Check Out Our Shop

surface 'new life'

anyone heard any info on this ski. the website claims it is basically a softer skinnier chopstick; "A full on, symmetrical fat ski with a long, continuous rocker for high performance going both forward or in reverse"...but then this picture shows it having their '3 stage rocker', not the continuous rocker of praxis/chopstick. just a proto for the picture? or is the rocker really like that?

http://www.surfaceskis.com/gear/hard...ife/index.html
    http://tetongravity.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=932&dateline=12042516  96

fondled it at causwell in slc yesterday... doooope ski. i think it is pretty much three stage but it's super mellow compared to ll2's. i talked with the owner for a bit, super good dudes doin cool shit, i wasn't considering surface before yesterday but i am now for sure. thing's definitely not a noodle, i haven't held a chopstick but i assume the new life is actually stiffer, and is definitely stiffer than other skis in the category (hellbent, ep pro). looks sick for sure. what are plannin to do with it?

Looks like the Live Life 2 renamed, perhaps some tweaks. Search this site, there's a good thread on the LL/2. It's a damn good & playful powder ski, nothing like Chopsticks as the rocker is far more abrupt & radical. I quite like them, but this is a pow specific ride.
    == | slacktopia | ==
    http://twitch.tv/fugitivephilo
    still bangin' beats

nope it's a new ski, fully symmetrical like a chopstick with more rocker. the only thing i'm not to stoked on is the 184 only length, especially with the amount of rocker. definitely will be a sweet tree ski, but don't expect it to charge (although the flex was fairly solid).

i'm looking for a good-day (any day besides suncrust/serious high pressure) alta ski and jib ski. i want to center-mount this ski, since one of my main goals this year is to ski and land as many things switch as possible. after skiing centermounted park skis for so long, it's wierd trying to ski a pow ski "forward"...instead i like to ski "centered" not pressuring the tips the whole time...just staying balanced...

i have k2 kung fujas for park/hard days, and praxis pows for pow. i'm really stoked on continuous reverse camber because (after riding praxis pows, hellbents, praxis RX and kung fujas) i really dig being able to ramp up on your tails/noses instead of hitting the "kink" of the rocker (hellbent/traditional surface design) and having the ski throw you into the backseat. it just feels so much better while slarving a turn and being able to feel the ski the whole way....more control IMO. also, after experiencing the wheelie effect of hellbents i am completely over that. with continuous rocker if you get tossed violently into the backseat (say riding out a cliffdrop) you can compensate and get back to center, but with the kink, all of your weight gets placed on the tail at once and the tail is at a funky angle--which leads to wheelies...not fun if your LZ is sketchy.

i'm convinced in a year or two (for lifers/pow-fiends) there will almost be no need for a "traditional" camber ski--instead skis with minimal tip/tail rocker and recurve will become the everyday ski, and if it starts to snow, or you hit a little pow patch, you won't curse not having rockered boards.

so anyways, i really love the surfiness of continuous boards, and i need traditional sidecut to carve (mostly off booter lips, otherwise i would just ride my praxis pows). after screwing around with widths, anything ~115 is perfect for an everyday ski--small enough that it's not a pain in the ass to turn in moguled out terrain and not too heavy, big enough to ski pow (anything smaller i would feel wierd). chopsticks are 128 underfoot...waaaay too big if it isn't soft/pow. plus they are a little stiff for my liking. the problem i keep running into is that i'm looking for a secondary/smaller pow ski, and companies are selling pure pow skis.

the new life sounded like the closest ski possible (besides 333) to my liking. it's a bit wide and short, but beggars can't be choosers. i have been looking for a ski like this for two years...and i got unbelievably stoked yesterday and then i saw the picture of the new life rocker and it looked kinked and my heart sunk.

is there a reason companies don't build the ski i'm thinking of? is there a flaw in continuous rocker i don't see? my friend said his chopsticks could get a little squirrely at times, but i forget what he was referring to...

sorry for the length. i think about this alot.
    http://tetongravity.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=932&dateline=12042516  96

i'm dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by the Mad View Post
    Why do you hate the baby Jesus?
    longer skis, with essentially bigger noses/tails.

yea i'm not saying these skis are going to replace "normal skis". i was saying recurve is going to (camber underfoot, small amount of rocker tip and tails), i.e. praxis pow RX or 2010 kung fujas. instead of riding what you would for a "normal ski" you just add 5-10-? cms to the length of your ski... i guess if you have a racing background though you may want to keep your camber. but whatever, moving on.

I've ridden these a few times. buy them.

lax: that's exactly the type of ski i'm looking for. this would fit the bill perfectly. everything besides the length makes me tingle, but i can look past that as i have 194 xxl's. in that picture you posted, i don't really see the kink you were talking about, maybe a little bit, but it's definitely smoother than than ll2's. plus the fact that without the completely continuous rocker, these will hold a more consistent edge underfoot when you're approaching a lip or something.

Quote Originally Posted by ectreeskier11 View Post
    lax: that's exactly the type of ski i'm looking for. this would fit the bill perfectly. everything besides the length makes me tingle, but i can look past that as i have 194 xxl's. in that picture you posted, i don't really see the kink you were talking about, maybe a little bit, but it's definitely smoother than than ll2's. plus the fact that without the completely continuous rocker, these will hold a more consistent edge underfoot when you're approaching a lip or something.

yea when i was talking about "kinks" being a problem i was referring mostly to hellbents...which have both a large amount of rocker and it happens early (the smaller and shorter the rocker the less of a problem the "kink" would be). the rocker is definitely very smooth and they WILL hold a more continuous edge on groomers or approaching a lip, but my priorities lie in pow skiing competely. i really don't care if riding groomers or moguls sucks--i will be in the backcountry then or riding park. i think i'm going to buy chopsticks and just try to deal with the width underfoot.the chopsticks are supposed to have softer tips/tails and stiffer underfoot (a design i dig alot on the kung fujas)...i really just want a chopstick lite essentially. my buddy who was digging another surface ski converted to the new life too, it looks real sick, just not perfect for me (and if i'm going to spend 50+ days on them this year i want them as perfect as possible)

Quote Originally Posted by ectreeskier11 View Post
    fondled it at causwell in slc yesterday...
    They got any Live Life's there available for fondling? Where is this place? There's no info on their site and google doesn't seem to know about it.

Quote Originally Posted by dfinn View Post
    They got any Live Life's there available for fondling? Where is this place? There's no info on their site and google doesn't seem to know about it.
    Email/call them, their office is by the Porcupine.
    The guys over there are super cool and I'm sure you could drop by.
    When life gives you haters, make haterade.

causwells owned by the same guys that own surface... so just go there, they have all their model's i believe, including some older ones for dealing. best little local shop i've found around here for sure. its on fort union, a little east of 2000, where autumn garage used to be. should be the spot to be this winter from what i've seen so far.

Sorry to hijack. Does anyone have any info and rocker pics of the 2010 Live Lifes? Are they tip rocker and traditional tail?

i've owned a couple pairs of helbents, but now that my shop picked up surface, I'm gonna get to ride these bad boys! and I can't wait to see how they perform compared to the bents. im super stoked about the stiffer flex with the complete symmetry.
    Last edited by CodyMont; 01-17-2010 at 07:57 PM.

not to mention being much lighter than a ski like the hellbent or chopstick (from what i've heard)

Quote Originally Posted by D(C) View Post
    Sorry to hijack. Does anyone have any info and rocker pics of the 2010 Live Lifes? Are they tip rocker and traditional tail?
    I also want to know about the 2010 Live Life rocker profile.
    We heard you in our twilight caves, one hundred fathom deep below, for notes of joy can pierce the waves, that drown each sound of war and woe.

Quote Originally Posted by CodyMont View Post
    and the rocker is more continuous than the one life (not the kinked out, "three stage rocker")
    although... the live life IS still more "kinked" than the new life's rocker, for sure.

thanks for the effort but...

also, CodyMont, you do know that you can edit and add to posts rather than making three consecutive posts, right?
    We heard you in our twilight caves, one hundred fathom deep below, for notes of joy can pierce the waves, that drown each sound of war and woe.

Anybody know the turn radiuses of surface's lineup?

It's the one piece of information about the skis I can't find.

hey,

i read the hole thread, but i´m still not sure about the stiffness of the NewLife. is it really stiffer then the HB? much stiffer? i have a HB and i don´t really like it because the ski is really soft. and i´m not sure about the lenght of the NewLife. what lenght would you suggest to me? i´m 1,89cm tall. can you help me?

thanks chris