Page 5 of 252 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
    VC is offline Calmer then you are Dude
    http://blogs.powdermag.com/industry-...-snowboarding/

Heli-skiing next year out of truckee.

"Those who book early in this season will be rewarded with first descents on several runs as most of our terrain has never been skied or boarded."

Quote Originally Posted by DHogg View Post
    I'm coming back for another season in tahoe. Anyone know of any rooms available? Arriving 13th Dec. Extremely early to be looking I know, but whatever.
    Where about? I'm looking for a place around Trukee/North shore for Dec-Feb. I'll be cutting the season short and heading to NZ in March.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Don't Surf View Post
    Where about? I'm looking for a place around Trukee/North shore for Dec-Feb. I'll be cutting the season short and heading to NZ in March.
    Preferably in Tahoe city since i'll be skiing Alpine, but working at Homewood. It's right in the middle so pretty ideal.

NZ in March? I'm from NZ and will probably be heading back for our winter unless I find something better- but skiing doesn't properly start here till late June at least.

Currently booked to fly back in May.
    My drinking buddies say i have a skiing problem...

Quote Originally Posted by kona12 View Post
    Sweet, let me know what comes up! We probably wont be chasing September turns for another week or two. I have never summited Lola but I did catch many fish from a stream on its flank when hiking the PCT in the area several years ago.

I will have to check a map because that may work. You can actually drive up the Jackson Meadows rd, head south right before Weber lake and find a place to park just off the PCT. It has been a few years but I remember the Lola trail not being to far?
    You can drive to White Rock Lake and Lola isn't too far past that.

Last edited by mmcpheet; 09-06-2010 at 04:14 PM. Reason: pic

google earth shows a few options to get there.... looks like there may even be some dirt roads that get you in close.... but can't tell if they are better options than heading to the lake and hiking from there....

how long the hike is from the lake?
    “83.2% of people make up their own statistics.”—Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by VC View Post
    "Those who book early in this season will be rewarded with first descents on several runs as most of our terrain has never been skied or boarded."
    Bwahahaha....

never?

ha!

I've spent quite a bit of time in the area north of Truckee, and I know a few others who have done WAY more than me.

never been skied..??....grumble..grumble..

That said, it is mostly unused by backcountry skiers due to difficulty of access (long approaches). There are a few places you can use snowmachines to good advantage, but a heli would be great. A good choice for this type of operation, because it also avoids a lot of residential areas. No designated Wilderness. Much less chance for conflict with bitchy neighbors and granola eating bc hippies.
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Quote Originally Posted by HiGrade1 View Post
    google earth shows a few options to get there.... looks like there may even be some dirt roads that get you in close.... but can't tell if they are better options than heading to the lake and hiking from there....

how long the hike is from the lake?
    We wheeled in to white rock lake yesterday. The climb up Lola is very short. The south west ridge from white rock lake is really mellow. I didn't do it, but it looked like about 30 min in summer. I can't wait to get my sled up there next winter!

Quote Originally Posted by telemike View Post
    granola eating bc hippies.
    bah as long as they dont take my granola I am fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    Do you have one of those gay ass stickers on your car? If so, I'll bet money youre an uptight passive aggressive fucktard that hates anyone different than them, yet loves to pay lip service to 'tolerance'.

People with coexist stickers are ALMOST as bad as tele skiers, although there is some overlap.

Deeper premiere is in Truckee this friday, anyone going?
    If you french fry when you pizza you're going to have a bad time.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeppelinskier View Post
    bah as long as they dont take my granola I am fine.
    let's hire us a ship, son - I'll supply the granola
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Just flew to NYC and it's hard to tell for sure at 40,000 feet in the air, but it looked like still some snow on Dana and Soulstice Couloirs off of Mt Dana in Tioga.

Quote Originally Posted by skier666 View Post
    Just flew to NYC and it's hard to tell for sure at 40,000 feet in the air, but it looked like still some snow on Dana and Soulstice Couloirs off of Mt Dana in Tioga.
    Pretty sure there still is. There's definitely snow on the Ritter Range to shred as of this weekend, go get it Dooks and Vets!

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

I skied the patches up near Lola today.

The bummer is that the approach is blind (i.e. you can't see the patches other than a brief peek on 89).

I triangulated where I thought they were (and also discussed it with Gone2Alpine who has a buddy that works for the Forest Dept. in that region) and drove up an unmarked logging road (you def need 4x4).

The road I opted for dead-ended with a fallen tree about a mile or so from the saddle to looker's left of Lola.

