Thermofit liners - DIY or take it to a shop?

Is there any reason I should consider getting thermofit liners done at a shop as a opposed to just popping them in the oven and doing it myself (as per the very old Cooking with Big Tim instructions, or these instructions)?

If forming the thermofit liners at home - anyone have any tips to make sure I do it properly?

you want this:

http://tetongravity.com/forums/showt...ght=intuitions

i especially like the old franken binding/boot opener thing.
    In search of the elusive artic powder weasel ...

Just make sure that you have a good toe cap and you will be fine to do them yourself. I also recommend a really cold beer to go along with the process.

Take them to a shop. Even with a purpose built boot oven, good toe-caps and tools, and experience molding hundreds of boots for customers, I still find it a bit challenging to mold my own boots and do a good job of it. It's way easier if another person who knows what they're doing is helping keep the liner straight, unwrinkled, etc, particularly if the shell fit is on the tighter side of things.

This is assuming that you have a liner of at least reasonable quality (Intuition or Palau). If you're talking about Black Diamond liners or one of the chintzy pieces of shit that most alpine boot manufacturers call liners, you could just do it yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    Take them to a shop. Even with a purpose built boot oven, good toe-caps and tools, and experience molding hundreds of boots for customers, I still find it a bit challenging to mold my own boots and do a good job of it. It's way easier if another person who knows what they're doing is helping keep the liner straight, unwrinkled, etc, particularly if the shell fit is on the tighter side of things.

This is assuming that you have a liner of at least reasonable quality (Intuition or Palau). If you're talking about Black Diamond liners or one of the chintzy pieces of shit that most alpine boot manufacturers call liners, you should just replace them with intuitions
    fixed it for ya
    Quote Originally Posted by Smoke
    Cell phones are great in the backcountry. If you're injured, you can use them to play Tetris, which helps pass the time while waiting for cold embrace of Death to envelop you.

Does anybody know if the old Salomon chimney heaters (from at least 3 or 4 years ago, for heating their "moldable" liners of the time) reach the correct temperature to cook Intuitions? I have access to one of those, but there's no numeric gauge on it, just a sort of "up" indication around the knob.

Quote Originally Posted by DerJaeger View Post
    Is there any reason I should consider getting thermofit liners done at a shop as a opposed to just popping them in the oven and doing it myself (as per the very old Cooking with Big Tim instructions, or these instructions)?

If forming the thermofit liners at home - anyone have any tips to make sure I do it properly?
    I've done dozens and dozens of pairs of Intuitions. If you decide to do it yourself I can help you out. I'll talk to you about it next time I see you at the bike park.

Quote Originally Posted by MrDirt View Post
    I've done dozens and dozens of pairs of Intuitions. If you decide to do it yourself I can help you out. I'll talk to you about it next time I see you at the bike park.
    Much appreciated! These are the stock liners for a new pair of boots, so I'm guessing not as finicky as Intuitions.
    Last edited by DerJaeger; 10-22-2010 at 10:04 AM.

If they are just the stock liners, see if a local shop with stick them on their blower for free. I know mine offered to, and in the "shop mags, what do you charge" thread, a few others said they do as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Smoke
    Cell phones are great in the backcountry. If you're injured, you can use them to play Tetris, which helps pass the time while waiting for cold embrace of Death to envelop you.

I've done it both ways, both work. If your shop is cheap have them do it, but if they want full pop, do it yourself.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot