Check Out Our Shop
Page 100 of 101 FirstFirst ... 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 LastLast
Results 2,476 to 2,500 of 2505
    Quote Originally Posted by milestogo View Post
    Need to change gearing on my new Otso Fenrir for fully loaded bikepacking. Comes with 34t chainring and 11-40 cassette. Works fine unloaded, but my knees...I'm at the age where the muscles are fine but the joints are unhappy. Front chainring is going to a 32 or a 30.
    GRX 812 is on the bike
    Option A: Goatlink 11 w/sunrace 11-46 or 11-50
    Option B: Garbaruk long cage swap w/sunrace 11-46 or 11-50

Anyone done either? Youtube demonstrates that both work, Garbaruk a little more expensive. They have a nice cassette as well but its almost 3x the sunrace cost and I've had good experience with sunrace so far. Not worried about the cassette weight penalty.
    I replaced my wife’s 11-42 with a SR 11-46 on my wife’s Sram Rival 11speed. Other than adjusting the derailleur, it works like a charm.

On a GRX you may need some extra chain links.

Quote Originally Posted by chaka View Post
    bravo grrmountainman!
    x2. Great pics.

Quote Originally Posted by grrrmountainman View Post
    Got out for a shakedown ride this weekend and overnighter. Wheel set is a nice upgrade (dt swiss wheels and 350 Hubs) , 30/46 front chainring was adequate and bags (restrap) are working well. 96km/1,150m elev over two days and grades up to 20% - this is a ride from my door in Jasper with a nice lake for an overnight camp and return the same way. Tires (38c) are able to handle loose chunk put no doubt become pizza cutters when it’s soft or sandy, but it’s the best I have to work with so kind of like the gearing, it’ll just be what it is.

Off to the oakanagan to spend a few weeks Bikepacking - lots of different route options. Stoked!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Nice work. I'm guessing you know where to go here in the OK, but if you have any questions, let me know.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9278.JPG 
Views:	76 
Size:	224.3 KB 
ID:	493188

After 3 years of putting up with Apex 11 speed gearing 11-42, finally made the jump to Shimano 12 speed with a full bike rebuild. This is my road, bike, gravel, bike, and cross-country mountain bike and was worried about the big gearing jumps on the road but after a couple of road rides, have yet to wish for tighter gear jumps. Everything about the Shimano grx 820 has been amazing. 44 t Wolf Tooth chain ring, 10-51 cassette is amazing on the road and gravel. Still a bit of a grind on steep technical single track but much better than the old SRAM apex. Super smooth, shifting and amazing braking. So nice having the left lever controlling the new One up v3 dropper post as well. Very excited to see where this bike can go.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by alive View Post

Name:	IMG_9278.JPG 
Views:	76 
Size:	224.3 KB 
ID:	493188

After 3 years of putting up with Apex 11 speed gearing 11-42, finally made the jump to Shimano 12 speed with a full bike rebuild. This is my road, bike, gravel, bike, and cross-country mountain bike and was worried about the big gearing jumps on the road but after a couple of road rides, have yet to wish for tighter gear jumps. Everything about the Shimano grx 820 has been amazing. 44 t Wolf Tooth chain ring, 10-51 cassette is amazing on the road and gravel. Still a bit of a grind on steep technical single track but much better than the old SRAM apex. Super smooth, shifting and amazing braking. So nice having the left lever controlling the new One up v3 dropper post as well. Very excited to see where this bike can go.

Did you piece the groupset together yourself or at your LBS?
    Quote Originally Posted by jlboyell View Post
    Climate change deniers should be in the same boat as the flat earthers, ridiculed for stupidity.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyg82 View Post
    If you are looking for this group keep your eye on the Planet Cyclery website. They have been dropping prices on their GRX 820 components recently. I suspect it may drop more before they finally shut their doors in June

Might be time for me to make that jump too.

