Check Out Our Shop
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Jackson

Jackson

After graduating in August, and after much debate, I've committed to moving to Jackson this winter. The car is going up for sale in order to get something more suitable and I'll be out of my current place at the end of the month. I've spoken to a couple Jackson locals and read the countless other threads on moving to Jackson, where to look for housing and jobs, etc.

What I am still trying to determine is when would be the ideal time to arrive in town in order to find work and housing? I can stay with my parents and bank some more money before coming, just trying to figure out the ideal time to get there. I know that last year there was quite a bit of talk regarding the limited amount of jobs both through JHMR and around town. I know the general consensus is to avoid working for the mountain, however I am wondering if it would still be wise to at least attend the job fair at the end of the month (Oct 30th and 31st). The only issue with working for the mountain, aside from it interfering with skiing and the low pay, is that most of those jobs don't start for a month. I'll be coming to town with some savings, however I would still prefer to have some income and not be kicking around for a month. I could use Skymiles and take a flight out, find work, and then make the actual move, but I'd really prefer just to pack everything up and drive there and do it once.

I'll be looking for work in the service industry working afternoons/evenings. I've got a variety of work experience -- cleaning toilets, cashier, lifeguarding, driving 26 ft box trucks, foreman at a moving company, managing construction of restaurants all over the country, barbacking, etc. I imagine barbacking will be the most useful of those experiences. I'm hoping to find work for the winter that maximizes time on the hill, doesn't really matter what it is as long as pay is reasonable. I intend to look for something more stable / long-term in the spring that puts my degree in Construction Mgmt to use and makes Jackson viable long term.

Any advice on when to come to town and where to look for work would be much appreciated. On a sidenote, if anyone is looking for a roommate or has leads on housing let me know. I've got good credit and I'll be able to cover first, last, security, etc. Either seasonal or full year are both fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Summit
    You are an internet blowhard, just. like. me.

Quote Originally Posted by Nate Dogg View Post
    After graduating in August, and after much debate, I've committed to moving to Jackson this winter. The car is going up for sale in order to get something more suitable and I'll be out of my current place at the end of the month. I've spoken to a couple Jackson locals and read the countless other threads on moving to Jackson, where to look for housing and jobs, etc.

What I am still trying to determine is when would be the ideal time to arrive in town in order to find work and housing? I can stay with my parents and bank some more money before coming, just trying to figure out the ideal time to get there. I know that last year there was quite a bit of talk regarding the limited amount of jobs both through JHMR and around town. I know the general consensus is to avoid working for the mountain, however I am wondering if it would still be wise to at least attend the job fair at the end of the month (Oct 30th and 31st). The only issue with working for the mountain, aside from it interfering with skiing and the low pay, is that most of those jobs don't start for a month. I'll be coming to town with some savings, however I would still prefer to have some income and not be kicking around for a month. I could use Skymiles and take a flight out, find work, and then make the actual move, but I'd really prefer just to pack everything up and drive there and do it once.

I'll be looking for work in the service industry working afternoons/evenings. I've got a variety of work experience -- cleaning toilets, cashier, lifeguarding, driving 26 ft box trucks, foreman at a moving company, managing construction of restaurants all over the country, barbacking, etc. I imagine barbacking will be the most useful of those experiences. I'm hoping to find work for the winter that maximizes time on the hill, doesn't really matter what it is as long as pay is reasonable. I intend to look for something more stable / long-term in the spring that puts my degree in Construction Mgmt to use and makes Jackson viable long term.

Any advice on when to come to town and where to look for work would be much appreciated. On a sidenote, if anyone is looking for a roommate or has leads on housing let me know. I've got good credit and I'll be able to cover first, last, security, etc. Either seasonal or full year are both fine.
    I can't say much about Jackson, but I live in a ski town and I know most employers start ramping up after halloween. That being said, you want to find housing first. Most employers will hire someone who is already established over some knucklehead from out east talking about moving. PM squirrel, he may know of some jobs through his employer and has a really nice/big guest bedroom. That Ride It character was claiming some hudge house on snowking, so he may be someone to talk to as well.

Just left Jackson, was there for 3 years, stoked you decided to make the move.

A useful resource for me was the Jackson Temp Service located on Pearl st. You call them up and once you're in the system they call you the day before to see if you want to work. Its your choice to work and you can stop any time. Its mostly construction clean up jobs and mundane stuff, but pays $11 and can get you through the slow off season or wait times for other jobs. Theres some cool stuff too, one of my jobs was helping put up the East Ridge Chair.
    "Stoke your own fire or burn out like the rest"

I would get here for the job fair. Working for the mountain isn't ideal, but it's good to get out here then and lockup a job for the winter. They will tell you monday or tuesday after the fair if you got a job. You have to be an idiot for them not to hire you, just tell them you've been to jackson a few times and know the area well. The good thing about this is you can still look for better options and bail on the mountain if you get something better, but you will know that you at least have a job for the winter and a free pass.

