Check Out Our Shop

Thread: MTB Protection

MTB Protection

I am looking at getting my first set of pads. I am not a downhiller or freerider, but more all-mountain, Super-D, XC, etc.. focused. No real shuttling, so I need something I can pedal in.

Is the thought of wearing some knee, elbow, shin, etc.. pads, but not wearing a full-face helmet nor flat pedals, ridiculous or is it not that uncommon?

Any experience with the Evo D30 stuff? Is it worth the huge premium over other soft pads and over the hard stuff? The price difference seems huge. What kind pads would you personally wear in SuperD races?

thanks in advance for any thoughts or suggestions you might have.

Suggestion:

Buy my used once or twice 661 Kyle Strait knee pads (size medium) in perfect condition for $25 shipped

I am going to try some pads on this weekend, but I would be surprised if I am a medium. 6'2, 185 pounds with bigger than average legs.

x2 on the kyle straits. love mine.

Bumping for more opinions.

What are you guys using and liking?

Tried on some 661 D30 knees and liked them but both M and L fit, didn't notice much difference. Feels like smaller may stay in postion better and bigger may, if only slightly, offer more ventilation due to larger gaps. Probably go smaller but was surprised fitting M at 6'1", 190ish lbs and muscular legs.

And really wanted to try the shins but nobody had any. Should I decide on size based on length mostly? Larges I'm assuming.

I'm using the Specialized Rocca knee/shin and love 'em. Stay put, articulate in just the right spots and they take a helluva hit. I forgot them once last week and felt naked without them. Don't get just knee or shin pads, waste of money, gotta have the combo.

For elbow/forearm go with what fits. Sometimes it will be stuff for hockey or something other than bike specific.

Of course it's ridiculous to not ride flats but we'll still like you

looking for some new elbow pads

have these terrible things

that always end up on my wrists after one bump

any suggestions?

these look bomber, but i aint paying $80 for elbow pads

and ebay has some gems. these are soooo hot right now
    http://cgi.ebay.com/My-Little-Pony-p...#ht_500wt_1154

anybody used these? O'Neal Dirt Knee guards

The price is lower than the 661, that mixed with the fact they are designed to be used with shinguards if wanted has me looking real hard. I know that you can do that with 661 evos but at $200 vs $100.

I like the idea of being able to put the shin guards on at the top of the hill. I am also look at the Troy Lee Lopes which also have this ability they just seem a little bulkier. The shin guard looks as if though it would be easier to put on though.

Opinions? Recommendations?
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

just use soccer shin guards under long socks. very cheap and just as much protection.

661 veggie shin guards is all I need for xc and a helmet.

Quote Originally Posted by Chugachjed View Post
    661 veggie shin guards is all I need for xc and a helmet.
    Yeah thats all I should need but I have been using flats for the first time in years and I am huge wuss. I just want knees for the more mellow stuff but also want something I can throw on the shins when I am going down or am doing something techie. Ill admit it, the staitline pins scare me
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

I really like the Kyle strait knee guards they work well with the veggie shin pads.

The race face flank are my favorites for knee/shin protection on more pedally rides. They are that reactive stuff which seems to work well, and they stay put and breathe.
    "Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "Wow, what a Ride!"

Fabric covered pads are kind of dumb for anything except dirtjumping with them under pants in my opinion. If you're riding something that you think has a good possibility of you crashing (ie: justifies pads) the last thing you want is fabric grabbing on a rock on on a dirt surface and causing your pad to either stick, throwing you foreward or just plain slide off. They're pretty much one hit wonders if you use them at any kind of speed or stuff them into a rock. I mean they'll still work after one crash but then they're torn and start falling apart. External plastic cups offer the same protection and that's what's under that fabric on most of those anyway.......and they'll be exactly the same for your next crash.

That whole plastic cap buried in some sort of fabric came from dirtjumping where you want your knees to stick to your pants so you don't get slippery surfaces while doing seat pinch tricks. How they became the norm in mtb is more a testament to the ability to put a big logo on them than from any sort of functionality out in the woods. If you normally ride in pants I could see going that way, since you're going to stick anyway, but with shorts they just don't make a whole lot of sense to me.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

I think it depends on what sort of rides/probability of falling you're talking about. There are rides I haven't crashed on in a long time (knock on wood) but I still like wearing something just in case (because my knees would be a shredded mess if I did fall). However, there's enough pedaling that if I had to wear something with a hard plastic outer shell, they're just not comfortable so I don't want to wear them, or end up carrying them on my pack for the climbs. (Yet when I do crash, half the time it's on a technical climb...) Hard outer shells are better, yes, but not very useful when I'm not wearing them. So for me, having two sets of armor makes sense.

And I haven't had any issues with those Flank knee/shin guards sliding or falling apart from a crash so far.
    "Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "Wow, what a Ride!"

Do those flank ones have hard shells on the knees underneath the outer fabric or are they like the veggie wrap things? I actually hadn't ever heard of those until you mentioned them here.

They look good for dirjumping on cold days
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    Do those flank ones have hard shells on the knees underneath the outer fabric or are they like the veggie wrap things? I actually hadn't ever heard of those until you mentioned them here.

They look good for dirjumping on cold days
    They're not really like either. They are the reactive d3o armor under fabric. So it's soft/flexible until impact and then stiffens when you need it to absorb a blow.

To me, they're reasonably comfortable to wear in the heat in Moab, etc. Not that you don't sweat, but they're that perforated neoprene with a soft interior and then the thicker d3o pads in strategic places (kneecap, etc.). They're as comfortable as I've found so far.

661 kyle strait knee pads are awesome, wear them every time I ride (mostly dh/fr)

I like the discussion.

I will check out the veggie stuff in person... reading the description Im skeptical of the protection.

Kid the fabric and sliding thing makes sense, an comfortable recommendations? that was the apeal of the the lopes pads.

Race Face flank, will look into those more... do they com down low enough?

Basically I just have flash backs from ten years ago when I use to do a lot of street riding and would mess my shins up from my pedals, pegs, and what ever else. Which led me to only use shin pads in those days... sweaty lizard skinz shins. Basically I will wear the shins for confidence, knee pads I should start wearing for preventative reasons since I am just as stupid but getting older. I haven't slipped a pedal in ages, but the fear is deep.

Formerly Rludes025

I'll bang a shin every once in awhile but it doesn't bother me at all anymore, just whenever i crash I hit the ground with my knees and hands, so gloves+knee pads it is

For pedaly stuff, and a good mix of protection and ventilation, the Fox Launch stuff is nice.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

so, I've tried a bunch of knee pads on the the past season, probably close to ten pairs, and most of them are total crap. I was looking for a knee only pad that would fit under jeans for dirtjumping and riding at rays, and still give a good range of motion for pedaling. The Fox Launch pro is without question the most comfortable pad for pedaling in. No rubbing, no pinch points, a large cutout, and light weight. The con of this pad is after a hard hit they shift a bit. If you are doing xc/am riding, I think they are the best option. For a bit more protection/shock absorbtion, with a minimal increase in restriction, check out the VPD offerings, the POC joint (if you have bigger legs, or fit a size spot on) or the o'neal sinner. I would have gone with the joint, but they only have one strap, so if you are inbetween sizes it sucks. The Sinner is low profile, stays in place no matter what, pedals well, and does great on impact. It also covers the top of the kneecap well which I really like. I absolutely love mine. d30, or the way that 661 uses it, is junk IMHO. Put the pads on and wack yourself in the knee, and you'll see how little impact protection they give. VPD, or SAS tec, is a different animal alltogether, even though it works off of the same principal. The shit actually works. I've tried the demon davey jones (bunch up and don't stay in place, flat knee cup), fox launch shortys (bleh, no side impact protection), raceface digs (bulky, didn't fit me well) forcefield limb tubes, TLD t bones (so stiff when I first put them on I had no desire to try riding in them) and the shock doctor/tld ones (no side impact protection, no straps) and the above mentioned ones. There is just no comparison. For elbow pads, the POC elbows are bomber! I can ride for 7 hrs with them on at rays and have no restriction of movement, and never adjust the pad. They stay put, and once you get warm are extremely flexible. Two thumbs up!
    hope this helps,
    H.
    Quote Originally Posted by 3centshort View Post
    I figure when he realized he was still 10-15 feet off as he flew the K his asshole puckered so hard it ate his nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    In the other scenario, you would be like "Peanut Butter, cool, fuck I'm stuck HELP ME HELP ME HELP ME HELP ME oh fuck I'm screwed, but at least I have time to think about how screwed I am. I guess that is a blessing. FUCK NO IT'S NOT A BLESSSING I'M STUCK AND I'M DYING.