Check Out Our Shop

tell me about canoes

i'm looking to buy a used canoe at some point this summer as some recently developed knee issues will limit the amount of hiking i'll be able to do. i've done a little window shopping and got some advice on what to look for, but i'm still a bit overwhelmed by everything that's out there.

basically, i'm looking for a boat to use mainly for river trips (day and eventually multi-day), with the occasional paddle on lakes. i don't have much canoeing experience, so i'll be avoiding any whitewater for a while, but i would like to have a boat that can handle some easier whitewater at some point in the future. definitely looking for a tandem boat, but it would be nice to have something i could paddle just by myself on those days when i've got nothing to do.

what i've been told is that i'm looking for something around 16' in length with a little bit of rocker. something along the lines of the bell chestnut prospector, but i doubt i'll find one of those used anytime soon. definitely not looking for a kevlar boat as they are expensive and i can see myself being a little clumsy with the boat at first.

i'm even open to picking up a boat that needs some work done to it as i used to help out with a bit of canoe repair at my job a few summers back. installing composite or aluminum rails is fairly easy and i'd probably want some anyway as they require almost no regular maintenance.

i'm looking for some more recommendations as to what i should be looking for in a boat and if anyone has any good ideas on where to find a reasonably priced boat in the northeast. i would be stoked if i could find something for around $500 or less. i'm not looking for a pretty boat, just something that works.

For your first all-around canoe, I would highly recommend the Grumman aluminum canoe. Sure it's heavier than some, but these things are practically bullet-proof and super rugged. About the only way to kill them is to send them through the turbines of a hydro-electric dam.

They are (were?) built by Grumman, a company that originally built airplanes (and Northrup-Grumman STILL produces fighter jets), so their quality standards and riviting are first-rate.

Old, used Grumman 17s can usually be had for a song, sometimes as low as fifty bucks! at garage sales, and actually have quite beautiful, traditional lines. They have just enough rocker and they paddle lazy slack water like a dream and are probably one of the most stable canoes I have ever had the pleasure to paddle. Good chance one of these rivited babies will outlast you. You can't say the same thing for the snooty, ultra-light kevlar jobs.
    "Ya just can't kill a Grumman"

Last edited by Alaskan Rover; 06-03-2010 at 11:55 AM.

Anything by old town they are relatively inexpensive and last forever the guide models are smaller and narrower (i think) with a smidge of rocker while the discovery boats are bigger and wider and can handle a much larger load with no rocker, I have personally taken a discovery down the blackfoot (class II - III) from roundup down to the dam during runoff by myself with some gear and no trouble. They are great boats and easy to find used

Discovery's kick ass.
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's