Temp Services is a great place to start and keeps some money coming in during the offseason. Sometimes you get some cool shit to do, and the pay isn't terrible. I worked on the tram, which was pretty sweet.

ND, PM me when you get closer. I could put you up for a few days.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

get here a month before lifts open... good pass days and good set up time. find a place immediatley since now is the real off-season, use jh radio classifieds and when you get here hit up the community boards (library, whole grocer ect..)

p.s. i love working for jhmr =)
    "I think people resist freedom because they're afraid of the unknown. But it's ironic....That unknown was once very well known. It's where our souls belong....The only solution is to confront them--confront yourself--with the greatest fear imaginable. Expose yourself to your deepest fear. After that, fear has no power, and fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free." -Jim Morrison

this is the best place to find housing
    http://www.jacksonholeradio.com/cgi-...lassifieds.cgi

jhnewsandguide.com is a pretty good resource, http://www.jhnewsandguide.com/classifieds.php

if u know someone in town already, the classifieds in the jackson hole daily have a TON of listings. the hard copy has way more postings than the website

it used to be impossible to find a place to live and easy to find a job. now stuff has flip flopped as the housing classified section is 5 times bigger than the help wanted section

I highly recomend the JH radio classifieds. The 2 rentals Ive scored through the paper ended up being from money grubbing landlords, where my cabin Im at now was found via the radio and is just a low key local, no deposit or last months, 475 a month cash, albeit in Victor.
    Live Free or Die

Thanks for the words of wisdom all. Powder11 - thanks, I'll try to hit up Squirrel and see what the word is over at Snake River. Rideit - thank you for the offer I really appreciate it, I'll be in touch before I head out.

Based on some of the advice above I'm thinking about departing MA in about two weeks to make the job fair. Hopefully I can find work without having to kick around too long. I'm still debating foregoing the job fair and coming mid November instead as it sounds like more jobs will open up then. Either way, lots to do between now and then in terms of selling car, packing/moving out, change of address on all my bills to send them to the parents place in the interim, etc etc.

It looks like I've got about a 3 day drive ahead of me Looks like I-90 W up to Buffalo and then I-80 W along the Great Lakes, Cleveland, Toledo, Chicago and finishing up with 191 N on up to Jackson. I'm trying to determine the best way to split it up...according to Google it will take me 15-16 hours to Chicago...thinking of making that the first leg and staying with a friend there. From there I've got about 24 hours to Jackson...doesn't seem to be much worth seeing or stopping for between Chicago and Jackson (Iowa & Nebraska) but doing that trip without any stops might be asking for trouble.

Thanks again for the help guys

Natedogg-thinking of heading to Jackson as well. Have heard the job fair is the best way to get a job, but I have also heard from people that it isn't the only way. One note from the JHMR website is not to show up to HR until after Nov 9th if you don't make it to the job fair. Not sure how picky JHMR is (someone who works for them maybe chime in) but I know I worked for another resort in Tahoe this past winter, and while the pay sucked, I got as much or as little time to ski as I wanted (at least 2 hours every day I worked), and as long as I was avaiable for the holidays and weekends, I got full time pass holding benefits without working full time hours. Not to mention it was great to have a locker room and boot warmer at the base of the hill. I could just show up in street clothes and change onsite, which was awesome. From working at a resort last year, I would be worried resorts everywhere are going to be hiring less people to start with, but that's just an assumption.

On a similar note, how is the "Jackson Attitude" I know that in Tahoe we have a resort that is filled with people that ski harder, hike faster, look better, ski better, have more money, did I mention are better skiers than everyone else? than any other mountain, and let you know it. Rumor has it Jackson is a town full of people with the same attitude (sure, largely warranted, I just don't want to hear about/have it rubbed in my face).

I mean, I'm just a Southern boy, I can't ski anyways...

It looks like I've got about a 3 day drive ahead of me...
    I've done the drive from CO to Jax lots and the drive to and from central NY and CO lots as well, and the drive from central NY to Btown lots as well. With that said...Shoot for stopping in Chicago (that will be a long day, but you can do it with the time zone change if you start very early AM), and Omaha for your overnights.

Start very very early in the AM each day, and don't forget to plan to avoid big cities' rush hours as you pass by or you could get hosed. Also, you don't want to be fatigued going into the final 3 hours, or you could have a head on with a cow out there in NW WY. Some pretty barren stretches. Day 2 and 3 will both suck. Day 3 is likely to be very windy and very boring. Gas up when you get the chance - you'll be driving into the wind for a long time, and towns are few and far between.

But you'll be in Jackson by the time it's done; good on ya.
    Everything is coming up Brady.

jables - I'm definitely shooting for the job fair at this point, my major hurdle at this point is selling my car. You make some good points on working for the mountain...I'll be shooting to make the job fair to hopefully at least take advantage of that opportunity. If a better opportunity comes along I'll grab it. As far as Jackson attitude, I for one can't say, but I've got thick skin so no worries here. I won't be making any headlines with my skiing prowess but that's fine, I'll have plenty of time to get on the hill and hone in on the skills I've missed living on the ice coast. Keep in touch and let me know when you head out.