That extra gear and wider range could be pretty useful. Right now I’m geared low for climbing but I spin out on moderate descents.

edit: except I need to run a cable rear brake...which I think means my only option is to go electronic as you can still get a mechanical brake AXS brifter. And I just don't really want to do that...I'm sure it would be great, but the idea of a custom steel frame with batteries is wrong to me.
    Last edited by singlesline; 05-15-2024 at 09:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyg82 View Post
    Yeah, it was a combination of bike shop and a lot of random parts like free hubs from online sources. The last parts for this revamp finally showed up a couple of days ago. Crossmax mtn wheelset And stoked that the 2.25 ThunderBurt fit up front and the 2.1 in the back

Name:	Image1715795281.809217.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	253.2 KB 
ID:	493643

Gravel/Bikepack nerds enter...

Just received my salsa cutthroat last week. Enjoying riding it in place of my mtb in smooth trails and enjoy getting creative with routes. I bought the base model and will upgrade as things wear down (my typical m.o. with bikes). The exception might be the wheels. They suck. They’re wtb i25 and the things are tanks. Anyone have any suggestions on good value wheelers beyond going carbon? I’m tempted to try something from hunt, but might also wait a year and go light bicycle or something.

Name:	Image1715797793.148338.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	257.6 KB 
ID:	493645

Quote Originally Posted by justcuz View Post
    Just received my salsa cutthroat last week. Enjoying riding it in place of my mtb in smooth trails and enjoy getting creative with routes. I bought the base model and will upgrade as things wear down (my typical m.o. with bikes). The exception might be the wheels. They suck. They’re wtb i25 and the things are tanks. Anyone have any suggestions on good value wheelers beyond going carbon? I’m tempted to try something from hunt, but might also wait a year and go light bicycle or something.

These seem like a good deal if they fit your spacing/axle setup, even if you have to swap freehub bodies: https://www.ebay.com/itm/22614633338...Bk9SR7qI3d3vYw

You can search by wheel size, material and axle spacing on pinkbike. I’d swing for some used carbon wheels… you can find the occasional $600 pair of XC wheels that were $2000 a few years ago. A buddy just grabbed some XMC 1200’s for $500.

Quote Originally Posted by justcuz View Post

I ordered some Shimano GRX 880 wheels for my wife’s gravel build.
    When they arrived I looked at the Freehubs and just assumed I brain farted and ordered the MicroSoline by mistake.
    So I ordered a new $120 HG Freehub. Stupid mistake.
    The freehub arrived and it’s the same as what’s on the wheels already.
    I’m building it with 11speed Di2 GRX, so I needed a HG Freehub.
    Turns out these are 12 speed only, and the freehub is “HG-Spline-L2” Not compatible with an 11 speed cassette. No HG Freehub available.

I learned a new freehub standard today…

I guess I’m putting the GRX on my 12 speed gravel bike and putting my DT 180s on my wife’s 11 speed build.
    When’s 12 speed GRX coming out?

12s grx is out. But, what's real fun is the 1x12 version uses a mtb cassette, so microspline, but the 2x uses that new deal. but also the 12s cassettes still go on a regular hg freehub. So, good job I guess with all that shimano. But there should be a microspline freehub available for those wheels at least?

di2 version soon, we have 2 groups coming at some point.

Have we talked inserts in here? Who’s running them?
    I’m running Tubolights F and R in 45c Maxxis Reavers and am feeling quite positive about this setup. 30psi f, 32psi r.
    Can probably dip a little lower on psi too.

Quote Originally Posted by joetron View Post
    Have we talked inserts in here? Who’s running them?
    I’m running Tubolights F and R in 45c Maxxis Reavers and am feeling quite positive about this setup. 30psi f, 32psi r.
    Can probably dip a little lower on psi too.

For a friend, I swapped some 40c Gravel tires with Cushcore CX on 27id rims.
    In a shop setting with proper levers, dry hands, solid floor, it was a pain to get the bead off the rim.
    With this set up I couldn’t imagine cutting a tire in the field, having to break the bead, remove the insert to get valve out, and put in a tube.
    By no means was it DH casing on a new tire and cushcore tough, but not really trail side friendly.

joeton, how field serviceable are your Turbolites with 45s?

