Check Out Our Shop
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Smith Vantage

Smith Vantage

Anyone have any experience with Smith's new helmet? Right now it's a tossup for me between the Vantage, and the Variant I have fucking hated the 2 other lower end helmets I own, and wanted to go a little more spendy to make myself happy.

IB4 try them on JONG!
    Training for Alpental

I am in the same situation, I broke 4 variant brims last year. I have a voucher for a helmet, and I trying decide if I should try the Vantage.

Quote Originally Posted by iamTRuTH View Post
    I am in the same situation, I broke 4 variant brims last year. I have a voucher for a helmet, and I trying decide if I should try the Vantage.
    You know the goal is to land on your feet, right.

Smith Vantage

No question the Vantage is the best helmet on the market. It is the top of the line, cross breed of the Variant Brim and the Maze (11 oz total weight). for venting, two options, one over the front of the helmet and one to the rear, to dial in the air flow... Bottom line: Super Light, super comfortable, Stlyee and like iamTRuTH pointed to, sick warranty...

Quote Originally Posted by bushman View Post
    You know the goal is to land on your feet, right.
    I wish I was that hardcore . I managed to break the snap for the goggles, the snap on the inside that keeps the helmet in place. All were easy warranty issues that Smith was great about fixing. The last fell apart late in the year and they were out of my color, so they gave me a credit for this year. My blog is now done.

I never liked Smith helmets. How about the Giro G10mx?

I've gone from a Giro Omen to the Smith Vantage.I could never get the fit right with the Omen, always had headaches after a couple of hours use (probably due to the plastic adjustment straps).
    The Vantage seems to just fit me better & the vents work a little better than the Omen, more of them.
    It sits under my jacket hood without restriction, more room than Omen which is a plus in shitty weather.
    I just hope it lasts sounds like they had a few problems with the Variant.

I lucked into a vantage late last season, and I have to say I'm a fan. It doesn't feel quite as close to the top of the head as the variant did, but it is definitely lighter and more venty. Also, if you're getting a free helmet why not go for the most expensive one?
    "Papa Muntz loved skiing, papa Muntz loved drinking, but what he loved most was drinking and skiing."

Quote Originally Posted by BroGnar View Post
    I lucked into a vantage late last season, and I have to say I'm a fan. It doesn't feel quite as close to the top of the head as the variant did, but it is definitely lighter and more venty. Also, if you're getting a free helmet why not go for the most expensive one?
    That is my theory, plus I like he goggle snap attachment on the Vantage better.

Ha Ha thats funny. When I read "I broke 4 varient brims last year", all I could picture was you comin in inverted off a kicker. Over and over.

Quote Originally Posted by BroGnar View Post
    exactly my thoughts, a buddy of mine just got the vantage and I have a VB, the only diff I've noticed are the extra vents(would be nice for tours/hiking) and the fact is a bit lighter.

How does it fit in a pack compared to other helmets? I have a Giro Fuse that is a POS (semi-vital bits keep breaking off), but it is light and fairly small compared to other helmets. The Giro Omen seemed sturdier but it is significantly heavier.

The Vantage is to Variant Brim what an Audi S8 or is to an A8--both are tits, the Vantage is just a bit tittier. Disclaimer: I've never driven either.

Or...if you're a Giro fan, just wait a year. They've been copying all of Smith's product for the past year or two, so they should have a Vantage out next year.
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    How does it fit in a pack compared to other helmets? I have a Giro Fuse that is a POS (semi-vital bits keep breaking off), but it is light and fairly small compared to other helmets. The Giro Omen seemed sturdier but it is significantly heavier.
    I spent a lot of the season toting a Vantage in the helmet compartment of my Black Diamond pack, no problem. Not sure if that helps.
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

Put the helmet on your head. I LOVE the Variant, but I doesn't fit me. I actually found that the Smith Holt was the best fit for my head.

Buy the helmet that fits you best. Helmets (like boots) should not be purchased online.
    Last edited by skimaxpower; 09-14-2010 at 11:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kimsmarkin View Post
    Smith Town Labyrinth features clean, modern, design minamalist all molded in the snow world's lightest helmet certificate. Think of the elegant style of skating Smith Holt helmet, but 10 times lighter.
    Ummm....What?

1 mile from N. America's biggest chairlift
    I skied in the Vantage everyday last season from January till May. It held up great and I am looking forward to using it again this year. I was a never a fan of the brim on the Variant Brim, but this little mini brim on the Vantage is just right.
    Rocket Sleds and Super Space Boots

I was in a Variant last year and I just received a Vantage to review. Before I do a comprehensive in depth review, the two initial pluses of the Vantage, much lighter and a better design for ventilation.
    Click. Point. Chute.

For those of you that switched from the VB to the Vantage how is the fit between the two? Pretty similar? Different pressure points (oval vs. round fit)? I've been in the VB for a few years and need a new helmet so I was thinking of making the switch to the Vantage, but haven't found one to try on yet.

I just picked up a Vantage today. Only paid 167 so I was pleased. It's it's so light, and low profile. The goggle clip is smart, and simple. And the venting is sweet. It feels like nothing on my head. And the brim is JUST RIGHT. I'm in love.
    Training for Alpental

Quote Originally Posted by PhiberAwptik View Post
    I just picked up a Vantage today. Only paid 167 so I was pleased. It's it's so light, and low profile. The goggle clip is smart, and simple. And the venting is sweet. It feels like nothing on my head. And the brim is JUST RIGHT. I'm in love.
    Right on. Keep us updated with what you think...we do listen!

Dear Smith guys that listen:

Better colors on the helmets. Check out what POC is doing. Every Vantage/Variant is boring and only a few of the park helmets are different.
    dayglo aerobic enthusiast

You Steeze whore...I know you want a hot pink POC bucket.

My two cents, is that I am sick of my Variant Brim breaking (two years in a row now), so I will try the Vantage this year. I really like how low profile it is, but I may end up in the same situation with breakage: The head-fit thingy system slider domahiggie thing cracked in half for me two years in a row.

Other than that, I love their helmets as they fit so well and match up with my way too large Smith Goggle collection really nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Daywalker View Post
    Dear Smith guys that listen:

Better colors on the helmets. Check out what POC is doing. Every Vantage/Variant is boring and only a few of the park helmets are different.
    You should have been here yesterday!

Quote Originally Posted by PowTron View Post
    You Steeze whore...I know you want a hot pink POC bucket.
    Darnit, I should NOT have gone to the POC website to check out this hot pink helmet. They've even improved their colors from last year. Now I should NOT go find a store that sells POC to see how the fit is.

Hot pink or purple... and I could accessorize with different goggle colors...

Damn, I'm shallow.
    dayglo aerobic enthusiast

Ski & Golf has the pink ones, 5 minutes from my house...let me know what you want.
    You should have been here yesterday!