Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Finding Cletus

Thumbs up

dooooooooooooo it. do it.
    Craig Kelly is my co-pilot.

Buy Your Lift Tickets in Advance and Save

Day 3

Day 2 was lost to rearranging hotels and tickets and then sitting at the airport waiting for the Rev´s plane to stop circling. I´m sure he´ll tell you all about it some other time. Anyway, in the end, he got in, and stayed one night at some pimp digs we couldn´t get out of.

Breakfast Area (staffed by ultra cute Argentine named Lilian)
    http://www.tetongravity.com/usergall...che2%20013.jpg

Indoor Outdoor pool Overlooking Lake
    http://www.tetongravity.com/usergall...che2%20016.jpg

Well, that sure sucked.
    Anyway, headed to the hill as soon as we could get around to it. Much to say on that subject and the day as a whole, but generally, it was good. Very good. It had snowed another foot overnight, and although the morning had thin clouds passing by, visibility was much improved and the temps had dropped, leaving us with excellent coverage and smoothness in all directions. Except for the Rev´s spanish, but again, another story.

Cerro Catedral, Overlooking Bariloche
    http://www.tetongravity.com/usergall...che2%20014.jpg

After a warm up run, we started hiking the ridge to the steeper stuff. A bootpack filled with the few gringos in town was laid down not long after.

http://www.tetongravity.com/usergall...che2%20017.jpg

http://www.tetongravity.com/usergall...che2%20024.jpg

The hike accessed some excellent stuff, and we made the best of it. We ran into Arty on the 2nd lap, but quickly lost him and Gunnar just as fast. So, we went back for one last lap before I started cramping up, again. Sigh.

The Rev, Getting His
    http://www.tetongravity.com/usergall...che2%20026.jpg

A hasty return to town to check email and switch hotels revealed a message that Cornhole had succesfully arrived after a day of struggles, and had been at the airport for about an hour. I raced to the airport, but found no Cornholing being done. However, I returned from the attempted pickup to discover the Man, the Myth, the Cornhole, at the latest hotel, with the dirty Reverend passed out nearby.

So, its off to the pub later tonight, and then back to the area tomorrow, to hit the parts that didn´t open today!

Arty, we´ll look for you in the lift line around 930 again, although we are planning an assault on Wilkenneys, so take that with a grain of salt. Keep an eye to the south on the Princesa lift, its the next area they should let loose.

ciao
    Benito, Cornhole, Rev
    Thrutchworthy Production Services

I love you guys!

But I also hate you.

No, no really I love you guys!

But still I hate you!

No love!

Hate!

Love
    Hate
    Love
    HAte

LAOVE
    HATE:
    LOVAE
    HATEAE
    LAOVEASTATEALOVASDGJaslgkasfajfjlkdfnkvb
    Waste your time, read my crap, at:
    One Gear, Two Planks

Great stuff!

Originally posted by Tyrone Shoelaces

LAOVE
    HATE:
    LOVAE
    HATEAE
    LAOVEASTATEALOVASDGJaslgkasfajfjlkdfnkvb
    I too LAOVE and HATEAE you guys.

What an amazing day! I get up and going only to find out the ski room is still locked thanks to employee flakeage. Shitttttt!!!! It wouldn´t open til 9:30 at which point I figured I´d missed Yo and El Padre. So I wait around for a few minutes just in case. Finally said fuckit and headed for the pow. As it turns out they were late anyway, later they mumbled something about a fat crash pad and high school girls...

So I took a couple of laps before heading for an untracked ¨stash.¨ I use quotes because it was in plain site of 3 or 4 operating lifts and only required an easy traverse to get to. My line was the only one there for over 4 lift rides. It´s beautiful man. Fuckin´beautiful. So I duck into the blower for a few more laps and then head back over to my pretty line to hit the little cliff band. A fellow gringo is spotty for a friend and I get a clear sign from him. Yup, I hit something over 10 feet. Well just a little over, probably a 12 footer. Best of all, I stuck it. So I stop at the bottom to gape and said gringo hits it all pretty like and then skis over to me.

"Hey, you from Tahoe?"

"Yeah, how´d you guess?"

"It was the Spatulas. Like only 2 people outside of Tahoe know about them."

