Check Out Our Shop
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Steeze nuts View Post
    Totally forgot the mention I believe Moment bills these as flat underfoot, they are not, at least mine aren't. They have just the slightest amount of camber underfoot, which may be adding to the liveliness of the ski. Ill try and post some rocker profile shots when i get home from work. Are anyone elses NT's like this? I dig it.
    Mine are the same, maybe 2-2mm camber, probably why they are so rad on the firm pack. I'll throw up a pic in a few minutes.

Having trouble locating camera cable, when it surfaces I'll put up a pic.

Also want to add the Moment bases are absolutely bomber.
    Last edited by mountain_man; 01-31-2010 at 09:54 PM.
    I ski therefore I am.

Quote Originally Posted by mountain_man View Post
    Mine are the same, maybe 3-4mm of camber, probably why they are so rad on the firm pack. I'll throw up a pic in a few minutes.

Also want to add the Moment bases are absolutely bomber.
    Yep Im about the same. And yes they really are BOMBER. I hit what i though was going to be a sweet pillow on top of a 12 foot drop, boy was I wrong. Carried a little bit of speed into the thing, mybe 10 foot straightline, and as soon as I hit the 'pillow' I heard the awful sound of rocks on base, I also noticed I was slowing down RAPIDLY, almost to a stop. It pitched me into a front flip (which i brought around to my feet, go low swing weight) only to leave a little tiny nick in one base, no where near the core. Well played Moment, well played.

I was a little disappointed with my night train bases. My tahoe bases were thick and seemed indestructible, but during one run on my night trains I ended up with 3 core shots. From past experiences I didn't expect anything except a few scratches. Looking at the damage with the shop tech that did the base welds we both thought the bases looked a little thin. I always talked up the moment bases to my k2 and Line skiing friends so maybe it was bad karma.

haha of course right after I post this my friends in the office are looking at my skis and I put a SWEET ding in the nose that pulled up a little bit, razorblade and a file should take care of it and I'm sure it was my fault for being a dumbass, or having to much fun which is more likely the case on these skis, its not like it touches the snow anyway. Try and toss pics up later.

Camber Pics

Didn't do the best job, but there is definitely 2-3mm of camber between rocker points.
    I ski therefore I am.

Not in the same class with most of you guys as a skier, but I love my Trains. Of course they're killing it in the Niseko pow, but more impressed with the way they handle hardpack, because after all you do have to get back down at the end of the day.

Mine seem pretty flat under foot, my bent out duke brakes show no sign of pressure from the camber (lack).

I just picked up the 186 NT's. There is only maybe 1mm of camber underfoot on each ski, no where near what as much as that picture shows but maybe its an optical illusion. Cannot wait to ski them if we ever get any new snow in the southern interior of BC, see how they compare to my Ruby's.

After looking at that pic, my observation that the NT's tip could be rockered a little more has been reaffirmed, just to the same height as the tail.

I think the ski would do a little better at lower speed and if nothing else it would be more symmetrical.

this is probably me just being anal
    I ski therefore I am.

I noticed something weird on my NTs today. In sunlight, you can see that there are hairline cracks in the topsheet running perpendicular to the skis. They are above the point where the tip rocker starts, so I can only assume it is from the 'stress' of the ski flexing. Anyone else notice this? They aren't delamming or anything, but if the topsheets are cracking, it seems like they might start chipping like mad in a year or so. I have barely skied these, 4 backcountry days.
    Last edited by hiplainsdrifter; 02-06-2010 at 11:27 PM.

After looking at that pic, my observation that the NT's tip could be rockered a little more has been reaffirmed, just to the same height as the tail.

I think the ski would do a little better at lower speed and if nothing else it would be more symmetrical.

this is probably me just being anal
    When I saw these in the store I thought the same thing. It looked a bit stupid.

hiplains, I have the hairline cracks as well.

Quote Originally Posted by hiplainsdrifter View Post
    I noticed something weird on my NTs today. In sunlight, you can see that there are hairline cracks in the topsheet running perpendicular to the skis. They are above the point where the tip rocker starts, so I can only assume it is from the 'stress' of the ski flexing. Anyone else notice this? They aren't delamming or anything, but if the topsheets are cracking, it seems like they might start chipping like mad in a year or so. I have barely skied these, 4 backcountry days. I am also suspicious that one of my tips is decambering, as it looks several mm different than the other when laid flat on the floor.
    The hairline cracks you see in the topsheet are NOT hairline cracks. The material we used came like that. It isnt the best looking but it was the most durable topsheet we had during that time of production. If you think you have any issues we are always here: info@momentskis.com or 775-527-1595

Thanks Melee. I know you guys are a quality company and that you stand by your products. I will let you know if any serious issues arise out of the deal. Regarding the topsheet cracks, it seems like just a cosmetic thing at the moment. I love the skis, they are mega floaty and stable, I just want them to last me a handful of seasons. Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by hiplainsdrifter View Post
    Thanks Melee. I know you guys are a quality company and that you stand by your products. I love the skis, they are mega floaty and stable, I just want them to last me a handful of seasons. Cheers!
    Ditto, currently in Hakuba, we arrived to 40cm, followed by 15cm. Amazing skiing here. Getting some POV footage together.
    I ski therefore I am.

So, I've been skiing these babies for a while, the thing that impressed me the most is actually how good they handle groomers, as in I can get my elbows in the snow good. Great skis, a little stiffer than I expected them to be, but whatever.

My skis camber, or the lack of it, looks quite different than most others I've seen though

Tip

Tail

Under foot

It seems like the rocker is "growing" or something. The Camber was flat, or maybe 1mm max, on delivery. But now it seems like the rockered section is soon to be under my bindings, well, hopefully not

Has anyone else had the same experience?

Will post review soon

The camber on mine hasn't changed at all, but yours look quite different, are they 186? Yours look like the tip rises more than the tail in both height and length.
    I ski therefore I am.

I have black sidewalls too.

I got out touring my NT's on thursday, was a combination of sun baked potatoes and breakable rain crust in the shade. The conditions would have been difficult in any ski, but I still had fun on my NT's. I really wish I could drive <6 hours and find some pow to rip on them.

The camber on mine hasn't changed at all, but yours look quite different, are they 186? Yours look like the tip rises more than the tail in both height and length.
    Since I'm a small guy i ski the women-length 181. The tiprocker is huge length-wise, really satisfied with the height of it though but it is both longer and higher than the tail. I haven't had any issues landing switch in pow but I don't land anything big switch either.

I've frinds who have had the same problems with flat-cambered skis aswell, maybe it's really hard to build a totally flatcambered ski that holds up and therefor does most of the "flat" cambered skis come with a slight camber that will break in?

Quote Originally Posted by Jarle View Post
    The tiprocker is huge length-wise, really satisfied with the height of it though but it is both longer and higher than the tail.
    The tiprocker on my pair are definitely lower than the tails, which continues to niggle at me, MOMENT can you just make the tip curve up slightly higher? No need to make the rocker rise higher, just the tip.
    I ski therefore I am.

This is my first attempt at a review, so please take it easy on me

Finally got to get on the NT's on marginal conditions at Revelstoke Mountain Resort. One run with the edges at factory tune on hard groomer = death chatter. De-tuned from the widest spot on the tip and tails. Run two hard groomer with de-tuned edges = $$. After a few runs on progressively softening groomers speeds opened up and trenches were dug. Ventured out on a hike and found some stashes of pow, HUGE smiles as stated above these skis KILL IT in anything soft. Charge, pivot, smear this ski comes to life in pow I cannot wait to ski these a real pow day.

I have mounted them with Schizo's as I was worried about mounting on the line, and I am glad I did. I am not skiing switch, not hucking huge airs and enjoy railing groomers from pow stash to pow stash. Anyways I started off on the line and am very happy with -2cm from the line. I did not fiddle to much after I went to -2cm, but will once/if we get some more pow here in the interior of BC.

The statement "quiver of one" could be true for someone who only ever skis soft snow. I can already tell I will be only using my Ruby's (which I love) for touring now as I used them on the same trip and wished I was either my carving skis or the NT's depending on what run I was doing. The Night Trains will get trekkers for side country and will be my go to ski for Resort skiing on any day with 5+ cm. I still have a groomer ski and will never not have a groomer ski. But with that being said I could easily have NT's with Dukes or Dynafits and have a strict two ski quiver, groomer ski for groomer days and NT's for everything else. The weight would be a downfall for extended tours but well worth it for the pow performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Just_Mo102 View Post
    This is my first attempt at a review, so please take it easy on me
    Hey what is your body weight /height ? What length ski?
    How is the rocker & camber like Jarles or Mountain-Mans ?

I am 5'6" and 200 with gear, read fat ass.

The length is 186 as mentioned in my earlier post ^^^ so far my rocker/camber is more like MM's than Jarles but they only have one day. I would say that I have 1mm of camber underfoot on each ski. I am assuming after heavy use the camber will disappear like Jarles. I too am hoping that it at least remains flat underfoot for groomer performance.

I am happy to answer any more questions that you have.

I just gotta say that although this thread is over a year old, it pretty much psychologically MADE me buy the 2011 trains. I get em on monday. As bart scott would say - 'can't wait!'

I'm very tempted to buy a pair of used 2011 178 NTs, but I'm worried they may be a bit too small. I tried this years's 186 Bibby Pros and loved them. I normally ski a pair of 2008/2009 176 Volkl Gotamas in very tight trees in the PNW. With the early rise in the NTs, would the 178 NT be too short? If they were the 186s, I'd pull the trigger right away, but I'm just not sure. Any thoughts?
    Eat drink and be merry, for tomorrow you may be in Utah...