Yeah, I tried cushcore gravel and Tannus before Tubolights and really prefer Tubolights.
    The formers felt harsh(cushcore )and or unpredictable(Tannus) in terms of support.
    Tubolights are super light and have predictable/natural feeling sidewall support.
    No problems with field repair. I’ve never used a tool to install and only use a Pedro’s lever to pop a bead off. Easy peasy.
    Using 45c Maxxis Reavers or ramblers on Enve G23 rim.

I have the vittoria gravel inserts. seem to help and I don't really notice them. Downside is it's expensive for a piece of foam, especially one you have to cut and zip tie together. Also, they stretch out so after like a month or two you should cut them down again to make sure they're tight on the rim bed holding the tire beads apart if you get a puncture.

Starting at the valve seems to help getting a tire unseated as the insert is raised up a little right there and you can get under it.

Anyone want to take over my registration for this gravel ride in Cle Elum on June 8? https://www.rideviciouscycle.com/hi90-grindy

Turns out I can't make it and the organizer will transfer my registration for $15.

Quote Originally Posted by dan_pdx View Post
    Anyone want to take over my registration for this gravel ride in Cle Elum on June 8? https://www.rideviciouscycle.com/hi90-grindy

Turns out I can't make it and the organizer will transfer my registration for $15.
    Should have included which course - it's the Medio, 53 miles

On the wheels front, when I built up my gravel bike, I started with a set of those wtbi23, and they are indeed anchors. I decided I did like riding the bike so I started watching the classified. Got a set of near new HED Ardennes allow wheels for $300 including a brand new xt 160mm rotor. Seemed like a fair deal. Much nicer. Weight wise, I measured the weight difference and it was like 580grams.

Pieced mine together from KSL and ebay with force 1x cable shifter cable brake, trp spyre brakes (worked great coming down big mountain Sunday). 11speed SLx cassette and rival rear der. Cranks are force carbon with 5 dev 40t ring.
    Bike is fun to ride on road, and even works alright on bst.

Frame is a large penhale gypsy. Nickel plated steel.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20240519_161640904.jpeg 
Views:	30 
Size:	208.3 KB 
ID:	494019
    sigless.

I’m already committed that day or I’d be into it. Do you want me to ask around locally?

Quote Originally Posted by jackattack View Post
    I’m already committed that day or I’d be into it. Do you want me to ask around locally?
    That'd be great! It's a bummer for it to go to waste, I had a really good time at their Leavenworth event.

Any of you salt lake gravel heads going out to the Ruby Roubaix on the 22nd?
    sigless.

the most beautiful place in the whole wide world
    That'd be great! It's a bummer for it to go to waste, I had a really good time at their Leavenworth event.
    I was at Leavenworth! Amazing weather. The 2nd climb was baller

Quote Originally Posted by chaka View Post
    I was at Leavenworth! Amazing weather. The 2nd climb was baller
    FKNA, nice! I agree the weather was perfect. I wimped out and did the short course, so I skipped the 2nd climb, kind of a good thing because I was pretty gassed by the end of the first climb.

I had no idea what to expect from the event. I've been doing training rides on mainly dirt roads with a bunch of short sharp rollers in the Palouse and killing myself to average 10 mph. Looking at finishing times for last year, my goal for Leavenworth was "stay out of the bottom quartile," but I wound up in the top quartile. Probably could have picked up a few more places if I had been speedier at the feeding station, but I'll know for next time.

How was the long course? From some of the bikes I saw around town the day before, I had the sense the competition was going to be pretty fierce.

FKNA, nice! I agree the weather was perfect. I wimped out and did the short course, so I skipped the 2nd climb, kind of a good thing because I was pretty gassed by the end of the first climb.

I had no idea what to expect from the event. I've been doing training rides on mainly dirt roads with a bunch of short sharp rollers in the Palouse and killing myself to average 10 mph. Looking at finishing times for last year, my goal for Leavenworth was "stay out of the bottom quartile," but I wound up in the top quartile. Probably could have picked up a few more places if I had been speedier at the feeding station, but I'll know for next time.

How was the long course? From some of the bikes I saw around town the day before, I had the sense the competition was going to be pretty fierce.
    Glad you enjoyed the medio. You won't regret it if you can train up to the GFL long course. Swakane canyon climb is beautiful and the subsequent eagle creek descent is the most fun I've ever had on a gravel bike.