Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Hutch View Post
    Awful. Looks like he was a creative and passionate young skier.

http://www.blurb.com/books/1540653

RIP Zephyr.
    That's tough to read. What a talented kid.

RIP Zephyr.
    "Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention to arrive safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow!!! What a ride!"

"We been runnin' these goddam hills for dang near, huh?"
    Sturgis Uncensored

rest in peace Zephyr.

All the best to this guy's family and friends.

Seems like the deaths from skiing this year are non-stop. Absolutely terrible.

vibes to the family

rip

This has been a tough year for skiers and snowboarders getting killed, at least 10 this season. This sucks.

Vibes to friends and family.

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post

EDIT: If I had the money, I would get that published as a coffee table book in his memory. Lord knows I would buy a few copies.
    http://www.blurb.com/bookstore/detail/1540653

Excellent.
    I am buying 2.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Gonna buy a copy too, though the site seems a little bogged down right now.

Poor kid, this really sucks. Just hope it was fast.

Thinking of his people tonight....
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

Great photos Zep, rest in peace.

Wow, fantastic work on that book. Looks like he was talented and had a lot ahead of him. RIP.
    TRs, photos, videos, and building skis (2 pairs so far...):
    http://wasatchprotocol.wordpress.com/

RIP kid

hug your kids tonite mags

Dammit. RIP. Got that much cool shit goin by 18, pretty awesome. Big vibes to his folks and friends, it just ain't right...
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

I've mentioned a few weeks ago that maybe somehow the collective could create an e-card to send condolences from us as a group to the families of fallen riders.

That book Zephyr created should absolutely be published in his memory.

Heartfelt vibes to any of his friends and family that may read this.
    Last edited by Crampedon; 01-12-2011 at 09:00 PM.

Damn, sad ending to this.

Gotta wonder what caused the collision, but in the end it really doesn't matter. Just hope he didn't suffer long.

Holding good thoughts for his fam and friends having a tough time...

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
    Very Sad. That kid very well could have been a mag...
    vibes - ski with the K

An amazing metamorphosis of this evolving report of a real tragedy...from the report of a lost skier to an unfolding insight into a young man with an artistic soul and an extraordinary passion for skiing that permeated everything in his short life. Wow. It seems like he posted here years ago for input while researching that book. I think we might have lost a fellow maggot...

My empathy and love to his family and friends.

vibes to the family....RIP dude!!
    Terje was right.

"We're all kooks to somebody else." -Shelby Menzel

His spirit is in a good place, enjoying and endless pow day. RIP
    .....Visit my website. .....

"a yin without a yang"

Really enjoyed your book.
    RIP Zephyr.

doughboyshredder Guest
    RIP Zephyr.

dammit.

RIP.

FUCK. I knew Zephyr pretty well, I used to race with him before he went out west for school.

He was an incredible guy and a great skier. Definitely one of the most interesting people I've ever had a conversation with. He was one of those guys who made every situation more upbeat regardless of what was going on, whether it was through funny stories or ridiculous antics, he always brought something interesting and entertaining to the table.

I'm really sad to see him go, still can't believe it had to be him.

RIP man. I know everybody who ever got to meet you will miss you and there are few people I can confidently say that about. Enjoy the endless winter
    Quote Originally Posted by other grskier View Post
    well, in the three years i've been skiing i bet i can ski most anything those 'pro's' i listed can, probably

Prior post was fucking weak sauce, so I recomposed.

An explanation for the earlier comment, should you have seen it: every day I see in the news--EVERY day, unfailingly--an instance where some asshole gets away with somebody else's money, somebody else's life. I see that, and then I come on TGR and read about an 18 year old kid, a college student with goals, with motivation, and with more than one talent, losing his life to one of the things he loved most.

It's knee-jerk reaction, I think, to spin comfort from the "they went out doing what they loved" bullshit. And I hear it all the time--even a friend of Zephyr's on NS said "if there was anyway he wanted to go, it'd be on his skis." I say it too, but upon reexamination, it's such a terrible thing. My sole source of comfort in Zephyr's case, is not that he died doing what he loved--it's that he lived doing what he loved. I see a lot of my chic, urbanite friends posting on Facebook "live life to the fullest." That's all bullshit, folks, unless you pinch the throttle and pull the stick back. Writing music and a book by 18? Traveling in Freshman year of college to ski Jackson? That is fucking awesome.

Every time one of these threads pops up, about somebody missing--and it has been dolefully frequent this year, it seems--I am plunged into a sense of dread that does not subside until they are found. Every single god damn time, I walk around hoping to god or whoever that they're nothing more than lost and maybe a little cold.

It is difficult, having not known Zephyr and many of the other skiers lost, to say anything other than "RIP" or "vibes," but I want to say more. Typically all I see are the procedural descriptions of their passing, but there's a lifetime of experience behind that newsroom curtain that I don't ever see. It's like reading the last page of a book. I wish I could have known him, skied with him, shared some stoke. More, at least, than reading this fucking thread.

I once saw a piece of artwork on a forum that stated something along the lines of "happiness is a pause between periods of suffering." As much as I don't want to believe that, the loss of Zephyr in addition to others prior this year seem to chop up the stoke emanating from the good stuff, the TRs and exaltation that Zephyr got, that we get from skiing. You and I, I am aware, admittedly go solo at times, or ski without helmets a lot, or without much gear--and while it may be that none of those were contributing factors to Zephyrs' passing, or even most skiing related incidents--please be careful. I want more TRs. I fucking hate these threads.

Also, I'm buying the book and adding the song I found on youtube to my ski playlist.

RIP in peace buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Wes Mantooth View Post
    FUCK. I knew Zephyr pretty well, I used to race with him before he went out west for school.
    Really sorry to hear that. Fucking sucks. I'm sorry I can't do anything for him, except to keep skiing.

Edit: Grammar
    Last edited by kevok2; 01-13-2011 at 03:44 AM.

My condolences for the family. And here's to a kid who was walking the path of enlightenment. Not enough time on our orb, dude. RIP.

Another morning starting with news of a skier death sucks. I Will have Zephyrs' song in my head while skiing today. RIP
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime