Check Out Our Shop

How to cut down a pole?

Cutting the pole is the easy part, but how do I get the grip off a Scott Al pole?

I have banged the shit out of it, but still can't get it to budge.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

are they glued on?
    heating the shaft help loosen the adhesive?

Hugh Conway Guest
    Stick the grip in a pot of boiling water; put the grip in a doorjam/vice and twist

HC speaks the truth.

x3 for dropping into boiling water and throwing a mctwist

Quote Originally Posted by AK View Post
    x3 for dropping into boiling water and throwing a mctwist
    + use a pipe cutter or hacksaw to cut the pole. Use some silicone caulk or construction adhesive to glue the grips back on.

Worked on a few lost and found sets I found that used to be too long.
    stay outta my line

Since the op has his answer lemme ask this--are the metal tips replaceable? I have a fairly new pair of Scotts with both tips gone.

I just did it a couple of weeks ago on a pair of Scott Al poles. I used a vise mounted to a fixed bench, with the pole in the vise, and the vise letting the pole slip, but closed enough to stop the grip from slipping through. Almost like a slide hammer. 3 tries and it comes off. After cutting, just pound it back on on the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by cbrpaul View Post
    I used a vise mounted to a fixed bench, with the pole in the vise, and the vise letting the pole slip, but closed enough to stop the grip from slipping through.
    ^^^ This is what I do. If the grip is stubborn, HC is right: hot water. Don't use glue when you put the grip back on. Use hairspray. Just strong enough to hold the grip on, but not so strong that it's on there forever.

Quote Originally Posted by 5B View Post
    Since the op has his answer lemme ask this--are the metal tips replaceable? I have a fairly new pair of Scotts with both tips gone.
    This is a worthwhile question. Same issue here.

Kied is offline Inconsiderate Tree Killer
    Yeah, as long as they're already out. If you're just trying to replace worn tips with new ones, good luck getting them out... all but impossible.

Scott grips are not glued. At least not in the lower price range alus. Heating the grip only makes the plastic/rubber softer and makes it harder to remove. Just find something that holds the grip, and twist/pull the shaft. Use some gloves with good grip if needed. I removed grips from five pairs of Scotts like this yesterday. No heating, no water, just force.

Quote Originally Posted by Kied View Post
    Yeah, as long as they're already out. If you're just trying to replace worn tips with new ones, good luck getting them out... all but impossible.
    heat is your friend in this matter.

If you can't get them with heat, drill into the center, thread a sturdy screw in there with a few washers so you can pull it. spare binding screws work good... heat plus pounding will get tips out of an old pole.

oh and getting grips off:

slide a small screwdriver in there as far as you can and squirt a tiny bit of wd-40. Off they come.

for getting them back on nice and tight after WD-40 removal wrap the shaft with a few layers of hockey tape.

Quote Originally Posted by pisteoff View Post
    Don't use glue when you put the grip back on. Use hairspray. Just strong enough to hold the grip on, but not so strong that it's on there forever.
    Truth!

I ski therefore I am.

+1 ^ Hairspray is the old bicycle grip trick, and it works great

I tried the slide hammer technique with no luck, but maybe I was just being a pussy about hammering on it. I will heat it, WD-40 it and beat on it again.

As for the metal tips,yes they are replaceable, but finding the right size is tricky. I lost both tips on my Scott CF poles and different times. One I have been able to replace, the other I am still looking (but not very hard). The repair shop at Mammoth has a bunch of tips, but none that fit.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

I've replaced on a pair of Smith poles. Go to pole box at hill get poles or parts of poles with metal tips. cut off tips to right length. Will probably have to modify new tip to slip into hole unless lucky. Epoxy in . Kinda looks like shit as didn't do the greatess cleanup but has held for 2 years.

oh I'm pretty sure I had to cut down pole tip some too so tip not too long and get a bigger hole.
    Mrs. Dougw- "I can see how one of your relatives could have been killed by an angry mob."

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    dougW, you motherfucking dirty son of a bitch.

Boiling water + dish soap + bucket

Let it soak for a min or two, then vice/doorjamb and pull & twist.
    I've concluded that DJSapp was never DJSapp, and Not DJSapp is also not DJSapp, so that means he's telling the truth now and he was lying before.

You can also take some vice grips and adjust them to a bit bigger than the pole diameter. Put at bottom of grip and hit with a rubber mallet. Avoids screwing up the paint on your door jam.
    "I dont hike.... my legs are too heavy"

I've always used a hair dryer as my mode of heat application, but yeah, heat it up and stick it in a door/vice.

Quote Originally Posted by Professor View Post
    Avoids screwing up the paint on your door jam.
    Good point, use your neighbor's door.
    I've concluded that DJSapp was never DJSapp, and Not DJSapp is also not DJSapp, so that means he's telling the truth now and he was lying before.

^^^^ Ding ding ding.... we have a winner!
    "I dont hike.... my legs are too heavy"