Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Tom Wallisch is damn good in the park, but I'd rather give Freeskier of the Year to Pep or Pollard, or Bibby. They're just so much more versatile.

That said, this freeskier magazine that we're talking about here... and who do you thinks reads it? Newschoolers kiddos, mostly (probably). So naturally, TWall wins.

Quote Originally Posted by StuntCok View Post
    No goal, just counting to count, I guess. Not expecting any kudos for it nor do I see it any measure of skiing prowess. Anyway, I suppose the winky smiley isn't enough to tip off that I was being facetious. Sorry for being too subtle.

"Freeskiing", by the way the magazine that awarded the title defines it, does have a heavy emphasis on jumps and rails.
    I guess I suck at humor.

the is the equivalent of afterbanging your sentence.
    bumps are for poor people

skiing is fun!

Quote Originally Posted by powderbro View Post
    Tom Wallisch is damn good in the park, but I'd rather give Freeskier of the Year to Pep or Pollard, or Bibby. They're just so much more versatile.

That said, this freeskier magazine that we're talking about here... and who do you thinks reads it? Newschoolers kiddos, mostly (probably). So naturally, TWall wins.
    I think there is one man that dare I say it destroys all three of the candidates you mentioned (not to deny there incredible talent), but may I draw attention to the fact that Candide Thovex , the winner of the FWT and IMO the man behind the sickest Ski shorts ever released (www.candidekamera.com), was knocked out of this competition by Sammy Carlson

To Quote Freeskier "Winner: Sammy Carlson, 63%-37% Team Sammy absolutely pummeled Candide's camp in this semi-final matchup. The TGR/PBP athlete used his Dew tour and X Games podiums to propel him past the legendary Thovex. It seems that Candide's win at Linecatcher and Freeride World Tour title just wasn't enough to take out the 3x Freeskier cover boy."

Now as many of us have seen Sammy Carlson absolutely kills it and I am in no way denying that, but personally I think there is no better all round skier in the world than the aforementioned Frenchman. To have him "absolutely pummelled" in this popularity contest of a competition has no more relevance to his perspective positioning in this completely unquantifiable subjective competition than the winner of X Factor/American Idol does to the leading Musical Talents of the respective countries.

Summary

Freeskiers target market are 14 year olds, most of those 14 year olds were the same as me when I was 14 in that they probably predominately ski park, are pretty retarded, and don't really know what it takes to be a real accomplished all around "freeskier". Pointless pointing out of the completely obvious over

Quote Originally Posted by thisisastickup View Post
    I'll never understand this board's endless hate for the guy.
    Like some others, I see it less as hate, and more as don't give a fuck.

He fucking kills it, he's better at what he does than anyone on TGR, and he fucking kills it.
    I hope you mean "at what he does" as in park and urban. If you think he is a better skier than anyone on TGR, no way. When he can put together a line line Alka in the final segment of this year's MSP flick then he will be more my type of skier. It is not meant to offend him, or put him down, I'm just not into park/urban stuff.

What I find funny, is not TWall, but his obsessive fans. I read a Freeskier interview with him and he sounded very solid, like a really good guy. I think he even said something along the lines of "my roommates would have voted for Candide," which shows he has a healthy respect for those who paved the way for him.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

Quote Originally Posted by Long duc dong View Post
    Like some others, I see it less as hate, and more as don't give a fuck.
    if they really didn't give a fuck, then they wouldn't come up with some half-assed attempt at a witty comment about freeskier's selection.
    No kick turns
    No mercy

he's better at what he does than anyone on TGR, and he fucking kills it.
    Could be true since Seth threw a hissy and left

Maybe Tom will have a sweet wii game made for himself like shawn white did!

Quote Originally Posted by grubbers View Post
    if they really didn't give a fuck, then they wouldn't come up with some half-assed attempt at a witty comment about freeskier's selection.
    I'm pretty sure most people on this board don't give a fuck. There are not many people here posting in this thread.

Personally, I do care(a bit). I actually read Freeskier, and sometimes like what they have to say. It's not Powder, but I think it is good to other mags involved in the industry.

Truth be told, this is not even Freeskier's selection. It is the people who voted online. It is not the Freeskier editors doing the picking.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

Quote Originally Posted by Long duc dong View Post
    I hope you mean "at what he does" as in park and urban. If you think he is a better skier than anyone on TGR, no way. When he can put together a line line Alka in the final segment of this year's MSP flick then he will be more my type of skier. It is not meant to offend him, or put him down, I'm just not into park/urban stuff.

