Check Out Our Shop
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Ripped out binding - shop dilemma

I was out getting my August ski day this morning when halfway down my run I found myself suddenly sliding on my ass with one of my skis speeding away from me down the hill. Once I was able to stop myself I thought "what the fuck just happened?" I looked down at my left foot and found the toe piece of my Dynafit binding still firmly clamped to my boot while my ski was 100 feet away from me.

Once I made my way down to the ski, I was pissed to see that the two rearward holes of the toe piece were drilled half over the holes from previously-mounted Fritchis! The old holes were plugged and new new holes were drilled half into the plugs. This seemed to be the cause of the binding tearing out; the two rear screws weren't holding much of anything and it was only a matter of time before the binding torqued out. I'm really happy that this happened on a silly August ski and not on an exposed no-fall-zone winter descent, but I'm still very pissed that a shop would mount bindings like this.

I'm heading into the shop this afternoon with the ski and I'm about ready to bust heads over there, but I'm wondering what I should expect by going into the shop. It's a well-known backcountry ski shop in town and I know a lot of the folks that work there, but mounting skis like this is downright dangerous and now I'm out a pair of skis. The skis themselves are 3 heavy-use seasons old (lots of core shots, etc.) but to me still had a lot of life left as my early- and late-season touring skis. Now I think that they're finally done and I'm out a pair of skis...

Any thoughts from you guys on how best to handle this? Sorry for the long post but I'm hoping some of you guys are itching to solve ski-related problems while waiting for winter to approach. Thanks!

Seems to me that if you can prove that the shop mounted them (which it appears you can), then they owe you a new mount and a replacement ski or skis. It was their fault for mounting them incorrectly so in my mind they ruined your ski.

I doubt the shop will see it that way (I see the glass half empty), but a replacement ski as a result from their negligence seems like the "right" thing to do.

I’d be interested to see what the other mounts look like (heel piece and other ski).
    "That's what she said."

Standing rule. New holes at least 1cm from previous holes. Maybe they didn't get the memo.
    Johnny's only sin was dispair

Use logic. A local ski shop doesn't want a local spreading bad news to other locals. If that doesn't work, try this approach:

Attachment 81828

Its not about how much the skis are worth, its about how much replacement cost is (less sentimental value, of course).

See if they have a decent demo ski you are interested in, or if nothing else get them to pro deal you a new pair. Either way I would leave the shop with a signed pro form for something from a company you want.

That is definitely fucked up and glad you were not hurt. I have found if I take a calm approach and work myself up the chain until I reach the owner if necessary it works out. I say this because it is something to be really pissed about (unknowingly being put at risk), but anger will not help the shop to understand the situation. Save the anger in your pocket as a last resort-then you have something in reserve to use if needed.

they need to be made aware of how the skis were mounted, for sure.

but they don't OWE you anything, so don't walk in like an entitled prick, which is what most people in this thread seem to be suggesting. what specifically did you say when you dropped them off about mounting? what specifically did they say? granted the skis should not have been mounted w/ overlapping holes, but without the entire story, you cannot blame this on them completely.

really all they would need to do is heli-coil all those toe holes (and prolly the other skis?) and you are probably good to go.

if you walk in there wanting to find a mutually positive solution you will get a hell of alot further than demanding shit off them.
    go for rob

www.dpsskis.com

Quote Originally Posted by marshalolson View Post
    really all they would need to do is heli-coil all those toe holes (and prolly the other skis?) and you are probably good to go.

if you walk in there wanting to find a mutually positive solution you will get a hell of alot further than demanding shit off them.
    This 5678

That's all I want; a mutually agreeable solution. I'm more mad about the unknown risk I was put in rather than the holes in my skis. Like I said, I know a lot of the guys in the shop so I don't want to alienate them. I know that they've messed up other mounts in the past as well and I'm aggravated because stuff like this shouldn't come out of a shop like this one.

I'm not expecting a new pair of skis out this (although I'd take them if they offered!) I was just curious for suggestions as to what a proper solution would be. Thanks for the advice everyone. I'm going to walk over there now and see what happens.

I've had success in several of these 'types' of situations by putting the shoe on their foot: 'if you were me, what would you think is a good solution?'

good luck!
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

If this is from where I think it is, then it's not the first mounting issue I've heard from then.. but either way, MO has the sage advice here.

Glad you are OK SNWL
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

The shop i work in would replace the skis with either demos or new skis, we hate getting bad rep. I'd say your entitled to that or at the very lest a pro form deal.