So that´s how I met Gunner. We ended up skiing together with his crazy Italian boader friend all day. A lap or two later we ducked into some waist deep blower in secret spot 53689. Sooooo fucking good, we lapped the shit out of it. Then we caught the poma when it openned and went hiking. That´s when we ran into Cletus and the Rev. Somehow we lost them on the first lap (bullshit, I know you guys hit Laguna you bastards ). Four laps on some sweet unbelievable high speed pow and we were done. I skied from about 9:45 to 5:30, no breaks. One of the best days I´ve ever had, but then isn´t every powder day?

I´ll look for you guys tomorrow. Hopefully we can hookup for more than one run. Keep in touch too. We´re looking to hit up Izzy on Thursday maybe. From what I´ve heard, you might be VERY interested...
    "I knew in an instant that the three dollars I had spent on wine would not go to waste."

Originally posted by meatdrink9
    Disturbed Nurse Post Preservation Service
    Since when does finding the opposite sex attractive, of which are interested in the same hobbies, mean that one is disturbed?

Originally posted by Arty50
    later they mumbled something about a fat crash pad and high school girls...
    When all the high school boys are busy jamming themselves into phone booths someone's gotta step up and entertain the ladies, you know

NICE PICS Yoss!

All the hotels there are sweet (some just have freaking awesome pools!).

That little steeper spiny area is fun, it was pretty much all we could ski last year b/c of full on whiteout conditions and 100+km winds.

Hope you guys get to the backside and bring some chocolate reports too - some of the best chocolate I've ever had in that town...

fKnA. i think i should take september off next year

Thumbs up

stoke rising

this is a great TR Post. Keep it coming YOSS! I wish I was there sharing in the southern winter, makes me wish I didnt take this job so I could revisit argentina with y'all. Next year perhaps...keep the stoke and pics coming!

I think cletus is posting a new TR for wednesday, but let me tell you quickly that I LOVE it here. dinner was a huge salad and pizza and beers for 7 bucks. a full hour massage is about 15 us. The keyboards really bite, though. can´t figure them out.

The skiing today was beautiful. I´ve never skied in tahoe snow, but everyone was saying it was just like that. Buttery smooth goodness, and the faster I went the better it felt. Fantastic terrain and fun peeps. I wish this week would last forever.

late
    a
    It's idomatic, beatch.

So, apparently, I was WASTED last night. WASTED. I say apparently, because the two people (the Rev and Cornhole) who tell me I was a total moron and uncharacteristically out of my gord and who have been making fun of me all day for waving wildly and blowing kisses at random Argentine chicks across the bar (who for the record and to my credit subsequently came over and introduced themselves as CarolinaIHaveGreatBoobs AndLoveToFlauntThem and FloraISmellLikeRoses AndWantToDanceWithCornhole ButHeSeemsToBeSayingSomethingAboutTeeth AndWalkingTheWrongDirectionAsIHeadForTheDanceFloor ) - which is in and of itself rather significant because Argentine women expect the men to initiate any conversations - were also obliterated. Although, admittedly, they might have been somewhat less ridiculous than I. Needless to say, much amusement was had, largely at my expense.

Anyway, after we managed to get up this morning and get to the hill, and after fighting the Argentine cluserfuck of the first day of season pass sale deals for the locals for next season, we finally got up on the mountain with Arty and headed for some of the amazing lift accessed bc that Catedral has to offer.

The skies were clear, the temps were cold, and the sun was shining.

Catedral Overlooking Lake Nahuel Haupi
    http://www.tetongravity.com/usergall...che2%20027.jpg

The Andes to the West
    http://www.tetongravity.com/usergall...che2%20028.jpg

http://www.tetongravity.com/usergall...che2%20029.jpg

On the way out to Laguna, the bc area, we headed back one more time to the playground of the days before, with Cornhole getting his first turns, and 4 maginions finally together.

The Rev On The First Bootpack of The Day
    http://www.tetongravity.com/usergall...che2%20030.jpg

After cruising the still soft crud, we took a lift up and out, and then followed a long bootpack and sidestep around to the south of the area. We turned a corner as we contoured around a ridgeline, and discovered a little slice of paradise. Laguna, one bowl above another, with Patagonian spires ringing the top of the upper bowl, and a frozen lake at the bottom of the lower bowl. Some of the most incredible terrain in one place I´ve ever seen. A filmmakers wet dream. You can stand in the center (safely) of each bowl, and look west, north, and south 270 degrees to the kinds of lines we all fantasize about. It´s not AK, its almost something better, something acheivable for the wannabes like us, but at the uppermost limit of asthetics. Its the place that you can imagine yourself looking good enough to be in that magazine.

