Check Out Our Shop
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    AKA is offline These meaasge boards suck

Kirkwood on Fire!!!

Again.

Just heard that the generator is on fire again and kirkwood is shut down.

I also heard that they are handing out Jolly Ranchers as a consolation to the lack of pow people are able to ski, seriously.

Maybe Kirkwood should have a power report on the website instead of a snow report. we all know it snowed but no one knows if the lifts will run.

Just talked to the wife & she said that they should have back up generators tonight & lifts supposedly spinning in the morning again
    Snow Flake Killer

the fire appeared HUGE as compared to the previous one. They had a shutdown earlier in the day, but then got things going again w/o the backside.
    they had proly 10 fire engines a 20+ cops and such show up.
    The snow was really fun today and I would be there tomorrow if things are running. I'll have my skins though.

edit- i opened my camera to find both the card and battery not there, so no pics. I have some cell phone video, but there were so many people there with cameras and video i'm sure we'll see it soon enough.

I got a pic....

Guess it was the roof to the generators.

BSS Guest
    Bwa.

Be ye strong, O battered wives.

Holy crap!
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

wow. that's hot.
    Waste your time, read my crap, at:
    One Gear, Two Planks

Funny how the report detailing the Hironagashima explosion was quickly replaced by the current report which pretty much says "Uhhh....lots of snow! yes...and uhhh.....no crowds. Come on up, nothing to see here! Absolutely nothing explosive happened today!"

Looks like they were generating the next storm.

SuperCohee to the rescue! People just love Jolly Ranchers.

Minor inconvenience how bout' some candy

I saw the fire and it was a BIG ONE. With all generators working they are a cell phone charger and a fat chick away from overload. No way they run to capacity tomorrow so don't believe the company line.

From Kirkwood home page:

UPDATED AS OF 3:30 PM FRIDAY, NEW YEAR’S DAY, JANUARY 1 …
    Again, a couple of inches of new snow for the day. Lots of new snow over the past week, with mid winter soft powder, machine groomed and skier packed powder, deepest snow in the region, and NO LIFT LINES. Skies are clearing and the entire mountain is scheduled to open for what should be a fantastic weekend.

A weeks worth of slow lifts, constant power problems, the power plant catching on fire and we are supposed to believe that?
    "A man on foot, on horseback or on a bicycle will see more, feel more, enjoy more in one mile than the motorized tourists can in a hundred miles."
    — Edward Abbey (Desert Solitaire)

Jolly Ranchers. I mean, life ain't so bad. Ya know.
    ROBOTS ARE EATING MY FACE.

I got mine!!!
    "A man on foot, on horseback or on a bicycle will see more, feel more, enjoy more in one mile than the motorized tourists can in a hundred miles."

I guess I'm not going up tomorrow then.
    You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig.

Remeber when Jolly Ranchers came as long, thin, sticks? You know, roughly the same shape as size as an Airhead?

That was the shit. And so was Laffy Taffy when it came in the big squares. Fruit Punch Laffy Taffy is def. top five candies ever.
    ROBOTS ARE EATING MY FACE.

Quote Originally Posted by runethechamp View Post
    I guess I'm not going up tomorrow then.
    No, no, no! According to the home page there are NO LIFT LINES and everything will be open for the weekend!! The fire was so insignificant they don't even mention it.

If I were you I would shoot for first chair. I like your chances.

Oh sweet irony. Skiing Kirkwood is like taking candy from strangers.

My other favorite moment was the guy in the pickup trying to drive against traffic down the access road. He had his hazards on and was honking his horn like a mad man. As he was driving by, he was yelling at people on the road, "Get out of the way dammit! Don't you know the generator is on fire!" yeah cause people can year you yelling through the windshield while you're driving a non-descript ehite pickup and honking your horn like a retard.
    "I knew in an instant that the three dollars I had spent on wine would not go to waste."

Quote Originally Posted by Arty50 View Post
    Oh sweet irony. Skiing Kirkwood is like taking candy from strangers.
    That made me laugh hard, Arty.

haha, thats jokes

Quote Originally Posted by Arty50 View Post
    "Get out of the way dammit! Don't you know the generator is on fire!" yeah cause people can year you yelling through the windshield
    Well........

You heard him.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Quote Originally Posted by skier666 View Post
    ....smokin'......

How many clean energy Carbon credits is that gonna cost?

They just can't seem to catch a break with the power situation.

I am interested to hear what went wrong.

Short of obvious sabatage there is no good excuse.

__________________________________________________ ____________

Posted: 5:36 PM Jan 1, 2010

Power Plant Burning at Kirkwood
    A power plant is burning at Kirkwood Mountain Resort.

Font Size: A power plant is burning at Kirkwood Mountain Resort, knocking out power to the resort and some 5,000 people.

The fire began around 2:00 p.m. Friday afternoon. Fire crews on the scene say it was likely sparked by an engine failure.

No one was hurt, but lifts stopped operating at the resort and some 150 employees living in nearby apartments were evacuated. Kirkwood was forced to close two hours early.

Officials say it could take them until midnight to get powered restored to the community. They are bringing in back-up generators and hope to have Kirkwood operating again before it opens Saturday morning at 9:00 a.m.

Crews on the scene say this is the third time in the last six years the power plant has caught fire. At this time, they say they are going to let it burn to the ground.
    Last edited by MTT; 01-01-2010 at 08:40 PM.

Looks like a total loss. Scrambling to find portable power sources. Meanwhile all the regulatory agencies are closed for permit purposes. Hope some portable generator owners answer the phones tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    Well........

You heard him.
    We already know that Arty is special. Now we know he has Superman ears too.

The best part is today's Kirkwood video of the day.

Coop tells it like it is at 30-seconds in.

http://kirkwood.mobilerider.com/flas...video_id=25143