Quote Originally Posted by SkiNowWorkLater View Post
    I know that they've messed up other mounts in the past as well and I'm aggravated because stuff like this shouldn't come out of a shop like this one.
    dude, everyone messes up now and again. that is human nature. it really comes down to how you handle the mistake.
    go for rob

www.dpsskis.com

ask them to install Puder Luder inserts for you
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    dude, everyone messes up now and again. that is human nature. it really comes down to how you handle the mistake.
    Paging Salomon to the wise words phone.
    Shop should have moved ya back or forward or given you the helicoil option, but like marshal or tye said go in level headed point out the mistake and and see what they will do for you show up ranting and threatening to smack people upside the head probably won't get you as much.
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

I definitely feel your pain. I have had two major mounting issues in the North Tahoe area. The first one involved using the wrong size drill bit on a brand new pair of gotamas by a person claiming 20+ years of experience. These ended up being heli-coiled. The second incident involved a remount of the heal pieces 1cm forward due to downsizing my boots on a pair of dynstar legend xxl. I was straightlining through chicken bowl off headwall at squaw through some crude when I looked down to see my left ski missing and was able to maintain my balance, making it to the flat runout. This obviously would have been shitty had I been making a turn or skiing above exposure without a safe runout. Confused, I noticed that my heal piece had ripped off and that the local shop had messed up drilling the new holes. The left back hole of the heel piece had three clean drill holes in a row. The right back hole had two holes, one clean and one plugged with a crack between the two where the screw had ripped through. I ended up bringing these back to the shop to show them what had happened in a very calm manner only to be told that rossignol fks 150 binding are known for ripping out since the screws are positioned to closely. Yes I know that this is a common problem with these bindings, but it was obvious that they screwed up drilling them causing the problem. I didn't go into the shop looking for anything since they were an older pair of skis and was cool the entire time. I really just wanted to show them so they don't screw up in the future. He has definitely hooked me up with tuning after the incident. It is scary to have someone else mount your skis for you since it could easily kill you if they fuck up and you find out at the wrong place and time.

So what's the verdict SkiNow???
    215 to carry and the tour stars laying up

they don't OWE you anything, so don't walk in like an entitled prick, which is what most people in this thread seem to be suggesting.
    took the words out of my mouth. I'd say mostly push for a helia coil remount or the inserts that you could bring in. If the ski has 3 seasons on it and was a rock ski it might be time to let them go. This is why I like to mount my own skis, you always know whats under your feet and you know exactly whose ass to kick when it goes wrong
    Carry on my wayward son...

Quote Originally Posted by Tin_Cup View Post
    So what's the verdict SkiNow???
    Well I took the ski into the shop, explained what happened calmly, let them know that I was pretty upset about it. The shop guy looked at it and agreed that the holes were drilled wrong and apologized. He offered to remount both skis with heli coils and said that he'd make sure they don't come out again. They're also going to put a good tune on them for me, so I guess that's cool.

I suppose it was the best outcome on both sides, especially considering that the skis are almost ready to become firewood, but I'm still apprehensive about taking any other skis of mine there to get mounted or recommending them for mounts to friends. My next mount will probably go to a shop a little further away but that will hopefully give me a little more piece of mind.

Sounds to me like you handled yourself well and the shop did you right. You're getting the ski's back with all the utility you expected plus a free tune. I'll bet if you go back for another mount and kid them about the last time you'll get royal treatment. Least that's how I'd handle it unless I was positive the other shop was the tits.

Like a previous poster said. Any shop(employee) can and will screw up. What's important how the shop handles it.

Sounds to me like it's time to start doing your own mounts! I took that leap last year and the investment is really pretty minimal, you should consider it!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Lachnload View Post
    It is scary to have someone else mount your skis for you since it could easily kill you if they fuck up and you find out at the wrong place and time.
    So mount your own shit. It really isn't that hard.

That goes for the OP too, as JPH and huckster said above.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Quote Originally Posted by JayPowHound View Post
    Sounds to me like it's time to start doing your own mounts! I took that leap last year and the investment is really pretty minimal, you should consider it!!!
    Totally worth it. I also started doing this to save costs and to be sure no suprises are hiding under the binding. Grab a garbage ski and practice on it until you are comfortable, then mount away.

I ended up doing more than my own. It keeps the beer fridge stocked. Plus you get to practice on other peoples stuff so when you get to yours, you know what you're doing.

Johnny's only sin was dispair

Boy is this place slippin' - 23 replies and not one:

TECH TALK, JONG!!