cleaning rat fieces out of a ski bag: dead serious

When getting my dakine concourse bag out of my outdoor closet on my deck I discovered that a rat chose my bag as a home for the winter.
    The damn thing chewed some of the foam, and left me TONS of little presents everywhere. And they smell horrific.

I didnt have time to fully clean it, since my flight was in 4 hours.

I hit it with disinfectant and a shit ton of fabreeze. The smell is less intense, but my hands still smell like rat shit after touching the bag.

Before I declare chemical war on it, does anyone have any tips for removing stank, the "stickyness" of rat shit, and the bacteria from nylon like this?

no, im not kidding, this is actually a real question
    Live

prolly just easier to buy a new bag, but a good wash in bleach should do the trick. Dont know what it will do to the color, but im guessing that isnt all that important.

im strongly considering setting fire to it
    Live

Mouse/rat shit is serious shit, no shit:

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/diseases/h...frames/FAQ.htm

Rat urine is nasty.Come across it all the time in attic work.Burn the bag........

hantavirus is serious shit, but it's communicated to humans through breathing deer mouse turd dust. And very few deer mice carry hantavirus. I've heard of one or two hantavirus/human issues in WA. (One was a guy in or around Yakima who breathed in the deer mouse turd dust in a crawlspace.)

I cannot count the times I've encountered deer mouse turds in my stuff upon returning to camp after a climb. I'm still alive.

You should be fine if you get rid of the rodent turds and thoroughly wash it out. Just don't breathe in the rodent turd dust.
    Last edited by Big Steve; 03-16-2010 at 07:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by skiingsamurai View Post
    im strongly considering setting fire to it
    Your only option really.

vermin suck

torch the bag of rat shit yesterday

Hugh Conway Guest
    suck the fuck up faggot, use a vacuum, a hose + soap and a brush and stop being a cunt

if you're desperate and cheap just start cleaning the fuck out of the bag with tons of bleach and soap but you'll probably never fully get rid of the stench... if you can afford a cell phone you can afford a new bag...

after ripping down and cleaning my finished basement ceiling that was home to a few generations of rats i can honestly say the smell is a bitch to get rid of... i can still smell it oozing out through a hole in the drywall under my sink down there... awful awful fuckers they are...

Best would be to clean with bleach, but then your bag will stank like bleach. Just go for a new bag.
    Ελευθερία ή θάνατος
    "Great moments are born from great opportunity."

get a cat. seriously.

First month after we moved into our new house, the cats were nowhere to be found. We thought they ran away, got lost. Turns out they were on search and destroy missions, in the walls and along the ceiling joists.

Dead mice presents started showing up on our bed.

I found mouse turds in our garage once after that.
    Put cats in the garage for a week.

Haven't seen one in 5 years, and we live next to giant un-farmed fields.

The bag is done, man.

I had a mouse decide to crawl into my helmet one summer. First day of the season I take it out and there's a little mouse carcass, with mouse shit in it. I threw the helmet outside for 2 years, and the smell wouldn't come out. It's now been five years since the mouse death, and that fucking helmet still smells.

I really have no clue why I still have the helmet in my possession. But whenever people come to the ski house I tell them to take a whiff of the helmet. But yeah, 5 years, and there's still the faint smell of mouse.

Maybe I can fill the helmet with beer, and if someone loses in a drinking game they have to drink from the mouse coffin.

I tried bleaching and scrubbing the fuck out of it yesterday. Still sticky and stinks thismorning. Threw it in the bin.
    Kinda sad, it was still in great shape despite 5 years of airline abuse.
    Ill be replacing it with the same bag.

Now im really glad I stabbed the rat with a ski pole, little fucker
    Live

Not quite as good as a maul, but close.
    It doesn't matter if you're a king or a little street sweeper...
    ...sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper
    -Death

Quote Originally Posted by St. Jerry View Post
    The other morning I was awoken to "Daddy, my fart fell on the floor"
    Kaz is my co-pilot

I tried bleaching and scrubbing the fuck out of it yesterday. Still sticky and stinks thismorning. Threw it in the bin.
    Kinda sad, it was still in great shape despite 5 years of airline abuse.
    Ill be replacing it with the same bag.

Dude, you should have bought it one of those plastic balls to run around in.
    Take it on the slopes with you, tie a string to it, roll it down the mountain etc...

Is it too late to pull it out of the trash and burn it? I would thoroughly enjoy seeing some pics of the burning mouse house.....