.

B, you are a nut. Good stuff man. We'll have to get down to Wolfie together later this winter, but I'm gonna wait til all those sharks are buried just a bit deeper. Nice work.
    Quote Originally Posted by DoWork
    Well we really came up with jong because it was becoming work to call all the johnny-come-lately whiny twats like yourself ball-licking, dick-shitting, butthole-surfing, manyon-sniffing, fotch-fanagling, duck butter spreading, sheep fucking, whiny, pissant, entitled, PMSing, baby dicked, pizza-frenchfrying, desk jockeying flacid excuses for misguided missles of butthurt specifically. That and JONG is just fun to say.
    the-one-track-mind

Thanks for that. Early season pow/hucking rules. Great vid even if the last few minutes were like a Star Trek rerun (shakycam).
    "We need sometimes to escape into open solitudes, into aimlessness, into the moral holiday of running some pure hazard, in order to sharpen the edge of life, to taste hardship, and to be compelled to work desperately for a moment at no matter what. -George Santayana, The Philosophy of Travel

...it would probably bother me more if I wasn't quite so heavily sedated. -David St. Hubbins, This Is Spinal Tap

Looks awesome!

Nice! Love Indy Pass. Looks like this next storm could help the cause! Hope to make it out this weekend.

Your love of AC/DC never fails to impress.

I was out at the Wolf Crack on Saturday. It was good. I forgot my camera, that was not good.

If Lindahl was wearing the steezy jacket in his avatar, I saw him, but didn't ask for change. There was a dude in a green gorilla suit doing laps. It was like spring. I hit Area 54 with an optometrist from Pagosa.

I got one fine run off Alberta peak. Later, I fell into a 10' deep gully trying to work my way through the trees from the peak chutes to the main lodge. I skied some groomers with my wife. I didn't get hurt and didn't have any core shots. A good day indeed.

They are closing Indy temperarilly (at least for now) at 1 p.m. today, Nov. 1. Maybe the end of Indy till May unless you have a sled.

Why is CO so difficult to get to, you lucky locals
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Quote Originally Posted by Edgnar View Post
    They are closing Indy temperarilly (at least for now) at 1 p.m. today, Nov. 1. Maybe the end of Indy till May unless you have a sled.
    NOOOOOOOOOO!

I really wasnt expecting this, I mean we're only supposed to get less than a foot, nowhere has enough snow to slide onto the road, plowing wont be an issue WTF guys? These temporary closures are never temporary Grrr! And the pass would be skiing SO well with another foot, TONS of airs and lines sendable. I'm sure you can get a motorcycle past the barrier, but what are the rules for such things right now? How bad would it be if you got caught? I know legally its different but its practically the exact same as a sled this time of year.

Oh well, at least I got my ass wiggling old man turn quotient in for the year. I might just have to do a 4000 vert ft day just to ski montezuma glacier.

Good meeting you B and glad to see WC didnt suck.

Quote Originally Posted by whyturn View Post
    Why is CO so difficult to get to, you lucky locals
    So half the east coast doesnt show up every time it snows like UT?
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________________
    "We don't need predator control, we need whiner control. Anyone who complains that "the gummint oughta do sumpin" about the wolves and coyotes should be darted, caged, and released in a more suitable habitat for them, like the middle of Manhattan." - Spats

"I'm constantly doing things I can't do. Thats how I get to do them." - Pablo Picasso

Cisco and his wife are fragile idiots who breed morons.

Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    NOOOOOOOOOO!

plowing wont be an issue WTF guys?

These temporary closures are never temporary Grrr!

r. I might just have to do a 4000 vert ft day just to ski montezuma glacier.

?
    Plowing is an issue on that pass... seriously
    It may be temporary, let's see how much sun we get today and tomorrow... It's only 5 days early for the closure this year... so I could see them not spending the money to open it back up.

Montezuma may very well be 4k unless you get to hitch a ride with Cross...

Nice work on the TR Lindahl
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.