Check Out Our Shop

Marker Schizo Tech Alert

FWIW-

Marker retailers,
    Please be aware that Marker has discovered that when using the Marker universal jig (W001G1T) or the Marker universal jig with wide feet (W012J1T) in mounting the Jester Schizo & Griffon Schizo bindings, the resulting mount will position the boot midsole 7mm (that's 7 tenths of a centimeter) ahead of the midsole mark on the ski, unless you correct for it.

How to correct for it:
    1) Adjust the Marker install tool to the proper boot size.
    2) Locate the ski manufacturer's mounting position on the ski.
    3) Measure back 7mm (0.7cm) from that mounting position and make a new mark.
    4) Align the install tool's midsole mark to the new mark on the ski.
    5) Drill the holes for the Schizo binding.

The reason for the jig being off? In the design phase of the Schizos, Marker used a brand of boot that doesn't always position their boot's midsole mark in the actual center of the boot. Marker wasn't aware of this, and it's doubtful that we will ever be using that brand of boot when designing Marker tools in the future.

so the schizo is schizo?

wonder which boot screwed it up?
    For sure, you have to be lost to find a place that can't be found, elseways everyone would know where it was

OMFG.

Rogue boots.

wow thats surprising for such a seasoned company to make a mistake like that. I know measuring 7mm and offsetting is gonna piss off a lot of shop techs that are busy and don't need one more thing to remember / make their jobs harder. but thanks for the heads up. is their an offical marker press release / info going to shops?
    Carry on my wayward son...

zo Guest
    I probably wouldn't even worry too much about the correction as the whole point of that binding is that you can move it fore and aft on the ski like 6cm. But still good to know...

Quote Originally Posted by huckster989 View Post
    wow thats surprising for such a seasoned company to make a mistake like that. I know measuring 7mm and offsetting is gonna piss off a lot of shop techs that are busy and don't need one more thing to remember / make their jobs harder. but thanks for the heads up. is their an offical marker press release / info going to shops?
    Yep, and yep- I cut and pasted that from the email we got from our rep.

And like zp said, the good thing is the binding is adjustable fore and aft- so not really that big a deal.

Though with someone paying for a mount, they could somehow make it a big deal.

Quote Originally Posted by huckster989 View Post
    I know measuring 7mm and offsetting is gonna piss off a lot of shop techs that are busy and don't need one more thing to remember / make their jobs harder.
    Draw a new line on the jig. No biggie.

Anyone else slightly uncomfortable with the idea of a marker binding that includes metal wire holding stuff together?

BSS Guest
    Actually it does matter because after you max out sliding the binding back a cm or whatever to correct for the mismount, you've completely defeated the purpose of buying a binding with fore-aft adjustment to begin with.

Why not just line up the centerline of the boot you are mounting to with the mounting point on the ski, which is always a good idea...problem solved....Thanks for the heads up though!
    set the gearshift for the high gear of your soul

thanks, but - again - not big deal, these gems can move 6 cm................

I NEVER use the mid-sole mark on ANY jig out of habit. It's more reliable and precise to ignore any marks on the jig and simply line up the ski mark with the boot mark. Also, boot manufacturers sometimes make mid-sole marks that are NOT on the actual mid-sole! Mounting jigs should stop making mid-sole marks all together if you ask me. They are notoriously inaccurate. (many mid-marks on jigs tend to "float" around a few mm's anyway)
    Leave No Turn Unstoned!

Quote Originally Posted by toiletduck View Post
    Anyone else slightly uncomfortable with the idea of a marker binding that includes metal wire holding stuff together?
    I have(soon to be had) the Marker Griffon Schizo 12 binding.
    They have already been removed and RMA'd to Marker.(waiting for them to be returned) The idea is good but they forgot a very key item!! A pin or screw to lock the cable in place. Take a look you tell me? Do I expect too much?? I have had the cable come out while skiing more then 3 times. I'm VERY lucky I have not been injured!!
    I have 2 problems here. 1. I cantacted marker and they responded "I have not hear of any problems with wear on the Griffon Schizo. I am sorry to hear that you are having problems with them. " Then no more response to me.
    2. I get to pay shipping to get this binding repaired. now I have over $400 on this binding. (Ok. I didn't get hurt..)
    Here is where the problem is and without a fix I can not trust it.

Take a look you tell me? Do I expect too much from Marker??

Yep.......

You'd be better off with a marker griffon on a demo plate.

Oh man, i looked at those in a shop and thought the same thing about that wire. It just didn't seem right.
    If you are getting rad but there is no one to see you. Are you really getting rad at all?

marker sent a fax to all shops in november, this is not a new issue.

I have some of these on 175 Praxis Pows. When I was mounting them, I noticed right away that the wire needs to be pushed well down into the slot and it had a tendency to slip out if not done so. There are also some detents that the wire needs to be pushed into that keep the wire from poping out (as shown in #13 above). So far I have not had any issue and I check twice to make sure that wire is snug before I slide the toe on the track.

BTW, I'm using these bindings in a way that I'm sure they were not intended. I'm using them as a sort of "demo binding", meaning I have them mounted to accept a wide range of BSL (270 - 305). The binding is set up so the boot center location may stay constant over the range of BSL. By adjusting the wire, the toe moves forward and the heel back. I wanted my kids to be able to try these skis. Plus I still get a good bit of fore-aft adjustment even with the bigger BSL. This is a really nice feature and so far so good.

The more I look at it I'm starting to think of many ways to fix the problem. Besides a screw or pin I should be able to put a piece of wood or metal in there and wedge them in.

We will see what Marker sends back to me next week. (see if they ever want me to buy there stuff again.)

Everyone or Company has problems it's how you react to it that makes you great or not great. DO THE RIGHT THING! or not.

Quote Originally Posted by buttahflake View Post
    marker sent a fax to all shops in november, this is not a new issue.
    I would really like to read the fax. Can you post it or fax it to me?

You need to only move the binding when your boot is in it - it'll keep the wire down and allow it to move as one piece.

Or make sure you're moving the rear binding back when you're moving the front-piece.

Edit: You're actually supposed to move the binding with your boot in it - otherwise you'd need to manually push the rear binding back, most-likely by smashing it with your heel which wouldn't be a good idea.

I have Schizos too but have never thought to move the bindings around without the skis on my feet other than when I first got them put on to play with them.

Well...the statement is from 2009 !
    I did some research and found out the boot centre was out for the first season, but then it was corrected.
    I just tried it with two boots and a mounted Schizo binding...the boot centre met the marking at the ski perfectly in both cases.
    fyi...Marker just celebrated their 60th anniversary. Great bindings, Great company!

Great bindings? maybe some decent bindings in the last 5 years... far from great.