Check Out Our Shop
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Lane Meyer View Post

You just have to choose your summit days properly. The only reason I still had on a shell was that I was too lazy to remove it. I was too hot, but it made for nice napping weather. Photo by LBskier

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Sweet TR, though personally I would have camped at the trailhead and done the fast&light one day version. Lugging all that gear at elevation sounds rough.

For good eats in Mt. Shasta hit up The Goat. You may even catch my dad there playing the gee-tar.
    You just have to bring the right amenities to base camp. A nice is Pinot Noir is a good choice.
    Photo by LBskier

The problem with The Goat is they close too damn early. We had beers at Bunny Flats parking lot, and missed eating (and drinking) at The Goat

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

speaking of the one day push versus camping overnight...got two votes for doing the big one day. Anybody in the "camp" of camping overnight?

Lane Meyer - what would you guys do if you were to do it again?

Thanks!

We (LBskier and I) did it in two days. A lot depends on route. Avi gulch or West Face can be done in a day, but it is a really long day. If you are in great shape do it in a day. If you are an old fucked with a bit of a gut (like me) do in over two days. Some of the other routes have much longer approaches so two or more days may be better. The other advantage of multiple days is to use it as a base camp and ski other routes (no rule says you have to go to the top, and there are some great lines.) Now that I have been on the summit, I would have to be talked into going much past the top of the Red Bank , since the best skiing starts near there, at least for routes on that side.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

I've done it both ways and each has its advantages. 7000' is a big day any way you look at it, but if you're fit and don't mind waking up at a silly early hour it's very possible on the Avy Gulch or Holtum/Wintun ridge route. Two days is definitely mellower (if you can sleep), if you've got a full first day you can take your time heading up to camp with the weight on your back and a 3500-4000' summit day let's you sleep in more.

Tried a one day last Saturday and my partner woke up late then was spent at 12,500'. Gonna try again as a two day Friday/Saturday with ultra-light camping gear (BD Firstlight Tent, Jet Boil, 20 degree down sleeping bag, dinnner/breakfast, and light Granite Gear backpack is all I'll carry that I wouldn't on a day trip anyway)

Quote Originally Posted by ski_rick View Post
    I've done it both ways and each has its advantages. 7000' is a big day any way you look at it, but if you're fit and don't mind waking up at a silly early hour it's very possible on the Avy Gulch or Holtum/Wintun ridge route. Two days is definitely mellower (if you can sleep), if you've got a full first day you can take your time heading up to camp with the weight on your back and a 3500-4000' summit day let's you sleep in more.

Tried a one day last Saturday and my partner woke up late then was spent at 12,500'. Gonna try again as a two day Friday/Saturday with ultra-light camping gear (BD Firstlight Tent, Jet Boil, 20 degree down sleeping bag, dinnner/breakfast, and light Granite Gear backpack is all I'll carry that I wouldn't on a day trip anyway)
    Hey Ski_Rick - i think we're cross posting on forums! (telemarktips) But yeah my friend and I are most likely doing the same thing as you guys. Taking Friday off work so might as well make the most of the extra time and camp overnight and carry as light of a pack as possible. We'll see you up on the Hot-Win route! We're two snowboarders - say hi if you spot us!

Beautiful pics: nice TR!

Good job on not getting up so damn early on Day 2 and taking your time on the ascent. I think it helped make your descent better. I suppose if it were warmer, you could have grabbed melt water up by the camp area.

I've been up the HT route. I think you took pictures from the same places I did, put the skins on in the same spot, took the same route. I felt like I was back there with you.

Good job on sticking it out to the summit and making it back in one piece with a sense of humor.

Quote Originally Posted by julesrules View Post
    speaking of the one day push versus camping overnight...got two votes for doing the big one day. Anybody in the "camp" of camping overnight?

Thanks!
    Go from the trailhead. I've done it both ways and the long, light day vs the gear haul is a no brainer on that route imo. Long day for sure. I did it the day before these guys did (gratutious no love thread promo: [ame="http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=162394"]Summer Solstice Shasta Skiing TR - Teton Gravity Research Forums[/ame]), started late (6:30am) and still made it to just under 13k where we decided to ski because of warming, by 1:30. Have fun. Snow from 10k up is all time.
    Last edited by mikemcee; 06-25-2009 at 08:05 AM.

fantastic TR. Well played.

Glad y'all liked the TR.

I would probably not do the camping option again - I've done it both ways now and I think the one day push is the way to go. So much easier to not have to carry all that gear and weight. Honestly, the hardest part oft he whole thing was the last bit of skiing at the end of the second day, with all that ridiculous weight on my back. My knee is still sore from all of that.

Lane, I agree.. one day push is best. Last week I did a car shuttle - left a car at brewer creek and climbed the south side avy gulch for the first time. Skinned all the way to the summit, then rode the perfect corn down the Wintun! 12 hours car to car.

This is what skiing is all about!

Thanks mang for awesome pics and writeup.

The floggings will continue until morale improves.

Great TR! Shasta is definitely on my list of 14,000 peaks to climb, enjoyed the pics.

I'd vote for two days! But I live at 7,850 so sleeping at 10,000 feet wouldn't affect me much. Lugging heavy shit sucks, but worth it for the views. I'd want to be able to sit, enjoy view, and soak in the surroundings. Plus I'd want to give the Lemurians a chance to speak to me

We camped for 3 days at American basin at 11,400 or whatever in May in Southern Colorado. Wondered why no one else stayed and looked at us so strange with out car camp and all, wasn't warm, but amazing natural beauty was worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by julesrules View Post

Thanks!
    Last edited by PowTrees; 06-27-2009 at 11:13 AM.

got off the summit earlier today! Did it over two days - the Hot-Win. Glad we chose that option because 1) no hiking in the dark and 2) witnessing the sunset and sunrise up high at around 10,300 ft. was pretty awesome.

great weather today for shasta - super clear and warm but no signs of wet snow instability. The sun cups were pretty ridiculous from 10,000 ft on down but it was rideable off the top.

Thanks for whoever built the bomb-ass level and wind-shielded campsite, complete with a kitchen space - we took full advantage!