Looking Into the Center of the Upper Bowl
    http://www.tetongravity.com/usergall...che2%20031.jpg

Looking Up At Some Of The Goods Above The Upper Bowl
    http://www.tetongravity.com/usergall...che2%20033.jpg

The Top Half of the Lower Bowl in the Foreground, Upper Bowl in Shadow Above
    http://www.tetongravity.com/usergall...che2%20036.jpg

Top to Bottom Far Lookers Left from Lake
    http://www.tetongravity.com/usergall...che2%20037.jpg

It being late in the day, we dropped the lower bowl, Arty and I bearing lookers right out of the second to last picture into largely untracked south facing smooth windbuff, and The Rev and Cornhole descending the east facing untracked area in the center of the same pic, directly above and then down though the chokes just right of center at the bottom of the pic. It was amazing.

When I pulled out the SLR to shoot the boyz coming down, Gunnar - who was with Thor and a few others of our now gathered crew who had dropped even farther lookers right - groaned, and said he´d just thrown a Lincoln off a small cliff. We agreed to shoot it again tommorow though, so that should be interesting.

The run out of the area sucked badly, commando skiing through brush and mud, so tomorrow we´re headed back to yo-yo the place with skins and full touring gear.

A great day, dampened only by the news that Adolf Aller Busch isn´t going to be coming after all, as his boss sucks a big fat dick. Scotty will be missed sorely, on and off the snow. But I plan to get really really drunk again on Thursday or Friday night on his behalf, so there´s always that.
    Last edited by Yossarian; 09-08-2004 at 08:10 PM.

FKNA guys

That looks fucking fantastic.

[Cartman as R.E. Lee] I... hate you guys...so much...[/CaREL]

"Jealousy" is such a small, inadequate word.

Thumbs up

Bastardos. The snow, terrain and weather don't look like they could get any better. It's also nice to hear that cletus is playing evil drunk bar kid.

More reports and pics!!!!!

Talking

YES!!!

Originally posted by Yossarian

The Top Half of the Lower Bowl in the Foreground, Upper Bowl in Shadow Above
    http://www.tetongravity.com/usergall...che2%20036.jpg

Top to Bottom Far Lookers Left from Lake
    http://www.tetongravity.com/usergall...che2%20037.jpg
    Waste your time, read my crap, at:
    One Gear, Two Planks

I heart all of you.

buuuuuuut, Im wondering why I see no bombholes under any of those cliffs. Pussies.
    steezarific!!

Originally posted by meatdrink9
    It's also nice to hear that cletus is playing evil drunk bar kid.

Your not there. Somebody gotta do it.
    steezarific!!

gotta show some bumpin love for the homies lost in SA. i'll pour out a little of that old english for yall.

Originally posted by hardrider
    buuuuuuut, Im wondering why I see no bombholes under any of those cliffs. Pussies.
    Did Jamie Pierre steal your password?

I hucked my meat the day before. That has to count for something.

Currently Im in Secret Location 9563. Only secret. In other words, I could tell you but Id have to bitch slap you really hard. As my penance for skiing knee to waist deep pow while the rest of you are sitting in sweltering heat, Im sick today. Fuck. Hopefully Ill ski tomorrow and add a new report.

Yesterday was rad though. I got to ski two laps in the aforementioned BC sickness location. All I have to say is I heart Argentina.
    "I knew in an instant that the three dollars I had spent on wine would not go to waste."

Sorry to hear that Arty, hope tomorrow is good over there. We´re eagerly awaiting a report, as we may be following in your footsteps shortly.

Today was awesome. We hooked up early with Thor and Gunnar again, and spent the day back in the same area. I´ll let someone else write about it, but it was pretty facking sweet. Gunnar tossed a Lincoln of one cliff and stuck a pretty big drop off another, and Thor threw a massive tele front flip off a booter someone had built looking out over the lake. The snow has held up, although it was facking hot, so some aspects are getting really cooked.

Tonight we´re headed to Wilk.´s again, for more barracho trouble. Prolly roll in there early, around 11pm.

laters

OK, I'm officially jealous. What does one of these South American adventures cost? I may have to pull the trigger next year.