What I find funny, is not TWall, but his obsessive fans. I read a Freeskier interview with him and he sounded very solid, like a really good guy. I think he even said something along the lines of "my roommates would have voted for Candide," which shows he has a healthy respect for those who paved the way for him.
    I definitely meant it in that way. I don't see wallisch ever becoming the all around skier that, say, Candide is. I was just saying that there isn't anyone who skis park as well as Tom does, period. Even when he isn't filming, he does shit so ridiculously well that it's hard to believe.

You're also right about him being a real nice guy. Definitely not full of himself or anything, he knows his place in skiing for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by westoxified View Post
    Tom Wallisch earns title as most marketable skier of the year. how much is TNF paying him now?

in other news, I cast my vote for Jon Olsson

Wallisch is on the last part of this video in the yellow and black suit 2:45. He is a super mellow and humble guy. Great skier as well and for sure focused on comps and freestyle right now.
    "Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention to arrive safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow!!! What a ride!"

"We been runnin' these goddam hills for dang near, huh?"
    Sturgis Uncensored

gunit130 Guest
    TGR420,

Would you ever try to bring the Level 1/PBP skiers to TGR?

I don't see wallisch ever becoming the all around skier that, say, Candide is.
    careful of what you say... Park to Big Mountain crossovers kill it hard, just as bump to big mountain skiers did before...

I just want to point out that to get this sort of award, as top freeskier, they should be skilled in all ski disciplines. From my humble perch, neither Wallisch nor Hill fit this honor...
    Sage, Sammy, Candide etc all would.

Also, in his interview, Tom said he (and his roommates) would have voted Candide over himself.

Not denying Mr. Wallisch's talent one bit, obviously he is an outstanding rider. Perhaps he should have won best park skier and the Freeskier award should have given out the award to someone who spends more time riding mountains instead of rails and park jumps. In the end you can take the award for what it's worth, just a internet popularity contest. Congratulations Tom.

Quote Originally Posted by gunit130 View Post
    TGR420,

Would you ever try to bring the Level 1/PBP skiers to TGR?
    We actually shot this video. We work with some of the same guys from there like Wiley, Sammy Carlson, Nick Martini, Byron Wells, and Wallisch.
    "Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention to arrive safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow!!! What a ride!"

"We been runnin' these goddam hills for dang near, huh?"
    Sturgis Uncensored

gunit130 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by TGR420 View Post
    We actually shot this video. We work with some of the same guys from there like Wiley, Sammy Carlson, Nick Martini, Byron Wells, and Wallisch.
    Oh right on, thanks.

how did anyone who's name is not Henrik Winstedt, Candide Thovex or Sean Pettit win this piece of shit poll. Actually Jon Olsson should've because he started a WC GS the same season as getting a big air podium and doing dub 12s.

Tandem flips?
    Terje was right.

"We're all kooks to somebody else." -Shelby Menzel

Hey, why don't you all go and cry about it a bit more? All Greg Hill did was climb up and ski down. He walked a long way, good for him. I could do that if I was jobless ski bum.

Tom on the other hand has the best trick bag and style in the game. A big mountain skier will never win, because there is no skill involved in it. When I started over 15 years ago, it was because it was an easy alternative to moguls.

Quote Originally Posted by LaGrave View Post
    A big mountain skier will never win, because there is no skill involved in it.
    Maybe the most ludicrous statement I've ever seen on TGR.

Obvious troll is obvious.
    "Nothing is funnier than Hitler." - Smokey McPole

As said earlier....

Jon, Abma, Candide, Sage, Sean Pettit, all should have been high on the list, and even in the park jib exclusive scene, who could not vote for Bobby Brown... after two X golds and BANGER segments.... pshhh..

I guess I'm just hatin' though.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

I know I will get flamed here, but isn't it good enough for some of you that there are people out there trying to push our sport? Yeah, so he doesn't ski backcountry, wears clothes you and I don't like. Do I laugh at the way he wears clothes? Yeah. And he probably thinks I dress like a fucking jerk off.

This whole NS vs TGR thing is just fucking whacked.

Flame on.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    This just in...
    The readers of teenbeat magazine voted Justin Bieber recording artist of the year
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno