Check Out Our Shop
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

DOES THIS SKI EXIST?

i'm getting pretty tired of looking for "the ski", i've gone through a lot of skis these past years trying to find a ski that kills the pow but is also fun and good on the rest of the mountain after the storm.

Heres the ideal ski for me and if anyone knows of a ski they rode that fits this description please let me know. be much appreciated and also easier on my wallet.

Pow ski, because why would we want to ski anything else. a ski that excels in the deep, wet snow. A ski that you can stand on and push forward and not have tip dive. A ski that handles speed well at a aggressive stance in powder. A ski that ideally can handle steep lines 50 degrees and actually carve/turn on them. not totally sliding sideways.

a ski that can handle groomers, lay over some turns, energitic, lively and with pop. A ski that can handle old wet snow, crud and bumps.
    also get around in tight trees.
    this would be the ultimate ski.

skis that i've tried and owned.
    fattypus allotta, great float, fun to smear but no good on wet groomers/hard groomers and bumps. and also to big underfoot for steeps

icelantic shaman, fun ski for carving and tight trees and even some pow. down fall not fat enough, doesnt handle high speeds very well.

bent chetler, easy to turn, poppy, fun, but doesnt do well in deep pow or high aggressive pow turns.

interested in moment night trains, black diamond meggawatt, or rossy s7. and anything else on these lines.

bottom line, a ski that kills the pow and can handle the snow when its tracked out and pretty fun on groomers and what not when we have to get back to the lodge or lift.

thanks all
    happy huntings.

hybrid wailer 112rp.

I am getting the pure version for wasatch conditions, area & touring. Basically all the things you listed and want to do (or have your ski help you do) are exactly the reasons I am getting these. For heavier snow I imagine the hybrid would be better/damper. i have skied the pures and they were a joy in powder/ chop, and firmer stuff. Worth checking out, although you missed the preseason sale.

I think the S7 could work for you. It's a bit more damp and substantial than the 183 Bent Chetler and slightly better on groomers with better edge grip. Its downfall is big, high speed turns. They feel a bit hooky and really want to engage, more so than the Chetlers I'd say. But as far as compromises go, it's probably the ski I would own if I could only have one ski.

Sounds like a Movement Goliath

If you can find a pair of NTN boots (or you have 26.0 feet) you are welcome to try out any of my K2 stuff next year. I really like the 117 waist obSETHed all over the mountain but I wouldn't classify it as super lively or poppy; it's more of a smooth Caddy ride. I have the 189 which slays all but I think the 179 might be a bit quicker in the tight stuff and still plenty big when it's time to hike.

During my skiing life, one of the two skis that totally blew my mind was the original DB Tabla Rasa. I skied it for three or four days in La Grave in all conditions (except groomers because LG has none), where I discovered it had amazing float at 118mm and was super nimble, stable, light, poppy, and precise. It felt like I had two laser beams attached to my feet (vs. my head).

Many years later, that ski has evolved into the DPS Lotus 120. I have not skied the Lotus 120 and I'm a bit skeptical that it's a Mt. Baker daily driver, but I think either that or 112RP may be what you are looking for.

The other option that I am really intrigued by is the Lib Tech reCURVE NAS POW, and I'm sure you could find a pair around Baker to try for a few runs.
    Putting the "core" in corporate, one turn at a time.

Metalmücil 2010 - 2013 "Go Home" album is now a free download

The Bonin Petrels

dps wailer 112 rp hybrid

i really addresses all of the downsides you have mentioned in a platform that is not hooky and does not prefer "windshield wiper" turns, like the s7 does.
    go for rob

www.dpsskis.com

i'm a big fan of the 105 waist ObSethed. and the new Kastle's are insane fun. stay away from Black Diamond Skis. they always feel hollow and lifeless to me. every pair i've been on has felt railed with impossible turn initiation. more pop= Kastle more caddy feel=K2
    crab in my shoe mouth

Marshall, any thoughts on why the 112RP, with its 16m turning radius (which, as a lover of Lotus 120's, Bros, Exlosives, sounds awful to me), might behave differently than similarly shaped skis I don't care for, such as S7's.

because the sidecut, rocker profile, flex pattern and the way the tip and tail engage when the ski is flexed is totally different than an s7.

i can't say they are without question the right ski for you, but i can say that JUST looking at the static, unflexed sidecut does not tell you remotely the whole story of how they ski.

when the ski is fully loaded and highly angled, it behaves more in the 22-24m radius shape, where the s7 only seems to grow to about 18m, and mostly in the tail (ie more hooky and more weighted back there). this is my personal experiance and feel on the ski, i cannot comment on if this is really happening, only that this is what i am really feeling, while skiing on them.

also, you cannot expect a w112rp to ski like a l120. they are simply different skis. but if you want a pow ski to slay groomers, have life and response in variable snow adn tighter turning spots, and still float like an epic pow ski, then i think the w112rp is the highest performing in that category.
    go for rob

www.dpsskis.com

While I have no problem with BD skis, and love my Megawatts in the deep and soft, I would not recommend them for groomers or steep lines with hard snow. 112RP that the others suggested sounds like a killer ski. Somewhat similar less expensive options for those of us with out huge wallets might include: Lhasa Pow (not that much cheaper I guess), ON3P BGs or Wrens (I haven't been on either though). S7 might be a little soft, and too similar to your Bents, but YMMV. Night Trains might work, but again, are a bit similar to Bents. Maybe not as jibby. Meh, perfect ski... I dunno...
    TRs, photos, videos, and building skis (2 pairs so far...):
    http://wasatchprotocol.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by TeleThor View Post
    While I have no problem with BD skis, and love my Megawatts in the deep and soft, I would not recommend them for groomers or steep lines with hard snow. 112RP that the others suggested sounds like a killer ski. Somewhat similar less expensive options for those of us with out huge wallets might include: Lhasa Pow (not that much cheaper I guess), ON3P BGs or Wrens (I haven't been on either though). S7 might be a little soft, and too similar to your Bents, but YMMV. Night Trains might work, but again, are a bit similar to Bents. Maybe not as jibby. Meh, perfect ski... I dunno...
    hybrid dps w112rp are $799, available to pre-order, right now.
    go for rob

www.dpsskis.com

Night Trains work for me (though I don't ski 50-degree slopes).

Quote Originally Posted by TeleThor View Post
    While I have no problem with BD skis, and love my Megawatts in the deep and soft, I would not recommend them for groomers or steep lines with hard snow. Somewhat similar less expensive options for those of us with out huge wallets might include: Lhasa Pow (not that much cheaper I guess)
    Full hybrid Lhasas are $720 on the maggot summer preorder.
    They'll be pushing over $1,000 this fall.

movement goliaths

Skibum - the movement goliath is the ski you are after. it is a fairly burly ski especially compared to most skis with dimensions and camber designed for powder. The middle section is very stout and absolutely flattens the cut up - which is especially nice with PNW snow. The tip has an early rise to it and floats no matter what, so you can rail into the turn with impunity regardless of what is going on below you. very special ski. I am 175 lbs and sometimes it feels like a bit too much ski so I am not convinced its the holy grail for me - but its as close as I have found for a do everything PNW ski.

The other ski that a friend who has about 30 lbs on me really likes for what you are describing is the prior overlord. Its the same idea as the goliath, but requires probably even a bit more muscle to be in the sweet spot.

The non-rockered 09/10 184 D-Sender from Fatypus for $440. Sounded like you like the Allotta and the D-sender might provide that all mountain ski you are looking for.

If you like flat tails and longer radius, the Lhasa is a ski I would seriously consider (without having tried it). On paper it seems to be a good answer to the versatility of S7-like skis while incorporating a flat tail for better stability and a longer radius for reduced hookiness. The rocker is subtle, leaving a relatively long contact length and the big tip should keep you floating.

thanks everyone for the feed back.
    about the ski radius, i'm not a big fan of a ski that takes a year to lay over, i use to ride the legend pros which were great in big open areas but once i took em in bounds i felt i had to fight the ski a lot. So ideally a ski that can handle big open terrain but can lay over when i want, (which is way the shamans are a super fun ski inbounds), as prob guess i ride baker a lot, so the backcountry is pretty open. Hence wanting a ski that can handle the pow fields and speeds, but also since i ride baker, it tends to be tight in bounds, and get cut up fast = wet, heavy nasty bumps. this means a ski that needs to handle that too.

i'll look into the hybrid dps w112rp
    as well as the i rocks.
    feel that movement goliaths at a 191 might be too big for me.
    i'm about 165 depending and ski pretty agressive but also techinical.

thanks and any other ideas i will welcome.

just read about the dps W112rp.
    my concern would be not big enough underfoot.
    if i'm having trouble floating on 124, then 112 seems a little small.

second the sizes come in 178 and 190. seem like i would need more 185 for a ski that handles in bounds and can get around in tight spots. but i may be wrong.

not sure how a 190 can have a 16 m turn radius though.
    any thoughts?

If you're having trouble floating on 124 then it's either too stiff for you, the mount position is wrong, or the ski sucks. Or any combo of the three.

Given the shape of the 112, I bet you'd find it impossible to sink the tips even though it's narrower underfoot than your usual ride. I felt the same way going to the 117 waist obSETHed after Pontoons and Darksides, but with that amount of tip rocker it doesn't really matter.

Speaking of not really mattering, when it's good you're either hiking the Arm or hiking somewhere else. You already have Shamans which rip up the inbounds bumpy stuff when it's tracked out and you don't feel like hiking. You want a ski like the Lotus 120 which I'm sure would be more than tolerable on those "from 5 to 8" or "down the Canyon after Elf" groomers and probably yeehaw in the pow where you want to be anyways. Baker groomers are to get you to/from the goods; they're not the goods themselves. Buy a ski that excels where you want it to excel.

The Bonin Petrels

totally agree with you, but even though we get pow, it tends to leave quick on the days that the light isn't good enough for the arm, or stable enough to ride bc.
    i agree, i have fat skis, they do well in the pow, but sad to say all skiing isn't pow skiing. would like to have fun on the way to the lift or from ebow through gobles and not feeling ones about to die.
    i know theres not really a ski that does it all, but be great to have a ski that does a lot of it. Rather have only three pairs of skis instead of 8. Most of all rather ride one ski on a pow day, all day and still be smiling at the end of the day as one does at the beginning.
    how did you like the k2 obsethed, i haven't ridden a k2 ski in years, but hear they do pretty good. k2 skis tend to like the nw snow.
    cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by skibum.roberts View Post
    totally agree with you, but even though we get pow, it tends to leave quick on the days that the light isn't good enough for the arm, or stable enough to ride bc.
    i agree, i have fat skis, they do well in the pow, but sad to say all skiing isn't pow skiing. would like to have fun on the way to the lift or from ebow through gobles and not feeling ones about to die.
    i know theres not really a ski that does it all, but be great to have a ski that does a lot of it. Rather have only three pairs of skis instead of 8. Most of all rather ride one ski on a pow day, all day and still be smiling at the end of the day as one does at the beginning.
    how did you like the k2 obsethed, i haven't ridden a k2 ski in years, but hear they do pretty good. k2 skis tend to like the nw snow.
    cheers.
    The new obSETHed is the best quiver of 1 that I've ever had, after the old obSETHed and then my flat-Made'n w/ Pontoon tip rockered skis.

I had three categories of ski (four skis total w/ a mid-season swap) get me through last season:

10/11 189 Darkside was my Sept-Jan big gun and was replaced by the 10/11 189 obSETHed in March. NTN.

09/10 179 obSETHed was my "little" ski for inbounds and harder snow, but it's certainly not useless in pow. NTN.

179 Coomback-rockered Made'n mold skis w/ Dynafits for full-on touring (experimental - used twice).

Every once in a while I'd hitch up to Baker with only one pair of skis and think that I'd brought the "wrong" pair, but there really isn't a "wrong" ski in that quiver.

If you're dead set on a quiver of one for Baker, the waist dimensions you're looking at are in the 110-120mm range.

The Bonin Petrels

I rode goliaths for a season or so...not what I'd call a good tree ski. They definitely prefer haul ass big radius turns.

anybody got insight on i-rock by fatty-pus? mostly how they handle through cut up, groomers etc. sure they float, its fatty right.

Read a review on here where the person skied the dsender, alotta and I-rock on the same day. He described the I-rock as playful.
    Last edited by cat in january; 07-18-2010 at 03:50 PM.

Maybe look at the Fatypus I-Rock.

[ame="http://www.tetongravity.com/Forums/showthread.php?t=175267"]Fatypus I-Rock - Teton Gravity Research Forums[/ame]
    Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    I suggest we do more airmchair QBing with no facts except as stated in the article.