Chris - Chicago definitely looks like stop #1....stop #2 I'm not sure. Omaha seems like probably the easiest as far as a major city, but that will make for a short day #2 and an extremely long day #3, no? Either way, advice is appreciated, definitely food for thought.

"It looks like I've got about a 3 day drive ahead of me Looks like I-90 W up to Buffalo and then I-80 W along the Great Lakes, Cleveland, Toledo, Chicago and finishing up with 191 N on up to Jackson. I'm trying to determine the best way to split it up...according to Google it will take me 15-16 hours to Chicago...thinking of making that the first leg and staying with a friend there. From there I've got about 24 hours to Jackson...doesn't seem to be much worth seeing or stopping for between Chicago and Jackson (Iowa & Nebraska) but doing that trip without any stops might be asking for trouble."

I've done Chicago to Jackson straight once and it was pretty shitty. If you're looking just to get here I'd say drive it in 2 straight. It's doable, but sucks. The last time I drove from eastern Mass to Jackson it was in June. I bought a car since it was cheaper to buy in Mass than in the Wyoming area. I drove from basically the Cape to just past Cleveland, OH, then from there to Grand Island, NE, then to Jackson. I did that drive in about 34 hours with traffic in on the Wyoming section of I-80. It's a shitty drive but the fastest way in my opinion without completely being exhausted the second day. When Snowrider, myself and many many other east coasters did the drive we took 2 1/2 weeks to do it, but left on October 4th.

I think it's worth getting here early and meeting people. It's a good way to get different hook ups as far as jobs and housing. Plus the fall off season can be fun and Halloween tends to bring the community together. Good luck with the trip!
    "Figure if I study high, take the test high, I'll get high scores..." -Redman

I'm trying to determine the best way to split it up...according to Google it will take me 15-16 hours to Chicago...thinking of making that the first leg and staying with a friend there. From there I've got about 24 hours to Jackson...doesn't seem to be much worth seeing or stopping for between Chicago and Jackson (Iowa & Nebraska) but doing that trip without any stops might be asking for trouble.

Thanks again for the help guys
    you may want to do the last part of that drive in daylight. take 287 north off I-80. It's only a 2 lane highway, but nobody on it, so you can set the cruise on 85 and g'iver. I did it the opposite way from Jackson and the scenery is well worth the extra hour it may add on to the trip. You come up the wind river and then go through a pass (probably paved by now, but under construction) and then throught the back door to Teton park.

Please tell me 'trash or treasure' is still on the radio every morning. You could score some deals listening and we got our place along the snake south of town on good ole KMTN.
    why make ten turns when you only need to make NONE!

PM sent ... I've been thinking of doing the same exact thing for the past two months. Just graduated in August... ready to live for a bit.

And I'm in Boston.

Quote Originally Posted by elevens View Post
    Please tell me 'trash or treasure' is still on the radio every morning. You could score some deals listening and we got our place along the snake south of town on good ole KMTN.
    Good ole KMTN is still running T'n'T, Monday through Saturday from 9:30 to 9:50.

Quote Originally Posted by schwerty View Post
    Good ole KMTN is still running T'n'T, Monday through Saturday from 9:30 to 9:50.
    The world is still good.

Who's got some $2 bills?
    why make ten turns when you only need to make NONE!

Well, I sold the car Monday, finished moving out of South Boston on Friday, and did an abundance of work on the old reliable SUV in preparation for the trip. The truck is loaded up and ready to go, departing the south shore of Mass at 5am tomorrow. I'm shooting to arrive in Chicago around 8pm (9pm EST) tomorrow night. I'll likely spend a day in Chicago and then move on to Nebraska Weds morning. If all goes as planned I'll be rolling into Jackson Thursday evening. I'll be attending the job fair when I arrive but if anyone has leads on housing & other job opportunities I'd love to hear them. I'll follow up with a full report when I get there. /end blog

I'm doing the same and can't wait for the season to start...

from one boston mag to another... you rule. stoked for you... you leave for what will be a most epic winter tomorrow am. fucking awesome... safe travels...

Not looking for a room mate but I will be looking for people to ski with.

This is awesome. Enjoy jhole, it's beyond fucking sweet.

Good luck and safe travels!
    go Go GO!

23-24: 73. 22-23: 56. 21-22: ?. 20-21: 10+?. 19-20: 79. 18-19: 86! 17-18: 80. 16-17: 56. 15-16: 40. 14-15: 33. 13-14: 56ish. 12-13: 51. 11-12: 65. 10-11: 69. 09-10: 65.

Both nipplehigh and patrickski pay people fresh out of collage for HJ's... Not sure how far you are willing to go for work but snowrider used to get payed extra for doing it in the hut on top of glory....
    "Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die tomorrow"

Moment skis