Check Out Our Shop
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    Seems like a Maggot over reaction. Its hard for me to get worked up about corporate legal issues. SCOTT seems to be following the laws on this one. I think it says alot more bout TradeMark Laws than about SCOTT.

I like my SCOTT skis and I don't have any problem skiing a pariah.

Hopefully ON3P will be left relatively unscathed from this. Its fucking hard to deal with as a small company I am sure.

Edit to add: I think if people don't like our laws and want laws more friendly to small business then that's great But its hard for me to blame any individual company for following the laws and aggressively enforcing their rights.

^^^ agreed. Scott still has the potential to go overboard with this and be assholes, but for the time being, it seems like they're just doing what they have to under US IP laws.

loJack Guest
    No, we didn't love their soft PoS skis before this. People bought them because they were cheap as hell on SAC because nobody else loves their skis either.

Now, SCOTT Skis, through their actions, has made it morally reprehensible for any self respecting skier to purchase their gear.
    Wow you really buy shitty skis just because they are cheap, seems like something any self respecting skier wouldn't do. You are also in charge of what is morally acceptable.

Yeah, they have to

Look, dont let anyone tell you that you have to grow up to be a cunt. You don't.
    "If you limit your choices only to what seems possible or reasonable, you disconnect yourself from what you truly want, and all that is left is a compromise." -Robert Fritz

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    not enough nun fisters in that community

Quote Originally Posted by loJack View Post
    Wow you really buy shitty skis just because they are cheap, seems like something any self respecting skier wouldn't do. You are also in charge of what is morally acceptable.
    I don't buy them, but that's why they end of up on SAC... because not many people are buying them. Make crap cheap and it becomes more attractive. Everyone needs cheap skis to use in the park or for rock skis.

I find it morally acceptable for you to shut your gaping pussy mouth.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

is it time for this?

CONTACT INFORMATION
    Email Address
    wintersupport@scottusa.com

or this?

j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

I have always wondered why Corporations think they can "invent" an everyday name and protect it as a "trademark". Maybe they should just be creative when brainstorming their trademark in the first place. It seems stupid to me to name my shop "Smith" and then whining about all the other Smithes around ...

Anyway, I think (like many others here) that this will have the chance to become a serious publicity win for ON3P. I am seriously thinking about ordering a pair (just have to think about quiver overlap issues ...) and thanking ScottUsa Inc. that they have helped me in my decision process of buying skis .

Dick Bass called

He's Pissed. Great Scott is THE run at the Bird. owww shit not Rossi is pissed at you both. F*#K this won't end well.

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    POTD

Can a familiar phrase really be copyrighted? "Great Scott" has been in common useage for quite some time (i.e. Back to the future)

If these skis were called "Great Rossignol", though, it seems like a pretty cut and dry infringement (plus it wouldn't make any sense)

I guess there is a thread on NS about this and ScottUSA has chimed in. Would one of our bidirectional mags maybe copy paste what was said over there and bring it over here?

In Anchortown looking to get my career on track
    The Great Scott Cease and Desist Pro Model
    Our world is full of surrender at the first sign of adversity, do not give up when the challenge meets you, meet the challenge. Through perseverance comes the rewards, the rewards that make life so enjoyable.

Seize the day, trusting little in the future.

if you want something, go after it. if you want to screw someone over, look DEEP in your heart and realize Karma is a bitch

http://arcticcycles.com

Quote Originally Posted by TheFugitive View Post
    I guess there is a thread on NS about this and ScottUSA has chimed in. Would one of our bidirectional mags maybe copy paste what was said over there and bring it over here?
    "It was removed at the request of the guy who posted it (from Scott) who apparently legitimately had no idea what was going on, he doesn't have anything to do with their legal dept."

http://newschoolers.com/web/forums/r...495436/page/4/
    Seriously, this can’t turn into yet another ON3P thread....

Put this on your topsheets instead:

Quote Originally Posted by goldenboy View Post
    Can a familiar phrase really be copyrighted? "Great Scott" has been in common useage for quite some time (i.e. Back to the future)

If these skis were called "Great Rossignol", though, it seems like a pretty cut and dry infringement (plus it wouldn't make any sense)
    Not an IP lawyer, using the name "Scott" itself probably not.

Scotts fertilizer
    Scott PaperTowels
    Scotttrade
    etc.

Infringement occurs through the association of the name with the product.
    Move upside and let the man go through...

In hilariously unrelated news, Tom Wallisch has just signed with Scott.

Anway, ride the press, don't waste too much energy over it. It's not worth it. Move on.

Quote Originally Posted by Mofro261 View Post
    Not an IP lawyer, using the name "Scott" itself probably not.

Scotts fertilizer
    Scott PaperTowels
    Scotttrade
    etc.

Infringement occurs through the association of the name with the product.
    I know that. what I'm saying is that "Great Scott" has been in popular useage long before Scott USA or ON3P ever existed. so can it really be trademarked any more than "Holy Mackerel" or anything else?

1.21 JIGGAWATTS?????????????????????

Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Scott USA can go get fucked. The few Scott products I have are now in the back of the closet, and I'll be badmouthing their shit to any friends who may be looking at getting new gear.
    "High risers are for people with fused ankles, jongs and dudes who are too fat to see their dick or touch their toes.
    Prove me wrong."
    -I've seen black diamonds!

throughpolarizedeyes.com

doughboyshredder Guest
    I will never use SCOTT products again. Ever. And that is after using SCOTT goggles for the last 20 years.

Total ass-hats. They are the Jack Donaghy's of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by SpinalTap View Post
    I'm really troubled by whatever pictures the Don had to search through to arrive at that one...

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    I don't buy them, but that's why they end of up on SAC... because not many people are buying them. Make crap cheap and it becomes more attractive. Everyone needs cheap skis to use in the park or for rock skis.

It's really not that simple. I don't work for Scott, obviously, nor do I use their product but there are a lot of variables that can lead a product to SAC these days.

That said, I'll be forwarding this thread to some friends across the street (at Scott). I can't speak for them but the dudes I know there are pretty good guys. Their parent company, however, might not be so cool?

Carry on...
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

Anyone Visit the Scott USA web site

They need to divert a little bit from the legal department and get that shit sorted out. Any kid out of High School could do a better job.

Somebody said there was a thread about a Great Scot?
    Ok, I'm here, what do you want?

But seriously.. I think calling them the "cease and desist" a great idea or the
    "FUSUSA's".... .......................................( Fuck U Scott USA)
    TGR Bureau Chief, Greenwater, WA