Thread: Which new bike?

Which new bike?

Not a hardcore rider by any means, but i try to get at least 50 miles a week in here during the summer as we have a sweet system of bike paths that I can get on about half a mile from my house, mostly as a fitness thing/ski maintenance workout.

I have a basic bike setup now Giant ocr3 or equivalent from previous year that i'm just too big for, and have been looking for something in a 58 cm frame. I figured that i would just get the bigger version of the giant, but after poking around there seem to be a ton of subtle differences in derailers/crank bearings/shifters/etc between the major bike manufacturers.

I have no idea if I should give a shit about external bearings, tiagra vs something better, thumb/index vs index/index shifters, or any of this other fancy shit. Durability makes some sense to me - i've definitely smoked a bunch of spokes on the current ride - but as far as light goes, it seems like i can knock 10 pounds off of my fat ass for much cheaper than 1 on the bike. 20% off the scott cheap-ass whatever-the-fuck basic model at REI is looking pretty good right now.

I'm trying to spend <1K on this thing, and would love to hear opinions on whether or not this shit is worth an extra couple of hundred bucks.
    No, the real point is, I don't give a damn
    - Carl

I just bought a cheap-ass Scott roadbike for hammering around the city on. I scored a S60 flat bar speedster new for $420 (classic) off of the local CL and love it. Compared with the nearly 3K I spent on my mountain bike, it shifts just fine. Sure the brakes are a little weak but thats why we wear helmets. Not sure if I can be of help but shoot me a pm if you want, I did a good bit of research and found the Scott to be exactly what I wanted. I had NO clue how much fun city riding would be and I was way off base assuming it would be boring. I conservatively avg. two o-shit moments a ride...

for 1k you should be able to do better than tiagra, at least 105
    ‎Preserving farness, nearness presences nearness in nearing that farness

Buy my cross bike...best of both worlds, better than that Scott piece of shit for sure and under $1000! BAM!
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

Don't really have much advice to give about your ride except that you should go 105 over tiagra for sure, but glad to see you're able to get out and have some fun! I'm limited to the road biking world now as well until my knee full heals- which will not be until September.
    -
    14erskiers.com

"Don't be afraid of the spaces between your dreams and reality. If you can dream it, you can make it so." - Belva Davis

"There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle"--Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by The Reverend Floater View Post
    Buy my cross bike...best of both worlds, better than that Scott piece of shit for sure and under $1000! BAM!
    Too small - need at least a 58cm frame.
    No, the real point is, I don't give a damn
    - Carl