It took me 1 hour and 45 minutes to hike up and along the ridge to reach the patches.

From the top of the patches I noticed a motorcycle trail that came right to them and also along the hike I crossed a number of other logging roads, which leads me to believe that I probably could have gotten a little closer, but again when you're on the roads you're in the valley and can't see through the trees to view the patches.

From the patches the lake I saw in front, I believe, was Independence Lake and the one that is posted above is behind Lola more towards Castle Peak/Donner Summit way.

For this time of year the approach and effort to reach the patches was a lot, considering what you can find elsewhere (i.e. Roundtop, etc), but it did show me that Lola has a lot of potential lines to hit earlier (i.e. April/May/June/July).

Having a sled would probably be essential before they pop the roads, and again 4X4 is def needed, as well.
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

Great work RF, way to bring the stoke again this year. This thread brings the infoz.

I just moved down here from PDX to call Tahoe my new winter home (sorta), so I'll be checking in here on the reg. Hope I see ya'll out there.

Dooky: I'll amend the photos to this seasons photos

Quote Originally Posted by Skis4Fun View Post
    RaccoonFace -
    I will make these additions

Quote Originally Posted by powdrhound View Post
    RF. Excellent beginning. This is my new home page.
    One request: Can the weather maps be moved UP on the page?

Let it Snow!
    My only concern with this is that you'd have to scroll all the way through the maps to get to anything else... How about I move it above the post 6? If that is what the masses want I'd be happy to make them post 2, again my concern would be scrolling through them. If you'd like to go directly to it you can just click the link I have in post one and not bother scrolling.

Anyone else want this?

Also, the Start Hause in Truckee will be making sweet deals available to mags so I have made a special place for them. I will update when I get the notification to do so and I will let everyone know when it gets updated so you don't miss the good stuff!

I will do my best to make these changes tonight, sorry I've been crazy busy.

okbye
    TELL YOUR BOOBS TO QUIT STARING AT MY EYES!!!1!

Here, I'll help you out:
    Quote Originally Posted by Nobody Famous View Post
    RENO SUPERMOTO

Quote Originally Posted by skier666 View Post
    Beta re: North Peak, Dana and the Pallisades as of mid August:

http://www.supertopo.com/tr/North-Pe...s/t10739n.html

gonna try and get some patch turns in this month with a friend who is trying to get his 13th month in a row.... will feel good just to put my boots on again for the first time since may....
    “83.2% of people make up their own statistics.”—Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer View Post

Whoa, Dana still looks really skiable! shoulda brought my board up this past weekend

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

I can't wait to be back in California. You guys make it look good. Stoked your getting after it.

Hey, I just thought I'd throw on here that the International Snow Science Workshop (ISSW) is coming to Squaw Oct. 17-22. Snow geeks from all over the world will be there teaching classes all week. This is a pretty huge opportunity to get some killer avy education from the best. The website is www.issw2010.com.
    'on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness.' So I got that goin' for me,....which is nice!

Quote Originally Posted by telemike View Post
    let's hire us a ship, son - I'll supply the granola
    I might be living in North Tahoe-lets base out of there.
    i wana get some "first descents" too
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    Do you have one of those gay ass stickers on your car? If so, I'll bet money youre an uptight passive aggressive fucktard that hates anyone different than them, yet loves to pay lip service to 'tolerance'.

People with coexist stickers are ALMOST as bad as tele skiers, although there is some overlap.

Quote Originally Posted by Gopher View Post
    Hey, I just thought I'd throw on here that the International Snow Science Workshop (ISSW) is coming to Squaw Oct. 17-22. Snow geeks from all over the world will be there teaching classes all week. This is a pretty huge opportunity to get some killer avy education from the best. The website is www.issw2010.com.
    Indeed. We should start an attendee thread as it gets closer.
    not counting days 2016-17

Vets is offline Orange Mocha Frappuccino!
    Quote Originally Posted by Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer View Post

Great beta and photos. Kook Chute was looking pretty good last month. I wonder how it is now.

deeper premiere should be fun... Ill be there

Dookey: Nice work on Lola... its confusing around there even in the winter with a sled... logging roads overlapping going every which way!

Quote Originally Posted by SchralphMacchio View Post
    Whoa, Dana still looks really skiable! shoulda brought my board up this past weekend
    Great to see you are getting out and into some elevation. Sounds good.

Models are looking so good these days. And today feels for sure nice. Chopping at the bit down here during this flat spell.