Sack up CO skiers

the grande...
    Attachment 69205

and billboard...
    Attachment 69206

...are open for unguided skiing this weekend. snows not as good as in the pics but the terrain is every bit as good. there were only three customers on thursday.

http://www.silvertonmountain.com/page/home

Wish I was down there... Damn job!

Keep doin what your doin, Silverton. Y'all are an inspiration and provide solace to this CO skier.

One of these days....
    Skiing, whether you're in Wisconsin or the Alps, is a dumbass hick country sport that takes place in the middle of winter on a mountain at the end of a dirt road.
    -Glen Plake

I wish Washington would sack up and have something similar to Silvertons operation.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAUGHHHHH

I will be down there midweek the week after next... so stay open midweek!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

^^^should be there that Thurs or Fri...Really excited. However, I do not believe my fatss could make it all the way to the grande. What is the access path to get to grande? Anyway seems like probably too much for this flatlander.

Wish I could make it.
    I can't believe you are a rando racer because I look so much better in Lycra than you.

People who don't think the Earth is flat haven't skied Vail.

You need a charter plane flight from Denver, lodging and lift combo deal.

I've only got Sunday to ski and its way too long of a drive for 1 day.

The grand looks like shit. I want the Gnar Couloir. -BTW I think the "Gnar Couloir" is a pretty shitty name.

Behold my fluffy goodness, you bastard.

if it dumps down there, I hope they'll open Thursday...
    I french kissed Kelly Kapowski.

I wonder how much of Silverton will actually be open next weekend. If the forecast verifies, there is likely to be a significant avalanche cycle, no?

Anyone thinking about heading to Wolf Creek for Tues/Weds?

...THERE IS ONLY ONE WORD FOR THE MODEL QPF VALUES OVER THE SAN JUANS AND THAT IS ... INSANE. IT IS GOING TO SNOW AND BLOW OVER THE SW MTNS...ESPECIALLY TOMORROW AFTERNOON. SNOWFALL RATES WILL LIKELY BE IN THE 1-2 AND MAYBE 3/HR" RANGES THROUGH A GOOD PART OF THIS STORM...

Quote Originally Posted by garuda View Post
    Anyone thinking about heading to Wolf Creek for Tues/Weds?
    I'm probably hitting Monarch on Tuesday and then Wolf Creek on Wednesday.

$31 WC tickets on Wednesday

I think it will be too deep on Tuesday to ski Wolf Creek.

Interested in heading down there? [ame="http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=177789"]Interested in Monarch/Wolf Creek this week? - Teton Gravity Research Forums[/ame]
    "PC Load Letter, what the fuck does that mean?"

If I go down there and a guide tells me again that they will arrest me if I ski under the lift line, I am going to kick him in the nuts. Skiing under the lift line is gay anyway, and why do you need to phrase it like that. Please don't tell me not to pee in your office, cuz you don't pee in my office, either. Also lame. Pretty cool place but lose the attitude.

In vail, thinking of making the drive down to Wolf Creek... Anyone in the area want to go? Come back Wens?

$31 lift tickets on Wens, cheap lodging at the motels

Anybody with beta options on lodging for peeps x2 and dogs.
    I noticed in TGRs Resession they stayed in some no-frills looking cabins for the Silverton segment. Any ideas?
    Can't help but to notice that Southern Co is getting hammered while Copper is reporting 1" in the last 24hr!

Damn, I'll get up those damn couloirs one day.

Looks like they're getting hammered...over 3ft last 24 hours. And of course, we canceled our Telluride new years trip.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyD View Post
    If I go down there and a guide tells me again that they will arrest me if I ski under the lift line, I am going to kick him in the nuts. Skiing under the lift line is gay anyway, and why do you need to phrase it like that. Please don't tell me not to pee in your office, cuz you don't pee in my office, either. Also lame. Pretty cool place but lose the attitude.
    AFAIK Part of their BLM(?) operating permit requires them to ticket unguided skiers who ski into closed areas.

Not following the rules they are mandated to follow puts them and their business and possibly the best ski experience in the U.S. at risk.

So kick yourself in the nuts would ya.

I've been sitting here at my desk daydreaming of the powder I'm missing all day and then you send pics of two of my all time favorite lines. Suddenly I am thinking not of where I am not but where I have been. Thank you sir, thank you indeed.
    If it wasn't for douchebags there'd be douche all over the place.

I don't understand the idea of paying for a lift ticket then skiing the grande.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinC View Post
    I don't understand the idea of paying for a lift ticket then skiing the grande.
    I don't understand living in Ridgway and eating Thai food and dipping with hairy pit hippies either.

MTM FTW!

Silverton... sooooooon....
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Skied the Grande last Friday along with Pope Chute, Rope Dee 1, it didn't suck. Get down there. We might go back this week due to the snowfall.

Any front rangers thinking about heading to Silverton this weekend? I am looking for someone to share a ride down with and ski with, leave friday, back sunday. So long as avy conditions allow a reasonable amount of terrain to be open. (I know, hook up forum, but not many people see threads there).

I'm heading out this afternoon, coming from the NM, planning on Wolfcreek Thursday, Purgatory Friday (opening day) then Silverton Saturday/Sunday. Wolfcreek looks like a bit of a crap-shoot at this point. I'm driving to Pagosa, to avoid getting trapped on the east side of Wolf Creek Pass, which is open, and hoping they have the west side open by tomorrow (Thursday).

Talked with a guy in Silverton this morning and got the following:

-They did a fair amount of work (boot and ski packing) on the front side to get a bit of a a base established. Most of the front side tree runs should be open.
    -They are planning on doing a fair amount of bombing on Friday and may get some of the more open terrain available, at least by Sunday.
    -Winds were pretty extreme during the storm, but today the wind has died down (nothing in town and the peaks not pluming).
    -It's cold out there campers, -12F in town this morning, so bring your long johns...

I'll be staying at the triangle motel while in Silverton. If you want to hook up for any of these WC/Purgatory/Silverton days, feel free to PM me.
    "I just want to thank everyone who made this day necessary." -Yogi Berra

The Grand = rule.

Maybe my favorite "in bounds" line anywhere.